Isaan thinking of Falang

Stevey

On 4/28/2023 at 6:10 PM, Stevey said:

Just quoted you in a really long post about my fishing exploits and press submit. I need to submit. That’s the second long post today ! This website is total rubbish. I wish they would spend more time making it work than putting up 15 Ads in your face. 

to cut a long story short at the end of my super long post, I say

I’ve never actually caught a fish here, after two years of trying with all the gear, and I’ve never heard anybody answer me in the affirmative when I ask them if they’ve ever caught a fish. 

Although I’m brilliant with a bait caster now as I’ve had so much practice lure fishing, but never actually managed to hook one, but I’ve had them go after my เฮียบอม ‘Year-a Bomb’ lure. 

This is why people go out with harpoon guns and shoot Giant Snake Heads ปลาชะโด Bah-Cha-Doh in the shallows. Probably secret spots told to family members though the generations. Can a moderate see my previous reply to this post I’ve quoted? 

Fishing here is good if you have a private lake access. Otherwise it's pay and fish, because the locals are allowed to freely net anything and everything and keep it all.No conservation means no fish for the future. One reason I'm moving back asap. No hunting and only good fishing in private lakes or in huge reservoirs you need a guide in, or time spent on. You can catch snakeheads and tilapia in small roadside ponds that flood during rainy season, and there sometimes are decent snakeheads in them. As far as conversing about kids, a lot assume you are the father unless you tell them otherwise. As far as trying to get them to understand you when you say a word that sounds very close to the actual pronunciation, forget it. This has happened all the time I've been here. If you say a word,and they don't understand it, but someone else repeats the word to him, and it sounds exactly like you just said it,  it still won't get through. Part of this has to do with the lack of good education in Thailand. They have a lot of tones to their language, and if you don't get it just right, they won't understand what you're saying. Doesn't happen in other countries as I've heard. Some touch kids in their crotch and it's improper, but many don't think so. Finally, not all of us on the forums are in their 70's, sitting in an aircon waiting to die. I'm 66, fit as a 40 year old, besides joint pain, and have joint custody of a 6 year old girl that will accompany me back to the states as soon as I can get it all worked out. I don't like living here, besides some nice things, but I've fit in, trying to keep the peace and be helpful, because, this IS their country.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Fishing here is good if you have a private lake access. Otherwise it's pay and fish, because the locals are allowed to freely net anything and everything and keep it all.No conservation means no fish for the future. One reason I'm moving back asap. No hunting and only good fishing in private lakes or in huge reservoirs you need a guide in, or time spent on. You can catch snakeheads and tilapia in small roadside ponds that flood during rainy season, and there sometimes are decent snakeheads in them. As far as conversing about kids, a lot assume you are the father unless you tell them otherwise. As far as trying to get them to understand you when you say a word that sounds very close to the actual pronunciation, forget it. This has happened all the time I've been here. If you say a word,and they don't understand it, but someone else repeats the word to him, and it sounds exactly like you just said it,  it still won't get through. Part of this has to do with the lack of good education in Thailand. They have a lot of tones to their language, and if you don't get it just right, they won't understand what you're saying. Doesn't happen in other countries as I've heard. Some touch kids in their crotch and it's improper, but many don't think so. Finally, not all of us on the forums are in their 70's, sitting in an aircon waiting to die. I'm 66, fit as a 40 year old, besides joint pain, and have joint custody of a 6 year old girl that will accompany me back to the states as soon as I can get it all worked out. I don't like living here, besides some nice things, but I've fit in, trying to keep the peace and be helpful, because, this IS their country.

Great post. 

On the fishing. I have tried to catch snake head and giant snake head for two years. Even got a bait caster reel which I have learned to use pretty well the hard way. When I first got it I wanted to smash it with a hammer Because I didn’t understand the settings and the technique, now I’m an absolute wizard with it, but I’ve never caught a fish. I even bought a small plastic boat so if you go anywhere on different reservoirs. That came in more useful for getting reacquainted with my lures when I got them, caught in a tree or a patch of weed. I can go back the next day and retrieve them. Unless in the case of the last time, when some Thai people saw me lose it and the next day, I went back with the boat and someone had waded in got it themselves. That was in a canal basin network, where people were using those nets that you lift up in the air and pull out all the small fish. When I got there, I could hear the fisher people talking about how I’d come back to get the lure but someone had already taken it, lovely bunch. 

towards the end of my fishing exploits, I have had near hits from snakeheads and giant snake heads and it is really exciting, but they are very difficult to catch. And on many occasions when I talk with local men at certain fishing spots, they will outright say you cannot catch them. You have to harpoon them with those arrows on the rope. Although I watched a guy shooting from a bridge recently and he showed me they come up for air and that’s when you hit them. Also people use a frog on a bamboo pole. Or hanging from line on bendy sticks I’ve seen it all to avoid actual fishing.

