A light bulb just exploded in my office. Why do bulbs explode here but not in the USA?

DudleySquat

Has an incandescent light bulb ever exploded when you turn on the light?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I turned on my floor lamp, and one of the two bulbs just exploded, sending glass 15 feet away.  The bulb didn't just burn out, it exploded with enough force to destroy the plastic lamp fixture and the light shield. 

Why does this happen in Asia? In all my years living in the USA, I have never seen the bulb explode.

My best guess is it was the light bulb or lamp that was the problem. I've lived in several different countries in Asia over 10 years and it might have happened once. In other words, very rarely.

Also, if you touched the lightbulb and left dirt or oil from your fingers this can eventually cause an explosion. Did the lamp have a loose connection, loose wires, or is the light bulb socket very old?

Obviously the whole damn thing blew up, which is terrifying and dangerous. Has this happened in this same house/condo you're living in before? 

I don't know if I'd go with another 60W incandescent light bulb. A new lamp with an led will probably solve you're problem. If you've got a wife/gf, kids, or pets in the house I'd obviously take extra extra steps to prevent them from getting harmed. 

39 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

yes

Only a thought. Could it be the exceptional hot weather,  along with heat from the filament has caused the inert gas inside to expand? Caused enough pressure to pop the glass? Or maybe just a weakness in the glass from manufacture.

I abhor LED lights.  

I like incandescent lighting. 

The light was off. I turned it on. BOOM and the glass was everywhere. Floor, shelves, my desk, and the kitchen counter 15 feet away. 

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Caused enough pressure to pop the glass?

It didn't pop.  It exploded. It took out part of the lamp with the explosion.  

The floor lamp is from Ikea and is only 2 months old.

Do you have photos of the exploded lamp? A proper investigation needs photos ???? 

And, as others have asked, what's the IKEA catalogue number of the unit? (a link to the online catalogue would be nice)

I have had incandescent lamps go bang on occasion, but very, very rarely.

31 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Made in China

I was surprised to find (from their website) that Philips still make and sell incandescent lamps.

They do list their production locations none of which is in China, of course that doesn't mean anything here.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Do you have photos of the exploded lamp? A proper investigation needs photos ???? 

And, as others have asked, what's the IKEA catalogue number of the unit? (a link to the online catalogue would be nice)

I have had incandescent lamps go bang on occasion, but very, very rarely.

My son, GF, and I spent 1 hour cleaning glass from everywhere.  I'm lucky I didn't get hit in the eye.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I was surprised to find (from their website) that Philips still make and sell incandescent lamps.

They do list their production locations none of which is in China, of course that doesn't mean anything here.

I'll take a photo in a minute or two.  I try not to buy things made in China, but it is difficult. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

I'll take a photo in a minute or two.  I try not to buy things made in China, but it is difficult. 

Nigh on impossible these days.

It's not all junk mind.

We buy a lot of laser-cut stainless fabrications from a company called Shanghai Huaming Intelligent Terminal Equipment Co. Superb quality despite the company having a large sign outside that reads <read the initial letters> :whistling:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Wow! Just wow.

And I thought there was some artistic licence involved!

You didn't believe me?  You should. I tell the truth. 

I'm lucky I don't have surgeons right now picking glass out of my eyes with a knife. 

Edited by DudleySquat
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DudleySquat said:

You didn't believe me?

No reason not to believe you, but like others, I thought the tale may have been a little "enhanced".

I take back all those thoughts immediately. Compensation will be paid in positive thoughts!