Thai government acts fast to evacuate nationals from Sudan

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo

by Mitch Connor

The government of Thailand is making arrangements to evacuate Thai citizens from Sudan as swiftly as possible, utilising nearby airports such as Cairo Airport in Egypt and the American Air Force Base in Djibouti. This decision follows increasing concerns over the security situation in Sudan, with fears growing for the safety of the estimated 300 Thai nationals residing in the country.

Deputy government spokeswoman Rachada Dhnadirek confirmed the decision, which was made during a meeting led by National Security Council secretary-general Supoj Malaniyom. With the security situation around Khartoum airport being uncertain, airports in neighbouring countries, including Djibouti, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia, are to be deployed to facilitate evacuation flights.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will work closely with relevant authorities to organise evacuation flights for Thai nationals. The Royal Thai Air Force will provide an aircraft to evacuate an initial group of 91 Thai-Muslims, including citizens from the deep South, directly from Sudan. The flight will take off once authorities have negotiated a secure flight path in and out of the conflict-ridden country.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/flights-for-sudanese-repatriation-to-depart-soon

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

10 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Prayut is doing better than Biden,  Prayut is getting all Thais out.  Joe left all non-embassy Americans (16000) and got his dips out.

16,000 compared to 300 is a  big difference. 

Thailand so far is just talking about it,  nobody has been evacuated yet.

Very difficult for any country as much of the fighting is all around the airport. 

"Which countries have evacuated nationals from Sudan?"

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/23/which-countries-have-evacuated-nationals-from-sudan

Edited by MrJ2U

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

16,000 compared to 300 is a  big difference. 

Thailand so far is just talking about it,  nobody has been evacuated yet.

Very difficult for any country as much of the fighting is all around the airport. 

"Which countries have evacuated nationals from Sudan?"

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/23/which-countries-have-evacuated-nationals-from-sudan

Remember that Biden is the same guy that promised to safely get all Americans and families that supported the military out of Afghanistan

Once you remove the embassy's staff you lose coordination.  As far as getting people out the military used to have big airplanes.  Any country that seriously wanted to evac can do so.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Prayut is doing better than Biden,  Prayut is getting all Thais out.  Joe left all non-embassy Americans (16000) and got his dips out.

Biden will probably order an evacuation from Bhutan instead of Sudan. 

• Haha 1

I really can't imagine why any Thai nationals would be in Sudan in the first place, the linked article even mentioned students.  What did they have to go to Sudan to study that could not be studied elsewhere,?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Remember that Biden is the same guy that promised to safely get all Americans and families that supported the military out of Afghanistan

Once you remove the embassy's staff you lose coordination.  As far as getting people out the military used to have big airplanes.  Any country that seriously wanted to evac can do so.  

You'll have to vote for that blonde bombshell  Trump next time.   

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I really can't imagine why any Thai nationals would be in Sudan in the first place, the linked article even mentioned students.  What did they have to go to Sudan to study that could not be studied elsewhere,?

Definitely an odd choice for higher learning.  

What a dump of a country. 

7 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Definitely an odd choice for higher learning.  

What a dump of a country. 

Khartoum University presumably must have a very liberal admissions policy, and I suppose there is still the "kudos" of an overseas education when they arrive back in the village .  Still seems strange to me,

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

What did they have to go to Sudan to study that could not be studied elsewhere,?

Redundant question of course. 

Why should they have specifically looked elsewhere?

Sudanese are good at languages... when I was in KSA, Sudanese were very good English/Arabic translators. 

I don't like to see Governments get blamed for the folly of their Nationals,

23 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Behind closed doors they really don't give a rat's backside about the stranded nationals. 

Though, they are obligated to put on the show as if they do. 

21 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Students? I don't think so.

You'll find that most of the American presence is associated with exploitation of resources and even a greater assortment of advisors and intel spooks.

24 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Redundant question of course. 

Why should they have specifically looked elsewhere?

Sudanese are good at languages... when I was in KSA, Sudanese were very good English/Arabic translators. 

I don't like to see Governments get blamed for the folly of their Nationals,

If you consider it a redundant question why not just ignore it. ?

Looking elsewhere might just have have helped them avoid their current predicament 

So are you saying that the Thai students went all the way to Sudan to learn English and Arabic in order to become translators,? theoretically possible, maybe, I suppose,

I was not blaming any government nor accusing anybody of "folly"   

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Students? I don't think so.

You'll find that most of the American presence is associated with exploitation of resources and even a greater assortment of advisors and intel spooks.

I found it hard to believe too but that's what it said in the OP's linked article, Muslim students from the south apparently in the case of Thais,   I have no idea why Americans are there but you're probably right about the Spooks and exploitation of resources

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 1:17 PM, kingstonkid said:

For Joe Biden read Rishi Sunak in the UK's case. British diplomats evacuated (presumably with the principal aim of not disrupting their training routines for the FCDO Thumb-Twiddling Competition too much), while 4,400 non-diplomatic Brits have basically been hung out to dry. Looks to me like a rerun of the Kabul fiasco.

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

If you consider it a redundant question why not just ignore it. ?

Better question... why did you write it....? I can't un-read it.

Why should they have been looking elsewhere possibly months or years ago..... ? I do not know what these Thais were doing in Sudan.... not a place I would want to be. Possibly some students, maybe some working there... Thais are being sent around the world these days to work. 

49 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Why should they have been looking elsewhere possibly months or years ago..... ? I do not know what these Thais were doing in Sudan.... not a place I would want to be. Possibly some students, maybe some working there... Thais are being sent around the world these days to work. 

Simple really , I asked the question in the hope that somebody, better informed than me , might have been able to provide me with the answer.

You state above that you would not wish to be there, and neither would I,  I am interested as to why anybody  would choose to study  there. For example maybe there are specific courses offered there that are not available elsewhere, or maybe Thailand has some sort of bi-lateral agreement with Sudan? I don't know, so I asked.

You are correct can't unread it

However the question was not directly addressed to you,  so why  attempt a scathing reply to it, if, as you confirm above,  you simply  don't know the answer ?   A dignified silence would have sufficed, It has for everybody else.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Nearly all of them are Muslims from the southern border provinces, studying Arabic or Islamic studies, to take the knowledge back and spread it in the Thai deep south.

I live in the south and the number of Islamic (private, dawah) schools and pondoks is barely countable. Nearly every large-ish village has one. Also, many children are actively studying Arabic for obvious reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1