Lap top for school girl 14 year old

I have no clue about computer for school kids and what they need. I am only familar with Apple and Chromebook, so thats why I ask here. 

Can some with knownledge recomend a decent lap top to her, so I can order on Lazada and get it delivered to her directly. What kind of operative system is the most common in Thailand now ? 

Budget 10k +- 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

Without recommending any particular make or model, one thing to consider is the battery life. You need a laptop that lasts throughout the school day so no charging needed. Nothing worse than for a student to need to charge when in lessons. 

• Thanks 2

A chromebook would be best for her. Does she need a computer? Is she in secondary school?

Other than that, Thailand students would all be on windows. It's likely any laptop you buy will have windows 10 which will upgrade to windows 11. It should have at least 8Gb RAM and 256Gb disk storage, preferably 512Gb. A kid would accumulate a lot of data over time but you could use an external hard drive to store that, like photos and videos.

Maybe look at ASUS or Lenovo, or Samsung.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1

10k is a bit low for a laptop budget

a bit more and you could get an m1 macbook air, (the 2020 one), the m2 macbook air is even better, both will last a lot longer than a 10,000 baht windows computer and are going to be way better as well.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

10k is a bit low for a laptop budget

a bit more and you could get an m1 macbook air, (the 2020 one), the m2 macbook air is even better, both will last a lot longer than a 10,000 baht windows computer and are going to be way better as well.

That would be my first pick as well. Whatever the school produces should work on either windows or macos anyway.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That would be my first pick as well. Whatever the school produces should work on either windows or macos anyway.

My daughters school uses Google Docs, they don't even need Microsoft office for that and yes does not matter whether windows or Mac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The new macbook air is really revolutionary, with the m1 / m2 chips, they've essentially opened the door with those with a smaller budget to access extremely fast computation which is going to give a lot of opportunities to them as if they has $3000-$4000 laptops in the prior years.

Stuff like video editing, photo editing, software engineering, etc. can now all be done on these macbook airs which only could have been done prior on machines costing thousands of dollars. I think a used macbook air m1 would cost maybe 20,000 baht? (a brand new macbook air m2 is like 30-40k)

a 10,000 baht windows laptop wouldn't even be able to do 20% of the macbook and and its battery life would last 20% the time as well

29 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

or Samsung.

I have had bad experience with a Samsung laptop. I purchased the machine new in 2012. A few years later I was unable to boot into the UEFI, the F2 and F4 keys wouldn't work anymore. I knew it wasn't the keys because I used a separate keyboard to test. Apparently, there was a known fault with pre 2013 UEFI firmware. Some customers were completely bricked. Samsung replaced motherboards free of charge. Fortunately, I have been able to manage OK but they'd sold me a faulty product.

42 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

A chromebook would be best for her. Does she need a computer? Is she in secondary school?

Other than that, Thailand students would all be on windows. It's likely any laptop you buy will have windows 10 which will upgrade to windows 11. It should have at least 8Gb RAM and 256Gb disk storage, preferably 512Gb. A kid would accumulate a lot of data over time but you could use an external hard drive to store that, like photos and videos.

Maybe look at ASUS or Lenovo, or Samsung.

Please don’t make definitive statements, especially  when you have absolutely no knowledge of what would be best for her. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

OP... During Covid we purchased an ASUS Chromebook for my Son (who was 7 at the time).

It worked well for all his online learning needs but wasn’t the fastest machine - I didn’t expect a great deal for the 13,000 baht - it did the job we required of it. 

After doing some research I went out looking for specific models, but ultimately couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for so had to settle for what was available (Fortune Town in Bangkok).

Best option IMO - is to get some rough idea, then go to an IT mall and see what they have available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

OP... During Covid we purchased an ASUS Chromebook for my Son (who was 7 at the time).

It worked well for all his online learning needs but wasn’t the fastest machine - I didn’t expect a great deal for the 13,000 baht - it did the job we required of it. 

After doing some research I went out looking for specific models, but ultimately couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for so had to settle for what was available (Fortune Town in Bangkok).