On the language. I find that some Thais or mainly Isaans just have no ability to understand the language unless it’s being spoke by a Thai. While  a person standing next to them understands. I’ve experienced this many times. And you must literally become Thai and mimic a local to trick them into understanding. 

Good luck with your girl. I’m currently sitting on the DMK to BKK bus back to Blighty. I’ve done 2 years and 3 months here now it’s time to get some money made as I’ve made a massive dent in my life savings so far. Dangs got his iPhone. I’ve got some good IP cameras around so I can just say hello when he walks past. I’ve tried to mould him as best I can but he surprises me daily of late with the English he comes out with. Like yesterday telling an English guy I met “ See you again ! “ He’ll just start singing English language songs he’s picked up off YouTube. 

He is proof I feel of the difference in a boy who in his case has been shown love in buckets versus his brother 15 who was abandoned by his Bargirl mom and grew up with her sister. And is now feral and I could not imagine a situation where she and he hugged. I do feel sorry for him but cannot forgive his bad habits and him also being light fingered. I’ve had to chain my motorcycles together with a big chain as a deterrent and hide away all stealables that he but mainly his friends would enjoy pilfering. 

Well at least since the rains have come BKK is cool and dry tonight. And back in PhonPhiSai I hope Mother Nature will water all my trees. 

I can totally see why you have gone off the people. I’m not there totally yet. 

Right arrived at Swampy !! 

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Stevey said:

I’ve done 2 years and 3 months here now it’s time to get some money made as I’ve made a massive dent in my life savings so far.

Wise move and one I did myself many years ago, albeit at a much younger age than yourself (I was 28).

Friends who stayed in S.E.A. when their funds ran out ended up in low-paid jobs and now have no money to their name despite working for 25-odd years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2023 at 7:30 PM, jts-khorat said:

ˆˆThis. This is absolutely normal behaviour in Isaan.

Attacking a local man for it could very easily lead to a visit in the police station, or more likely a lot worse repercussions. You were lucky to get a 'get out of jail free' card here without even noticing.

The questions your little kids get asked by complete strangers that bother you so much (where he goes to school, etc) are the usual questions all kids are asked. It is a nice way to break the ice between adults and kids. That you see this as aggressive act shows how little of your surrounding you perceive correctly, however much Thai you assume you speak.

I have given you advise before, this time it is: take a serious chill pill when interacting with locals and see everything first and foremost as friendly, because it usually is. Isaan people might sometimes come over a little bit clumsy in their social interactions, but true malice is encountered really not often at all.

“ˆˆThis. This is absolutely normal behaviour in Isaan.

Attacking a local man for it could very easily lead to a visit in the police station, or more likely a lot worse repercussions. You were lucky to get a 'get out of jail free' card here without even noticing” 

So you would advise any Falang who is with their child who is then interfered with in the most private of body parts who then cry’s and is scared , to do nothing and laugh it off ? Okay… what about with the Wife can any Isaan farm labourer touch your wife and you just say nothing? Do you just let people ride roughshod over you unless behind your keyboard ? 

And being asked where his Dad is while in a shop when I’m the only father he has a concept of is asked with pure Malice.

Edited by Stevey
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, Stevey said:

Okay… what about with the Wife can any Isaan farm labourer touch your wife and you just say nothing? Do you just let people ride roughshod over you unless behind your keyboard ?

My advice was really clear and I see no connection at all to what you wrote as "answer".

I am certainly not wondering much any more why you get your whole life situation muddled up, if you cannot even grasp simple statements in your own native language, let alone Thai or Isaan.

21 hours ago, Stevey said:

So you would advise any Falang who is with their child who is then interfered with in the most private of body parts who then cry’s and is scared , to do nothing and laugh it off ?

I would advise not allowing your child to be in a position to be touched by a stranger.

As for my woman, she carries a knife and is quick to use it.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would advise not allowing your child to be in a position to be touched by a stranger.

As for my woman, she carries a knife and is quick to use it.

The first time the child was touched. was the time I described in the shop where the guy went straight in and did it and I responded in kind. And the second time it in a massage shop where there was a guy and his wife just sitting around, and for some reason the guy instigated some kind of touching with little Dang where he went for a quick pinch. And as I’ve said before Dang has been doing this to me I’ve late and I just decided in that split 2nd to let it go. As I am aware, it is cultural that is carried out, and I just thought you know what this is my favourite massage shop and I’m not gonna make a problem right now considering Dang has been trying to grab my dick for the last week unsuccessfully. 

Actually I did have a problem in that shop as we left as I described before, but I’ll mention it again where that man and a friend of his who later came into the shop, decided to start talking about Dang’s hair being too long. And then, when I challenged them about the fact that there is nothing wrong with his hair being longer than the US Marine haircut that some children get. This idiot, who had a feeling he might be cleverer than me decided to say yeah, but what about hair lice. Oh so are all the girls going to have the same cut as well because they’re all in the same classroom, I assume they’ve all got hair lice, then as their hair is long? He had absolutely no answer for this, in fact he had his mouth open with no answer. 

