Man Rams Benz Into Bus Passengers, Killing One

george

Mum faints at daughter's funeral

The 68-year-old mother of the woman killed when a man drove his car into a crowd at a bus stop fainted at her daughter's funeral yesterday after hearing a message of condolence from the driver, read to her by his mother. Thongkham Luangsaeng was rushed to hospital after hearing the message from Kanpithak Patchimsawat, 20, who yesterday denied police charges of premeditated murder, attempted murder and physical assault. Hundreds of mourners packed Thong Khong temple to bid a final farewell to Saichon, a 42-year-old financial officer with the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority. Mr Kanpithak's mother and former Miss Thailand, Mrs Sawinee, arrived with the note and a garland to express her sorrow. Mrs Sawinee refused to disclose the content of the note and said her son was not mentally or physically capable of attending the funeral. She said Mr Kanpithak was very stressed and his condition had worsened. She placed sandalwood flowers at the casket and left before the cremation. Kanpithak's father, Kan-anek, said he would put up land worth about 800,000 baht to bail out his son today. Three victims remain in hospital with serious injuries. One of them is Saengmanee Imsodari, a manager at the Nam Song Hotel in Laos. Her French employer has filed separate criminal and civil charges against Mr Kanpithak. Doctors said Mrs Saengmanee was on a respirator and severe injuries to her pelvis meant she would not walk normally again.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/09Jul2007_news02.php

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any information on what model of Mercedes that was involved?

I'd be interested in knowing just what the gross weight of this deadly missle was...

I've tried to look for the info in various Thai websites, but it has not been mentioned anywhere. :D

I've only found a pic posted on a well-known Thai webboard.

post-7865-1183896945_thumb.jpg

Thank you....

any Mercedes experts out there that can identify this model?

from the news reports the plate number on it is "6699" :o

looks like an e220 cdi :D

Thank you for that. :D

The Mercedes E220 CDI weighs in at 5,190 pounds..... quite the deadly missle when it comes to rest sitting on someone's chest or pelvis.

Edited by sriracha john

Kanpithak's father, Kan-anek, said he would put up land worth about 800,000 baht to bail out his son today

[\quote]

A better use for that 800k would be to give it to the victims - both deceased and injured.

This Kan-anek guy is definitely no Buddhist.....

Simon

Son of ex-Miss Thailand granted bail

Mon, July 9, 2007 : Last updated 20:26 pm

Police granted on Monday temporary bail to Kanpitak Pachimsawas, the man accused of killing one woman and injuring 10 other people by driving his car into a crowd of people on a Bangkok footpath.

His mother Savinee Pakaranang, a former Miss Thailand, submitted title deeds for land in Bang Na worth Bt6.39 million for his bail release.

nationmultimedia.com

Metropolitan Police Division 5 commander Anant Srihiran said police granted bail to Kanpitak because Savinee provided the title deeds and police had to wait for testimonies from the 10 injured people.

Anant said Kanpitak initially denied all charges.

:o

In the meantime, teacher Yanisa Tojuan, wife of Manote Tojuan, 36, a victim who remains in Kluay Nam Thai Hospital's intensive care unit, said her husband's injuries would take six months to heal.

Urging Savinee to directly express sincerity to assist and compensate the family rather than talking to the media, she said she would proceed with legal action on behalf of Manote.

:D

Asking for sympathy from all sides because his son was hurt mentally and physically, Kananek said his remarks on Friday had stemmed from his fury on overhearing people saying his son was faking a seizure.

:D

Edited by sriracha john

At what point does the majority of any society that is being subjigated decide that they have had enough?

When a cop is shot and killed by a rich hi-so's son, people felt bad. But they thought (rightly or wrongly, 'well, it was a cop and they are all corrupt anyway - so we don't know the full story'). But when something like this happens, when a rich kid runs down people who pissed him off ever so lightly, and you get this absolutely gut wrenching and revolting reaction from the idiot rich father, then what?

NOTHING? Is that it?

If that's the case, then there is absolutely no hope for the majority of people in this country. Add to this that the Thai language papers drop the story within a day of it happening and you have confirmation of this lament.

In other countries this would have led to real rebellion. Not here - oh, how these guys have brainwashed the masses. You've got to hand it to them in a very perverted sense..They're clever. (But as most of us know, not really, just in their own little Animal Farm enclosure).

