Lap top for school girl 14 year old

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

A chromebook would be best for her. Does she need a computer? Is she in secondary school?

Other than that, Thailand students would all be on windows. It's likely any laptop you buy will have windows 10 which will upgrade to windows 11. It should have at least 8Gb RAM and 256Gb disk storage, preferably 512Gb. A kid would accumulate a lot of data over time but you could use an external hard drive to store that, like photos and videos.

Maybe look at ASUS or Lenovo, or Samsung.

I guess the laptop should have dual language capability (Thai & Eng.) and both languages on the keybord. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Not minimum but decent, which leaves a bit more room for individual experience. No gaming computer but decent enough for studies until university level.

I would recommend the following:

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/product/hp-notebook-15s-fq2726tu-natural-silver-advice-mkp1463440

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/product/hp-notebook-15s-eq2203au-285115

I think 8GB RAM and 512GB disk capacity are the most important things to have.

The student will also need an MS Office pack, avoid office 365, just buy a full offline professional version 2021 or 2023 or whatever license key for 3 or 4 USD on Ebay or similar from a reputable seller.

4 minutes ago, tgw said:

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/product/hp-notebook-15s-fq2726tu-natural-silver-advice-mkp1463440

The student will also need an MS Office pack, avoid office 365, just buy a full offline professional version 2021 or 2023 or whatever license key for 3 or 4 USD on Ebay or similar from a reputable seller.

They are likely to use google docs anyway as someone said earlier. She could also use LibreOffice on any platform for free.

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They are likely to use google docs anyway as someone said earlier. She could also use LibreOffice on any platform for free.

at 3 or 4 dollars for a license, getting MS office is a no brainer for me, it guarantees compatibility with every office around the world, all drivers and other little helpers were made to be compatible with it, etc. professional version comes with some goodies too.

Edited by tgw

32 minutes ago, NextG said:

In my home country, I would opt for an ex-business machine if longevity was a priority. Easier to maintain. Trying to swap out a faulty component in a ‘consumer’ machine often involves dismantling the whole thing. Even if not so involved, it is rarely straightforward. Business devices are designed for easy maintenance. 
Probably not helpful in this case, but the suggestion is to not expect longevity; that would be a bonus in an inexpensive consumer quality device. 

Im trying to minimize the complexity her

This one is available close to us, and if decent enough to learn for the next 4 years it is done deal, as well easy to update with a few components?

14 minutes ago, tgw said:

at 3 or 4 dollars for a license, getting MS office is a no brainer for me, it guarantees compatibility with every office around the world, all drivers and other little helpers were made to be compatible with it, etc. professional version comes with some goodies too.

If they are google docs just use them in situ. Free.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

This one is available close to us, and if decent enough to learn for the next 4 years it is done deal, as well easy to update with a few components?

There is no link…

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

If they are google docs just use them in situ. Free.

Why don’t you stop with this? OP is not interested in a Chromebook nor being limited to Google Docs. Go with the flow..

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

Why don’t you stop with this? OP is not interested in a Chromebook nor being limited to Google Docs. Go with the flow..

Another poster said the docs at the school his kid wen to were google docs. They are in Australia too. I said IF that's the case it makes no sense to use them anywhere except in Google cloud, no matter what supercomputer you want to use.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I think the machines I linked should be ok for office work / surfing / mailing / watching videos for 4 years.

no, that kind of machine is not easily upgradable, at least not for anything that matters such as CPU or graphics.

512 GB should be plenty for school work, and I doubt putting in more than 8GB RAM will bring any noticeable benefit.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

My daughters school uses Google Docs, they don't even need Microsoft office for that and yes does not matter whether windows or Mac

3 hours ago, NextG said:

In my home country, I would opt for an ex-business machine if longevity was a priority. Easier to maintain. Trying to swap out a faulty component in a ‘consumer’ machine often involves dismantling the whole thing. Even if not so involved, it is rarely straightforward. Business devices are designed for easy maintenance. 
Probably not helpful in this case, but the suggestion is to not expect longevity; that would be a bonus in an inexpensive consumer quality device. 

Add extra ram should be easy, but I have only done it on Macbooks. Not sure about these cheaper laptops is the same.

2 hours ago, tgw said:

Thank you, looks like a good choice indeed.