The fact of the matter is, I’ve come to realise that Thailand is a country that loves repetition of everything. It repeats the same festivals and the same culture constantly. That’s not a problem to me. The hair style of young boys is another tradition. 

On the hair cut thing I’m gonna post a couple of pics of the hair. I know this is a police state and everything but if I hadn’t of insisted in his hair being grown out we would never have the photos of his hair being not of a marine. Who are the local government and the wishes of some local idiots to deprive us of this. To actual have the gaul to instruct parent that a boys hair has to be removed while a girls can grow is ridiculous.  

As soon as I left the girlfriend has it all his cut off to please the people who can’t stop poking their nose in saying when’s he getting his hair cut. She will go along with anything that is the norm and will not rock the boat. Although she is one of the very few that never entertained the vaccine so she has that in her favour, unfortunately not out of reasoned internal discussion or the fact that all the old people in the village a year after the outbreak from one country away were still alive unvaxed, but more out of … she didn’t fancy it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a645d88c39ac47ad17a8dbe639698365.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.19c864ed5be398d284f67ba83db7eb0d.jpeg

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would advise not allowing your child to be in a position to be touched by a stranger..

Unfortunately these ‘ normal ‘ Thai guys who @jts-khorat appears to support have this on their mind and are waiting for the opportunity to strike. Any man who thinks that interfering with a minor is normal needs to be dealt with, imagine trying that in the UK?

17 hours ago, Stevey said:

The first time the child was touched. was the time I described in the shop where the guy went straight in and did it and I responded in kind. And the second time it in a massage shop where there was a guy and his wife just sitting around, and for some reason the guy instigated some kind of touching with little Dang where he went for a quick pinch. And as I’ve said before Dang has been doing this to me I’ve late and I just decided in that split 2nd to let it go. As I am aware, it is cultural that is carried out, and I just thought you know what this is my favourite massage shop and I’m not gonna make a problem right now considering Dang has been trying to grab my dick for the last week unsuccessfully. 

Actually I did have a problem in that shop as we left as I described before, but I’ll mention it again where that man and a friend of his who later came into the shop, decided to start talking about Dang’s hair being too long. And then, when I challenged them about the fact that there is nothing wrong with his hair being longer than the US Marine haircut that some children get. This idiot, who had a feeling he might be cleverer than me decided to say yeah, but what about hair lice. Oh so are all the girls going to have the same cut as well because they’re all in the same classroom, I assume they’ve all got hair lice, then as their hair is long? He had absolutely no answer for this, in fact he had his mouth open with no answer. 

The fact of the matter is, I’ve come to realise that Thailand is a country that loves repetition of everything. It repeats the same festivals and the same culture constantly. That’s not a problem to me. The hair style of young boys is another tradition. 

On the hair cut thing I’m gonna post a couple of pics of the hair. I know this is a police state and everything but if I hadn’t of insisted in his hair being grown out we would never have the photos of his hair being not of a marine. Who are the local government and the wishes of some local idiots to deprive us of this. To actual have the gaul to instruct parent that a boys hair has to be removed while a girls can grow is ridiculous.  

As soon as I left the girlfriend has it all his cut off to please the people who can’t stop poking their nose in saying when’s he getting his hair cut. She will go along with anything that is the norm and will not rock the boat. Although she is one of the very few that never entertained the vaccine so she has that in her favour, unfortunately not out of reasoned internal discussion or the fact that all the old people in the village a year after the outbreak from one country away were still alive unvaxed, but more out of … she didn’t fancy it. 

How strange. Someone who claims to have been in and out of Thailand and Isaan for so many years, knows so little about the culture, way of life and rules.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stevey said:

Cute kid.

I assume that is the kitchen?

Might be time to clean the rice cooker, water boiler, walls and fridge.

Looks like they are never cleaned? 

Food poisoning is rife in unclean kitchens.

18 hours ago, Stevey said:

Perhaps you should spend a bit less time on here and a bit more time cleaning your place up, think of the kids, chap....:unsure:

2 hours ago, Goat said:

Cute kid.

I assume that is the kitchen?

Might be time to clean the rice cooker, water boiler, walls and fridge.

Looks like they are never cleaned? 

Food poisoning is rife in unclean kitchens.

Thanks for the kind words and I can elaborate on the other issues you so kindly pointed out about the poor living conditions. 

Well missus is a pig so there’s only so much a guy can clean. Purchased a new double insulated and earthed Philips rice cooker and ditched the Singer branded rice cooker as I feared looking as  it was about 30 years old or more and was metal it was ripe to develop an earth fault and shock someone as the cord had no earth. The Girlfriend suggested giving it back to her sister “ great idea she can die for all I care “ I replied. 