Edited by thaigene2

At what point does the majority of any society that is being subjigated decide that they have had enough?

When a cop is shot and killed by a rich hi-so's son, people felt bad. But they thought (rightly or wrongly, 'well, it was a cop and they are all corrupt anyway - so we don't know the full story'). But when something like this happens, when a rich kid runs down people who pissed him off ever so lightly, and you get this absolutely gut wrenching and revolting reaction from the idiot rich father, then what?

NOTHING? Is that it?

If that's the case, then there is absolutely no hope for the majority of people in this country. Add to this that the Thai language papers drop the story within a day of it happening and you have confirmation of this lament.

In other countries this would have led to real rebellion. Not here - oh, how these guys have brainwashed the masses. You've got to hand it to them in a very perverted sense..They're clever. (But as most of us know, not really, just in their own little Animal Farm enclosure).

Great post.

However don't underestimate the power of fear. Open your mouth once here and if you're lucky you'll get a warning. Open it twice and you'll get shot. And that'll be that. There are examples of this every week in the paper.

For a comparison, Stalin executed and starved to death about 20 million of his own citizens and any voice of opposition was rare indeed.

"For a comparison, Stalin executed and starved to death about 20 million of his own citizens and any voice of opposition was rare indeed."

Exactly - leading to the famous exchange between Kruschev and a member of the audience at a Congress after Stalins death

Krushschev slagging of Stalin

Audience Member "Why did you not say anything"

Kruschev "Who said that

Silence

Kruschev "Thats where I was too"

Or something along those lines

This facet of Thai life is the one I really abhor - how the hi-so and powerful think they are above everyone else and untouchable.

Yes we have seen OJ walk and Paris cry back in the west but can you imagine if anyone rich and powerful there started talking in the presss about ill educated lower classes, threatening with violence or saying compensation would be OK if not too much?

At least a free press and public outcry would see some justice was done.

Rich kids probably get away with murder in many places ie Cambodia and the Coconut Gang etc - is Thailand on a par with these countries?

the Nation 10/7/2007, A quote by General Jate Mongkholhatthee as to prosecuting this case ' awaiting experts opinions about the drivers reported illness." If this is the case then the police have the say on prosecuting as I understand it. This would, I hope, bring up questions about the role of the the Thai judicial system in determining if a law has been broken and if further action should be taken. Is it the police who determine which cases will go to court? My observation of the police on the street is they are many times law brakers themselves. Thus I would hate to think this was the same group who decided to press charges for judicial prosecution of people. Maybe the Lawyers are being asked for advice during this process, or would you lose face to ask a question or say I dont know. Maybe the deputy police chief is speaking for the prosecuting branch of the system.

NOTHING? Is that it?

I guess you don't read the Thai message boards then? According to my husband, who does so quite regularly, the general opinion posted on these boards is disgust and outrage. But also the feeling that it doesn't matter what people think because, being rich and hi-so, he'll get away with it, just like all the other ones.

Any information on what model of Mercedes that was involved?

I'd be interested in knowing just what the gross weight of this deadly missle was...

I've tried to look for the info in various Thai websites, but it has not been mentioned anywhere. :D

I've only found a pic posted on a well-known Thai webboard.

post-7865-1183896945_thumb.jpg

Thank you....

any Mercedes experts out there that can identify this model?

from the news reports the plate number on it is "6699" :o

it's an E-class. Look at the rear lights...

post-38123-1184047283_thumb.jpg

So this freak who claimed to be crazy is also a Law student as I heard.

Now, I think we all know what they are cooking up now.... "Oh... I just killed someone and people are trying to get me out of the car and may beat me. mmm... I have a good idea! Act like I'm insane!"

NOTHING? Is that it?

I guess you don't read the Thai message boards then? According to my husband, who does so quite regularly, the general opinion posted on these boards is disgust and outrage. But also the feeling that it doesn't matter what people think because, being rich and hi-so, he'll get away with it, just like all the other ones.

Actually SBK, I know what you're saying but I think your point has actually SUPPORTED what thaigene is saying. This is because message boards, which have become the main forum of mass protest, are ANONYMOUS. Nobody is prepared to put their head above the parapet because the repercussions of protesting police action (or inaction) can be fatal.

