Feeling safe in your own home

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

But do you feel safe in your own home ?

What about you guys who live in those secluded farmhouses ?

What about those of you who live in places like the Philippines?

Or North of Chiang Mai 

Yes, I live in a 'very' secure village with actual functioning security (very high fences with barbed wire on top). Our guards do a good job, patrol regularly and requires a home owners sticker to get into the village (or you can leave your ID and get a 'pass'.

"those in secluded farmhouses" have guns. And people know they have guns. And ain't afraid to use them.

- I grew up in a secluded house outside a small town in Texas. We had guns, too. There was a respect because of this. (doesn't mean bad things didn't happen sometimes, but...

- wouldn't want to live in a secluded house in Washington, New York, California, Australia, Canada or even England. No personal protection laws that I'm aware of.

There are probably more break-ins at those Pattaya Townhomes and Condos than upcountry, because the thief figures he's not going to get shot.

- I can't comment about the Philippines of North of Chiang Mai (except, they got guns in Thailand in the North)

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Thanks 1

I feel safe at home is Isaan, nice house, great view (no wall)

Neighbour has a dog, we stay away for months, nothing happened in 10 years.

No cash or gold at home, no expensive car, not showing off & good relations will the families.

Is safety a state of mind or a real worry?

Why spend upwards of  1/2 million thb on wall, cameras, barbed wire & more to protect belongings worth less? 

Better buy some beers and be good with the neighbours

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2023 at 10:04 AM, BangkokReady said:

I think in Thailand people aren't really worried about random crime.  It seems that most crime, in terms of people coming to someone's house, comes from someone they know.

Thailand is very safe, generally.  You can wander pretty much anywhere you want at any time of day and be safe.

The thing you have to be careful about is how you act, also anywhere and at any time of day.

Thais know how to protect themselves out in the districts, by having illigal guns, lock up everything before dark, and stay inside after dark. My motorbikes when stored at parents in law, was placed in the dining room while I was abroad. Not the pcx but the big bikes. 

At our farm there is always one person present 24/7, and if Im not there, my wife partents stay with her, and she is never alone out there by her self., During building the farm, my father in law lived at the location so nobody could come and steal anything from the construction site. Now we have 3 dogs guarding our farm, still they continue to tell me I should buy a gun. The reason I do not buy a gun, even Im trained from kid to handle weapons and also army trained with Clock 19, is because it is a weapon who can bu used against you in worst case. But out of boredom, I am now considering buying a gun and give my wife proper training. 

What I did invest in was strong handy  flashlights 3000 Lumen, which I see as the optimal weapin during night, pluss the dogs that one for sure will protect us if I give him the command to attack. 

If Im worried, not really, but If Im not there I would worry about my wife staying there alone. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Been in the same gated village just north of CM for 8+ years, 250 houses nothing stolen from anyone in that time. Been a few husband/wife street fights though.

Most Thais is afraid of dark and ghosts, so maybe a reason for why it is as quiet as it is ????

Generally feeling safe in our home in a village in Chiang Mai province, but there's been moments it was a bit less.

Last year a guy would often visit our home. He would go through the gate and sit on our front porch, wanting to sell something to my girlfriend. He was addicted to yaba and I didn't like him going this close to our family (we also have a 6 year old daughter). He sold snails and such to my girlfriend and used to proceeds to buy more yaba.

However, this guy died last year and now not really anything to worry about.

My girlfriend did mention she has a lady friend living a bit outside the village and this lady friend doesn't always feel safe, having her home a bit outside the village. I guess for single woman it can be more scary like this, doesn't matter if Thai or foreigner.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sunday 23rd was our five years anniversary in this house, one of eleven houses all built 2018/9. All still have the original owners, five occupied by retirees, one other couple with two children younger than our two.

There's three cats, two Chihuahua-size dogs, a talking parrot and old Brownie an aged golden Labrador. No through traffic, quiet, have never worried about additional security, a lock on the gate is enough. 

We'd lived nearby for seven years before building here, have never been aware of any household theft / burglary in that time. Long may it last.

Fifteen years ago we were robbed on our last day in Chalong / Phuket - everything packed and ready to go we went out with a friend, returned to find all the small electronics - cameras, laptop etc gone. Person was later caught (by a neighbour) but none of our items recovered.