Thaksin’s tweet about grandchild seen as political gambit

webfact

image.jpeg

by Mitch Connor

Academics speculate that a recent tweet by fugitive former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was a political ploy to garner support for the Pheu Thai Party, as pollsters predict it may lose votes to the increasingly popular Move Forward Party (MFP) before the General Election scheduled for May 14.

Yesterday, Thaksin tweeted that he would return to Thailand now that his seventh and youngest grandchild has been born as he wants to take care of them at the age of 73.

Thaksin expressed his delight on Twitter, sharing news that his daughter Paetongtarn Shinawatra had given birth to his seventh grandchild, all of whom were born after he left the country.

“I’d like to ask for permission to return to take care of the grandchildren because I will be 74 years old this July. See you soon.”

Paetongtarn, who is also a prime ministerial candidate for the Pheu Thai Party, shared on Instagram that her son has been named Phruethasin Suksawat, with the nickname Thasin. She expressed gratitude for the moral support and stated her intention to meet the press soon after recovering from the birth.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thaksins-tweet-about-grandchild-seen-as-political-gambit

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I always thought the idea is that the mother of the child takes care of the child, and not the grandfather. 

Maybe she should stay home and take care of her child. And he should stay in the desert.

Win for the baby, win for Thailand. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always thought the idea is that the mother of the child takes care of the child, and not the grandfather. 

Maybe she should stay home and take care of her child. And he should stay in the desert.

Win for the baby, win for Thailand. 

Guess you've never seen grandparents here looking after their grandchildren (happens all the time all over Thailand) and you think women should stay home and look after their babies and not have a career. Seems a rather anacronistic point of view IMO.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

57 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Guess you've never seen grandparents here looking after their grandchildren (happens all the time all over Thailand) and you think women should stay home and look after their babies and not have a career. Seems a rather anacronistic point of view IMO.

As far as I know many mothers leave their kids with the grandparents in Thailand because the mothers have to work and make money.

Many mothers who don't have to worry about money and who care about their children spend a lot of time with the children. Because it is good for the children that the parents take care of them.

Too many children grow up without parents who take care of them, with often bad consequences.

If anybody wants to have children, then I think they should be able to afford the children and they should take care of them. A career should not be more important than children. And if the children are old enough to go to school, then the mother can still continue with her career.

What's the point of having a career and having no time for the kids? If mothers don't want to be mothers, then they shouldn't have kids.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Yesterday, Thaksin tweeted that he would return to Thailand now that his seventh and youngest grandchild has been born as he wants to take care of them at the age of 73.

Have flights to Dubai suddenly stopped?

• Haha 1