Current climate at Survanabhumi in regards to entering visa exempt multiple times.

Hey so I have entered thailand 4 times in the past 7 months, going away for 1 or 2 weeks each time I leave. Each time I returned (by air) just got visa exempt.  I turn 50 early next month and will get my retirement visa going then but this time I wanted to do a one day border bounce by air to Cambodia in the next few days.  I know I'll probably get a warning or even taken aside to discuss it but with me turning 50 and plans to get retirement visa soon will they be lenient?  Guess Im wondering if anyone has recent experiences to share.  Thankyou.

Edited by TheLaughingMan
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Four visa entries all via air? 

What's wrong with land border bounce as alternative to entry via air.

You could fly to Udon Thani or Vientiane and enter via land at Nong Khai. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Four visa entries all via air? 

What's wrong with land border bounce as alternative to entry via air.

You could fly to Udon Thani or Vientiane and enter visa land at Nong Khai. 

Yes thats an option but is it necessary to take that extra precaution?  You think Id be in trouble if I just flew in again same day?

I spent 8 months in Thailand last year on visa exempt + extensions no problem but when I came back 8-Mar (left 24-Dec) the IO flicked through my passport about 4 times and asked "how long you stay this time". I said "visa exempt is 45 days isn't it" Another couple of front to back page checks and she looked very unhappy as she stamped me in.

First time I was ever asked anything by IO so made me think it's maybe time for a retirement visa although I just got another 30 day extension easy enough ????

Edited by Pattaya57

4 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Yes thats an option but is it necessary to take that extra precaution?  You think Id be in trouble if I just flew in again same day?

Same day! Yes I think a problem.

Where are you planning to fly to. 

Where located in Thailand?

3 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Well was planning Cambodia and back same day to Bangkok but now seriously looking at Laos and walking over and flying from Udon Thani

If you wish to do it in one day, personally I would use land border Nong Khai. 

If located in Bangkok flight to UT return will work. 

However as the saying goes ...

Up to You..

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

What do some of you think is the minimum time needed from landing in Vientiane to getting back to Udon Thani airport?  That requires taxi from Vientiane airport to Thai border, getting through immigration, then taxi from border to Udon Thani airport.

You also need to add a bit of time for getting across the bridge which is done on a shuttle bus. Also, applying for the Laos visa-on-arrival is usually fast, but add a little time for that if you do not have an eVisa.

If you plan on using taxis to and from the border, allow about three hours. You can save money by using vans (certainly on the Thai side) but would need to add extra time. Perhaps, decide on taxi vs van on arrival in Nong Khai, based on how tight you are for time.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

Since nobody so far has said they got refused entry, I would be surprised if you had any problems.  Many years ago (10++), I went in and out once a month for almost two years, at least 19 times and they never said a thing except once. This was around the time when the immigration was first starting to get serious about visa runs overland as it was the normal way many people stayed and stayed and they wanted to change that. They changed 30 days to 15 days and made many announcements and you could read on thaivisa many reports of which border crossing was the most lenient that week and how/why people were being denied entry.  But basically no comments at all about returning by air.  This included a few trips to Singapore out on first flight back by 5pm.  It was almost clear that the policy was officially to let people in at the airport and one reason may be that it is relatively easy to deny entry at a border crossing where a person can walk back where they came from, which is a country that has a Thai Embassy that could 'fix' the person's problem or at least give them a tourist visa. At the airport that becomes a hassle.  And one last thing, you can offer a very honest reason which, in your case might be that you are waiting for the retirement money to be in the bank for 3 months...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

What do some of you think is the minimum time needed from landing in Vientiane to getting back to Udon Thani airport?  That requires taxi from Vientiane airport to Thai border, getting through immigration, then taxi from border to Udon Thani airport.

Why don't you spend a few days in Laos? No rush no hurries, enjoy a new place. Looks better to the IO. And always try to get a man immigration officer to stamp you in

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 12:58 PM, TheLaughingMan said:

Well was planning Cambodia and back same day to Bangkok but now seriously looking at Laos and walking over and flying from Udon Thani

Wise decision to go to Laos Thai Land BORDER crossing. Do NOT fly INTO THAILAND.. AVOID POIPET BORDER ENTRY... PERIOD 

OP: "Hey so I have entered thailand 4 times in the past 7 months, going away for 1 or 2 weeks each time I leave"

Why do you think you have to do anything different to what you've been doing?

4 times in 7 months means you're not using all available 30 day extensions and you were away for 1-2 weeks a time, so not obvious border bounces (plus no limit to visa exempt entry by air)

Unless you were given IO grief last arrival, I don't see what the issue is?

Edited by Pattaya57

On 4/27/2023 at 7:25 AM, TheLaughingMan said:

What's the rush ? spend some time in Laos nice place and much nicer people.