I really do not like thai jasmine rice that much

parafareno

3 hours ago, JackGats said:

Why do they call it "Jasmin" anyway? I was expecting flavoured rice, much like basmati rice, but it's only plain boring white rice.

"Why do they call it "Jasmin" anyway?"

They don't, it's called Jasmine rice, a reference to its Jasmine-like colour, not it's aroma.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

why would you care? I believe in a free world where people can eat the rice of their choosing - or not... Any rice, any time... that's the world I want to live in... 

Any rice, any time.....anywhere. Fancy a Martini with that mate?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

The second year is still soft but not sticky.

Yes, Madam insists on old season hom-mali.

I now know how to identify the relevant stuff and get plus-points when I get home ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The restaurants serve the cheaper rice. There are many marvelous varieties in Thailand, you just have to know how to cook it right, too much water and it’s awful. Buy always last years récolte. 
Basmati has the same problems, buy the good stuff. It is totally different grain to Thai  rice .. We buy triple  A . AAA  first quality  Thai delicious.  There’s red rice, blue rice, black and brown, love the brown myself , and black with coconut milk and banana as dessert. I have a cook . 

• Like 1

Basmati is king or rice...you DO NOT NEED TO soak it...like one dude claimed....wtf?

jasmin rice vs basmati is like a wolkswagen beetle vs ferrari...it sucks big time....

i will start a petition to ban jasmin rice from thailand and import indian workers to erase this malady from thai fields....

i am sure i will get my petition supported by may russkies here...who cant afford basmati and have to eat cheap jasmin rice, or cpotatoe chips from 7/11 and you can see that the smile is gone from their faces forever

Edited by parafareno
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, geisha said:

The restaurants serve the cheaper rice. There are many marvelous varieties in Thailand, you just have to know how to cook it right, too much water and it’s awful. Buy always last years récolte. 
Basmati has the same problems, buy the good stuff. It is totally different grain to Thai  rice .. We buy triple  A . AAA  first quality  Thai delicious.  There’s red rice, blue rice, black and brown, love the brown myself , and black with coconut milk and banana as dessert. I have a cook . 

i tried red rice, it is little batter than jasmin but still 5/10

14 hours ago, parafareno said:

you cant even compare it to basmati....fluffy basmati....vs sticked up thai jasmine rice....why the thailand just dont replace basmati with jasmin rice...?

Place rice in a seive and wash liberally with running water until the water run into a jug is clear, cook in a rice cooker with more or less water depending on if you prefer it wetter/softer or drier/harder.......

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, marin said:

You had enough problems while  you were in the LOS. You are not even in Thailand. You fled because of something growing on your ass. What brought on this out of the blue rant? 

i am not a fool to stay in thailand now that is hot....and then the cheapos complain about electric bills...because now it is time to stat in western world...cause it is warm and nice....

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep i agree potatoes king of carbs, so much more filling than rice, but my Brown Jasmine is better quality than standard white rice 

>Kramer you know that the brown rice has more arsenic than white rice? google it

Edited by parafareno
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i am not a fool to stay in thailand now that is hot....

You dont live here, and really know little to nothing about Thailand base on your posts. Again it was quite the rant. Perhaps India next year with your love of basmati. 

34 minutes ago, marin said:

You dont live here, and really know little to nothing about Thailand base on your posts. Again it was quite the rant. Perhaps India next year with your love of basmati. 

yeah i dont and I dont know how you can take daily 35 degrees or more...you must sweat your asscrack off

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

You (or someone) is cooking your Jasmine incorrectly. I love both and can (and do) sub one for the other quite often, depending on what's available. 

ban all the rice cookers because they cant properly cook jasmin rice.....ban rice cookers and jasmin rice from thailand...i am creating my petition now, 100 vodka loving russkies already signed up

Edited by parafareno
  • Sad 1

I do not like Jasmine Rice and even less Basmati. The very worst is paraboiled rice. This is for the brands I have tried. But I have a Thai Wife who eats nothing like Jasmine Rice and restaurants serve anyway nothing else.

At home, I eat Japanese Rice which is FAR superiour in taste for me. There is an American Brand "Kokuho Rose Rice" which is medium grain that is absolutely phantastic, too. But this one (see picture) is not available in Thailand as far as I know, so I need to stick to imported real Japanese short grain, which is extremely tasty, but as well extremely expensive.

Kokuho Rose Rice.jpg

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

I do not like Jasmine Rice and even less Basmati. The very worst is paraboiled rice. This is for the brands I have tried. But I have a Thai Wife who eats nothing like Jasmine Rice and restaurants serve anyway nothing else.

At home, I eat Japanese Rice which is FAR superiour in taste for me. There is an American Brand "Kokuho Rose Rice" which is medium grain that is absolutely phantastic, too. But this one (see picture) is not available in Thailand as far as I know, so I need to stick to imported real Japanese short grain, which is extremely tasty, but as well extremely expensive.

Kokuho Rose Rice.jpg

does nuclear radiation come as extra?

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2023 at 4:54 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

"Why do they call it "Jasmin" anyway?"

They don't, it's called Jasmine rice, a reference to its Jasmine-like colour, not it's aroma.

Really? 

"ข้าวหอมมะลิ". "หอม" meaning "Good smell"