Isaan thinking of Falang

Stevey

13 hours ago, Stevey said:

Unfortunately I have yet to meet any one who could communicate in Thai impressively in the last 15 years of being here.

That is amazing. I have met many.

13 hours ago, Stevey said:

than the government issue ‘one brain cell‘

If you live in Issan and you can not at least speak Thai you are effectively a deaf mute. You will be constanly frustrated, socially isolated and looked down upon by many. A bit like the village idiot.

Nobody can change this apart from yourself. It is up to you.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

According to him, all Isaan folk are stupid and cannot hold a decent conversation. Maybe he fits in well after all.

1 hour ago, Goat said:

That is amazing. I have met many.

If you live in Issan and you can not at least speak Thai you are effectively a deaf mute. You will be constanly frustrated, socially isolated and looked down upon by many. A bit like the village idiot.

Nobody can change this apart from yourself. It is up to you.

Are these two having a laugh ? We’ve got the cleverest guy in the country covering a wide range of political points with some HiSo types and the other guy who reckons that the majority of Isaans population are highly educated and also clever AF. 

I will ask sometimes of people of small puppy’s “ is it vaccinated? Distemper is a horrible death “ in reply it’s  9/10 an answer of “HaHa Ha Ha Ha  300bahtHaHa. Mai Phen Lai  Let it die. 

I don’t reckon any of you lot live anywhere near Isaan. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

According to him, all Isaan folk are stupid and cannot hold a decent conversation. Maybe he fits in well after all.

It's very dependent on your own educational and intelligence. 

If you were a plumber in Merseyside, or a dustman in Bolton, Issan villagers might well seem interesting to you. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevey said:

Worse than that, many, possibly  most, don’t even live in Thailand.

Edited by ArnieP
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevey said:

Are these two having a laugh ? We’ve got the cleverest guy in the country covering a wide range of political points with some HiSo types and the other guy who reckons that the majority of Isaans population are highly educated and also clever AF. 

I will ask sometimes of people of small puppy’s “ is it vaccinated? Distemper is a horrible death “ in reply it’s  9/10 an answer of “HaHa Ha Ha Ha  300bahtHaHa. Mai Phen Lai  Let it die. 

Wanna bet.............?   ????

But, do you............?:whistling:

1 minute ago, ArnieP said:

Worse than that, many if not most don’t even live in Thailand.

Tell us how you know that............?

I am not interested in your bar stool chat chums, just actual evidence.......????

8 minutes ago, transam said:

What a load.........I have lived in Isaan for many years, in that time I have met many farangy's, I only know one who understands and speaks Thai, he has been married to a Thai for 30+ years, that's how he picked it up.

We converse in English in our Isaan house in............????

Indeed, there are many expats who cannot or will not learn the language.

Personally for me, I found it quite easy to pick up the language. I had no choice. where I lived there was almost zero English being spoken. When I me my wife she could not speak English eitrher so we communicated in Thai. I guess was a lot younger when I first arrived in Isaan than many other expats. Many expats find age a factor in learning a new language. I would say that, on a day to day basis in our village, I probably speak Thai more than I speak English.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Indeed, there are many expats who cannot or will not learn the language.

Personally for me, I found it quite easy to pick up the language. I had no choice. where I lived there was almost zero English being spoken. When I me my wife she could not speak English eitrher so we communicated in Thai. I guess was a lot younger when I first arrived in Isaan than many other expats. Many expats find age a factor in learning a new language. I would say that, on a day to day basis in our village, I probably speak Thai more than I speak English.

I failed French & English at school, so I had no chance here......????

I have a Thai friend, he speaks or understands English, French, German and I think Italian, he spent most of his life abroad working in hotels....????

14 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Timing of the responses 

15 minutes ago, 473geo said:
19 minutes ago, transam said:

Tell us how you know that............?

I am not interested in your bar stool chat chums, just actual evidence.......????

Timing of the responses 

Exactly!

2 hours ago, Stevey said:

Are these two having a laugh ? We’ve got the cleverest guy in the country covering a wide range of political points with some HiSo types

You really have no idea. Everyone can vote in the election. Lunch yesterday was not with HISO. 

It just illistrates to me that you are the reason that you cant have an interesting conversation with Thais. 

because you cant.

A flame/ personal attack from the usual suspect has been removed also a baiting generalization about grumpy old men.

Be warned more of the same and you will be going off on your hols, so quit it now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stereolab said:

My wife refused to let me get proficient in the Thai language when I first arrived 11 years ago, in case I met another woman. 

I do understand a bit, can reply a bit, but to be honest I do not want to listen to constant gossip, the years here taught me that.

But when I hear the word "Farang", I usually turn and stare in that direction, they think I understand what they are saying so look the other way......????

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, stereolab said:

My wife refused to let me get proficient in the Thai language when I first arrived 11 years ago, in case I met another woman. 

????  How did she stop you?

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The guys with the guns and tanks will win the election.

No further discussion necessary. 

Prayut and Prawit have split.

So which one?

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Interesting. How exactly does timing of responses show who lives where?

If I log in at 7am my time for a look for something to do as I start work I see the other Australians and New Zealanders adding their 2 cents while all you guys are fast asleep. Some of the english posters have their times too.  

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If I log in at 7am my time for a look for something to do as I start work I see the other Australians and New Zealanders adding their 2 cents while all you guys are fast asleep. Some of the english posters have their times too.  

I have a friend in UK who works nights. He often posts during his break. That's 2am. 8 am Thai time. How would someone know that?

There used to be a guy I knew, Norwegian, in Buriram who was insomniac. He'd often post at 1 or 2am Thai time. How would someone know that?

• Thumbs Up 1