Now, for a school girl at her age, ehat is the difference between notebook and laptop computer? 

If she would like to edit pictures and video? I guess that would be something they want to do also, I guess this is ok for smaller files without to much rendering? 

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Now, for a school girl at her age, ehat is the difference between notebook and laptop computer? 

If she would like to edit pictures and video? I guess that would be something they want to do also, I guess this is ok for smaller files without to much rendering? 

Which brings the point, has the OP had any decent discussions with the student to be sure what she wants?

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

the difference between notebook and laptop doesn't depend on the user's age, a notebook typically is a lightweight laptop that sacrifices on most things to gain more portability.

editing pictures will be easy if she doesn't use the full blown Adobe Creative Suite.
editing videos is always more CPU intensive, a cheap basic laptop is never the right tool for that. small video files should be ok. 8 GB RAM will come especially handy for that.

Edited by tgw
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Which brings the point, has the OP had any decent discussions with the student to be sure what she wants?

She do not know what she wants or need, neither do any teachers. The computer room in school, is old desk top models ready to be recycled.

The reason I want to sponsor my wife niese is, one of the family friends who just finished school now 17 years old, started to work on Makro, and she was asked if she knew how to use a computer, unfortunate not, and lost an opportunity, If she just had basic knownledge she would had better pay and easier work. 

Im also willing to sponsor her extra classes so she can learn even in school holidays. 

She is always on top of the list in the class, and seems to be one of the smarter ones, and always work hard, willing to learn and help my wife on the farm when she have time off. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

IMO,  weight, battery life and functionality are key student requirements.

I recently bought an Acer Swift X, similar specs to M2 MacBook Air but at a much cheaper price.

Swift X - เอเซอร์ (ประเทศไทย) (acerthailand.com)

Thank you, but 35k+ is not an option ????????

For windows laptop, Intel Core I5 or I7 , 8 GB ram minimum, 16 is better if doing video. Most laptop ram is soldered on the motherboard so you have to confirm in the detailed spec's if there is a SODIMM slot present and free. SSD storage minimum of 256 GB. 128 GB can work, but you want to keep free space on disk to at least 25 %, so not much leftover from windows and apps. An external usb drive can help. 

if they are looking at Chrome OS laptop, the hardware required is less, but you have to confirm all of the apps are available that are needed. Chrome OS is a little less hassle, but you need internet access all of the time.

A side story- when i was that age we were using a teletype terminal and paper tape to program Snoopy calendars and chess games. Definitely improved situation in the last 50 years.

if you get a refurb instead of a new one, test the battery run time. You will likely want to replace it with a new OEM battery which eats up the cost savings.  Any 8th generation Intel or current AMD quad core 5000 or 6000 series will be adequate.

Prepare yourself to take on tge role of tech support ????

Edited by degrub

I guess future is hard to guess, and I know a chromebook can be as good as anything else, but Im not there to help her, and therefor I need something that her friends and hopefully a teacher whould be able to help with. 

More or less decided PowerBuy is the place to go shopping for her, and hopefully staff there who can set up for us the proper way as well explain her. Also willing to pay for extra training for her to get started, as well if there is any computer program she can do at school as well on the spare time she got. 

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

She do not know what she wants or need, neither do any teachers. The computer room in school, is old desk top models ready to be recycled.

The reason I want to sponsor my wife niese is, one of the family friends who just finished school now 17 years old, started to work on Makro, and she was asked if she knew how to use a computer, unfortunate not, and lost an opportunity, If she just had basic knownledge she would had better pay and easier work. 

Im also willing to sponsor her extra classes so she can learn even in school holidays. 

She is always on top of the list in the class, and seems to be one of the smarter ones, and always work hard, willing to learn and help my wife on the farm when she have time off. 

Nice points. Can I suggestyou ask the student and others about available computer courses which provide a CERTIFICATE:

- With a grade,

or at least

- A certificate of attendance.

- Better still; a cerificate which lists the subjects taught in the course.

Even so what's common is for job applications:

- Certificate (as above), plus job candidate asked to, on the spot, create a simple Word file, or Excel file, etc.

Often by retyping a couple of Word paragraphs from a book or magazine etc., or given a hand written list of numbers / baht amounts and tasked to create an Excel table which automatically totals or automatically sorts lowest to highest numbers etc. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1