In this case, the family is most likely not well-connected enough to have that kind of violent effect. I must add that I was here for the fiasco with Chalerm's son and the general opinion was outrage as well. And he was connected enough to have an effect.

I think, however, that most people don't get too worked up about these things because they know it won't make a darn bit of difference, not because of fear. Also, must add that the mother was on the front page of a Thai language daily today. So, I guess the story hasn't been quite dropped yet.

The pot is not boiling. Discussion boards represent the most vocal and politically active segment of society, and yes, mostly because they are anonymous, but it's a storm in a teacup comparing to the rest of the country.

People sing different songs when faced with real life personalities, and I doubt any vicitms in this particular accident get their encouragement from the Internet.

I bet many are ready to accept a compensation deal in exchange for dropping legal charges. Compensation to the murder victim will be a fraction of the value of the murder weapon.

The pot is not boiling. Discussion boards represent the most vocal and politically active segment of society, and yes, mostly because they are anonymous, but it's a storm in a teacup comparing to the rest of the country.

People sing different songs when faced with real life personalities, and I doubt any vicitms in this particular accident get their encouragement from the Internet.

I bet many are ready to accept a compensation deal in exchange for dropping legal charges. Compensation to the murder victim will be a fraction of the value of the murder weapon.

Yes, life is cheap and that will back up the Fathers earlier statement about uneducated people.

I think the whole thing stinks, and the fact that the BIB's in the end will decide if he should be prosecuted and not independent medical experts based on the assumption that he is mentally ill makes it even more laughable. We already know that there are high ranking BIB's in the family so it's a pretty much done deal.

My general feeling is that the accused is a spoilt little shit who is hiding behind a myriad of excuses and is not mentally ill. I'd love to have the opportunity to do a proper assesment on him. The fact that his parents, are making such a fuss, so that they look like they are taking responsibilty is even more ludicrous. Making merit now, is pretty pointless after what he has done.

They should, shut up and make sure that he accepts the consequences of his actions otherwise he will never get any better. (Tounge firmly in cheek)

In the Toad household, there is a general feeling of disgust towards this family. Money may buy you a lot of things, but it doesn't by class, morals etc,etc...

Bus union may sue Benz driver for libel

Wed, July 11, 2007 : Last updated 0:10 am

The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority union yesterday threatened action for criminal defamation against a murder suspect who drove his car into a crowd, killing an employee.

It accused the man's father, too, for a statement in which he described bus employees as "uneducated and low-class". He had claimed a bus driver and conductor were involved in a brawl with his son before the fatal incident and that a No 513 bus had collided with his son's Mercedes-Benz car.

nationmultimedia.com

maybe that teacup just got a whole lot bigger ............................

It's nice how you want to foment a revolution in Thailand. Before you leave your comfy armchair and start your quest to liberate the downtrodden Thai people, you might want to consider practicing your skills elsewhere. Start with the USA and its political lobbying corruption or protest Scooter Libby's favoured treatment. Or maybe you might want to take a crack at France's ingrained corrupt bureaucracy, or maybe visit the UK and protest the selling of peerages. Try reading some of the briefs put out by the various bar associations and law societies throughout the western world complaining about the lack of access to legal assistance and remedies that the poor encounter.

At least in Thailand a victim can get compensation a lot quicker than having to wait years and years for litigation to wind its way through the courts, assuming of course that the victim in the west has the means to bring the suit.

And remember, if you become so disgusted with the Thai way of life, you do have the option of leaving and going to Utopia or returning to your perfect native land where there is no crime and no injustice.

Edited by geriatrickid

The teacup might indeed become big enough to be noticed. The family should play it quiet and safe. Media exposure and TV interviews won't do them any good, if there's continuing public outcry the judges might get the wrong idea that justice needs to be upheld.

Road-rage family face new charges

(BangkokPost.com) The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) is preparing to file defamation charges against Kanpitak Pachimsawas and his father, Kan-anek, for appearing on a television programme and verbally attacking a BMTA official.

Kan-anek, father of 20-year-old Kanpitak who, following a dispute with a bus driver in an apparent road rage last week, had appeared on television and spoke with several reporters saying that the conductor of bus number 513 lacked the proper education to serve as a credible witness in the incident.

The Post Publishing Public Co