Solar System

I'd like to set up a small solar power system. Perhaps whole house, but more likely just a few items in case of extended blackouts. It depends on price.

The minimum system is to maintain the house fridge, and the fridge and chest freezer in an adjacent building, and perhaps a fan or two. Anything more is cream on top but not required. If, however, the extra cost is not a lot more I'd certainly consider it. If PEA buys back power, a larger system would be of even more interest. My power bill is between 2300 and 2900 baht/month. 

Bungalow: 45 square meters, 1 bedroom, 1 bath.

18,000 BTU A/C in living area. Rarely used.

9000 BTU A/C in bedroom cools whole bungalow, except on hottest days, by using fan to blow air into rest of the house.

Small fridge/freezer, convection oven/micro, 2-burner electric cooktop

2 tankless water heaters

Adjacent building: 8 square meters. Used as food storage and laundry.

14 CF chest freezer

small fridge/freezer

9000 BTU A/C (would be nice to keep this running)

Front load washer/front load dryer

All appliances are Inverter, if that is relevant.

Roof faces ESE, has 90% of afternoon sun.

I have looked at the "systems" at Global & Thai Watsadu. But, of course, they know less than I do.

Thanks!

• Like 1

i dont know the specs but my neighbour just did like a month ago

his bill was around 2000-2300 baht every month. Just to make the bill like around 100 baht he spent 150.000 baht system to the solar cell system. this month he said his bill was 0 baht

so from the same bill, i would say you will spent around 150K

he is expecting payment from PEA in coming months but i do remember he told me soemthing like PEA only pays for certain power level you produce. i mean it must pass a number

Edited by problemfarang
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

i dont know the specs but my neighbour just did like a month ago

his bill was around 2000-2300 baht every month. Just to make the bill like around 100 baht he spent 150.000 baht system to the solar cell system. this month he said his bill was 0 baht

so from the same bill, i would say you will spent around 150K

Hmmm, not sure I have that many more months of life left to break even ???? 

I have a 68 year-old friend in the States who just put in a system at $45,000. Not sure how he plans on realizing any savings, but then, he's loaded.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Forget the showers/Aircons and cookers, leave them on grid.

Wire everything else to a hybrid 5kW + batteries.

50kbht for the 10kWhr battery, 10x 340w panels 35kbht, 5k5 hybrid inverter 15kbht.

So total cost around 100kbht for 80% of your household electricity.

Okay, thanks, a) where do I see these and b) who installs it?

1 minute ago, Rocket Dawg said:

I have a 68 year-old friend in the States who just put in a system at $45,000. Not sure how he plans on realizing any savings, but then, he's loaded.

for 45K usd im pretty sure he can power up a small factory.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Links in my revised post, you can install it yourself, or pay someone another 100,000bht to do it for you.

Cool. Thanks. I have an "electrician," though he's been zapped so many times the hair on his head looks like an abandoned bird's nest ????

Get a 5kW on-grid solar system. It is cheap and good, and costs around 100,000 baht. If you can install it yourself, it will be even cheaper. If you need to hire an installer, the cost will be around 160,000-200,000 baht.

If you are looking for an installer with a good warranty and after-sales service, you can check out A Solar. They have a good reputation and have been doing a good job. Mine cost 180k for 5kw system on grid, comes with free washing every 6 months for 3 years (Depending on your package & Promotion)

Screenshot 2023-04-28 142057.png

Edited by damen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, damen said:

Get a 5kW on-grid solar system. It is cheap and good, and costs around 100,000 baht. If you can install it yourself, it will be even cheaper. If you need to hire an installer, the cost will be around 160,000-200,000 baht.

If you are looking for an installer with a good warranty and after-sales service, you can check out A Solar. They have a good reputation and have been doing a good job. Mine cost 180k for 5kw system on grid, comes with free washing every 6 months for 3 years (Depending on your package & Promotion)

Screenshot 2023-04-28 142057.png

But please do note if you buy Huawei, you are stuck using their batteries only, and they are NOT cheap

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rocket Dawg said:

Like my other assets, I'm hoping that the value of my solar system won't just evaporate upon my passing.

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

what about a system for just my pool? 

Need some more info for example. 

- how many W is your pool pump?

- how long do you run it every day?

- do you run it also at night?

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Would be cheap if you just run the pump in the day (assume 2k5 pump).

5k5W hybrid inverter as I suggested before 15kbht

6 panels @3k5bht = 21kbht

and a timer on the pool pump from 8am until 5pm.

Edited by BritManToo

22 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have a Hayward 1.5hp pool pump for filtration/circulation, and another Hayward 1.5hp pool pump for the waterfall (which we rarely use).

Each uses 1.1kW per hour of operation, so if you are filtering your pool for 8 hours per day (8am-midday, and 2pm to 6pm) then your daily power consumption will be 8.8kW.

• Like 2

If want to go for the cheap:

3 solar panels with 340 Watt peak each: 12000 Baht

1000 Watt solar inverter from Aliexpress...not approved for Thailand $100 all incl

For on grid usage

2000-3000 Baht for the local motorbike taxi mafia to mount them on your roof.

For off grid you buy additional something like a 3000 Watt off grid device...Don't know $200-300

Or dedicated battery charger + 3000 sinus wave inverter

2 or 4 car batteries for women (they promoted it a few years ago like that....now we may need to read as sure they are political correct now) Car Batteries that can be drained a few times to zero and don't die. 3500 Baht/pcs

If there is no electric you put the solar panels to the off grid device. 2-4 Batteries is enough for a big fridge or 2 small to come over the night. And the oversized good batteries can stand that if used only when there is a problem.

If have something like that,,,just much bigger