The fridge is an LG model, getting on a bit. Colin gave that to my girlfriend before I ever got to the village it’s been a good workhorse but both the compartment freezer and fridge seals are knackered and they are 1000 Baht altogether on Lazada. I have hankered after a big fridge for all the time I’ve been here but because me and Girlfriend I’ve never seen eye to eye in the whole time I’ve been here for long enough to be friendly then choose one then order it and have it delivered in a time period where I didn’t tell her to รบck off so I’ve always ditch the idea.  I decided to do it in the last month or so before I left for the UK where I am now. To help the relationship and she was very happy even though she was in the usual bad mood when it arrived which was inevitable really. Another reason I had not gone for a new fridge was the last one was filled with old food that she Would not clean out. Opposite to her older/younger ? Sister who will have a spotless fridge with no old produce hanging around. 

Two weeks after we got it it was full of half eaten meals and items but as it was a bigger and well lit  it was easier to pick them out and for ‘me’ to throw them out, can’t win. 

on the subject of cleanliness, it’s got to the point where I just keep my own bit clean it up will struggle, the plan is that I’m hoping she will just eventually change. If I put procedures in place, like for instance, I bought a big plastic trashcan and some black bags for rubbish. Before that she would just put rubbish in bags we got from the local convenience store and they were hung all around in various places inside and outside the house, sometimes for weeks at a time. That appears to have stopped. 

I even tiled her concrete floor. That was a hell of a lot of work ???? 

IMG_4533.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Perhaps you should spend a bit less time on here and a bit more time cleaning your place up, think of the kids, chap....:unsure:

Oh, I can show you worse than that mate…. A lot worser. 

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

How strange. Someone who claims to have been in and out of Thailand and Isaan for so many years, knows so little about the culture, way of life and rules.

Ohhhkaaaaayyyyyy….? I watch your qualification to be a Thai old hand. 

Edited by Stevey

23 hours ago, Stevey said:

Well missus is a pig

Where/how did you guys meet?

You live there as well. 

Why dont you employ a cleaning lady a couple of times a week if you are both too lazy to do basic housework or cleaning.

No wonder you complain a lot living in those squalid conditions. It would be depressing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Goat said:

Where/how did you guys meet?

You live there as well. 

Why dont you employ a cleaning lady a couple of times a week if you are both too lazy to do basic housework or cleaning.

No wonder you complain a lot living in those squalid conditions. It would be depressing.

How very 4ucking dare you !! 

I met my good lady in a bar in HuaHin.  I was about 35 and she was the cousin of the bar owner. I had never had any thoughts ever of getting with a bargirl and I would not advice anyone else to either now that I have mixed with so many Isaan Harridans since I hit the village 4 plus years ago. It was years before I decided to actually get together and finance her prior to that it was daily contact and me sending amounts of money to satisfy requests to solve various fictitious issues, I knew were lies, Hoes gotta Hoe. She will have had many more financing her so I never got too serious. The cost of financing her is a fraction of what other people here will be outlaying. She gets ‘ just ‘ more that she could earn in a job off me and she decided she wants to work at a local factory. The beauty of that is she understands how hard is it to get that money and when she gets that max 7000baht she understands the value of money and that her 7k goes nowhere, with me there the electricity bill is 2900baht. Also I have given her the chance to actually be with her second son Dang which she didn’t have for her first Son 14 who was Dumped with her sister while she disappeared off to work wherever years ago. Dang is a very tactile hug boy and loves love. The chances of her and her older son ever being involved in some form of mother Son hug is about the same odds as her winning big on the Thai Lottery.

After me and her split some years ago after after a disagreement. She met Dang’s biological Thai father who split after the birth not wanting to sacrifice his pay packet to finance a child, I must thank him one day. I turned up four years ago when Dang was 1 year and have been around ever since. After spending two whole years together on this trip we have learned a lot about each other, mainly she’s an idiot a fact she had kept hidden previously except the time years previous when she tried to turn on an AC unit with a TV remote. Luckily money and the promise of more every month is the glue that keeps it altogether. For that I get a place to store my stuff and Kawasaki, the 7 dogs are fed and most importantly the little Dangs there. 

No cleaning unless she feels like it. 

• Sad 1

On 5/17/2023 at 4:45 AM, Stevey said:

I met my good lady in a bar in HuaHin.  I was about 35

Why would anyone that age choose to be with a bargirl he descibes as an idiot and a pig?

• 10 months later...
On 4/28/2023 at 1:27 PM, CM Dad said:

Stevey, is there a point to your rambling post?

🚨🚨Dad Alert 🚨 🚨 Dad Alert 🚨 Alert 🚨 

we got a Chiang Mai Dad here !!