Best option IMO - is to get some rough idea, then go to an IT mall and see what they have available.

I wouldn't advise buying COD.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I wouldn't advise buying COD.

Pick your budget, go to an IT mall, see what they have around that budget then do a little research on the ones that you can afford.

I'm sure some people have luck buying online, but it has bad news written all over it, IMO.

I'm sure it would be nice to buy a shiny Macbook whatever, but this is a 14 year old high school student.  If she needed a video editing, programming machine, I'm sure OP would have mentioned it.

• Thanks 2

I bought a fully functional Asus laptop with 500GB SSD and 4Gb of RAM (added another 4Gb from Lazada for less than 300b). Total cost just over 11,000b. It is definitely not just a basic laptop and much better than useless Chromebook.

• Thanks 2

As said, I know Macbooks and Chromebook, and the ladt thing I will buy is a budget chromebook.

Since Im not present right now, and would like to buy one decent lap top that will last for school purposes together with a google disk storage, Im open for specific solutions and be it if it extends suggested budget. 

Good experience buying on Lazada phones and other things.

I understand your budget is 10K. I had this same conundrum a few years ago with 12 and 14 year old. Buy something she can use for at least 5 years. This is what I did and I have no regrets. You might spend a bit more now, but she will be better off. Please don't buy online. Go to a shop. Look around. Don't let them install their junk W10 orW11 when the computer comes with it. I think we spent 15K each. 

BTW I am not a computer expert. This is my opinion based on having girls about the same age, and what they use the computers for. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I bought a fully functional Asus laptop with 500GB SSD and 4Gb of RAM (added another 4Gb from Lazada for less than 300b). Total cost just over 11,000b. It is definitely not just a basic laptop and much better than useless Chromebook.

Thank you

39 minutes ago, NextG said:

Please don’t make definitive statements, especially  when you have absolutely no knowledge of what would be best for her. 

Those would be minimum specs for anybody wanting to run windows. Anybody logically includes her.

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Those would be minimum specs for anybody wanting to run windows. Anybody logically includes her.

What would be “minimum specs”? The OP hasn’t made mention of any particular specifications, other than “school kid” and “10k+-”. Is there a hidden post that I missed?

Edited by NextG
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

What would be “minimum specs”? The OP hasn’t made mention of any particular specifications, other than “school kid” and “10k+-”. Is there a hidden post that I missed?

Yes, the post called minimum recommended requirements to run windows.

Edited by ozimoron

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Yes, the post called minimum recommended requirements to run windows.

Where is that in the OP?

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I have no clue about computer for school kids and what they need. I am only familar with Apple and Chromebook, so thats why I ask here. 

Can some with knownledge recomend a decent lap top to her, so I can order on Lazada and get it delivered to her directly. What kind of operative system is the most common in Thailand now ? 

Budget 10k +

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who advised buying Cash on Delivery ???

You advised buying from an IT mall. That's what I'd do too. Advice computers have a shop in my nearest larger town. I've noticed them opening additional shops too. That's where I'd go myself. I'm sorry the COD remark was referring to my minor misfortune with a COD delivery yesterday.

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Where is that in the OP?

He asked for recommendations for both a laptop and an operating system. He further asked which was the most commonly used? Which o/s do you think is most commonly used and what do you consider to be the minimum operating requirement for that system?

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

He asked for recommendations for both a laptop and an operating system. He further asked which was the most commonly used? Which o/s do you think is most commonly used and what do you consider to be the minimum operating requirement for that system?

Not minimum but decent, which leaves a bit more room for individual experience. No gaming computer but decent enough for studies until university level.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Not minimum but decent, which leaves a bit more room for individual experience. No gaming computer but decent enough for studies until university level.

In my home country, I would opt for an ex-business machine if longevity was a priority. Easier to maintain. Trying to swap out a faulty component in a ‘consumer’ machine often involves dismantling the whole thing. Even if not so involved, it is rarely straightforward. Business devices are designed for easy maintenance. 
Probably not helpful in this case, but the suggestion is to not expect longevity; that would be a bonus in an inexpensive consumer quality device. 

• Thanks 1