Man with terminal cancer killed by train in Kanchanaburi

tim-wildsmith-f07Yb33ys2A-unsplash.jpg

PHOTO: Unsplash

A 54 year old man in the final stage of tracheal cancer was tragically killed after being run over by a train in Kanchanaburi’s Muang district. The incident occurred yesterday afternoon when the man, identified as Suparp, lay down on the tracks near a railway station with a cloth covering his face.

Police Captain Thammarat Sukhiwong, a Muang police investigator, reported that the accident took place around 5.30pm, shortly after train 259 (Thon Buri-Nam Tok) left Wang Yen railway station in tambon Wang Yen, heading towards Nam Tok station. The train driver, whose identity remains undisclosed, told authorities that the train was still in the process of accelerating when he spotted the man lying on the tracks in front of him. Although he applied the brakes immediately, the driver was unable to stop the train in time, resulting in the train running over Suparp and sadly cutting him in half.

Suparp’s younger sister informed authorities that her brother, who was suffering from the final stages of windpipe cancer, resided in a house approximately 200 metres from the railway. Due to his condition, Suparp was unable to eat properly and had to be tube-fed. In the past, he had attempted to take his own life by inserting a finger into an electrical socket.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/man-with-terminal-cancer-killed-by-train-in-kanchanaburi

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

He has to live with the knowledge that he ran over someone he saw laying on the tracks.

Just because it was suicide do you really think that makes him feel better?

Yes i believe that he will be able to understand this.Suicide by train does

happen a lot and all train drivers are fully aware this can happen anytime.

Sadly it is part of the job dealing with incidents like this and not only in

Thailand.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

He has to live with the knowledge that he ran over someone he saw laying on the tracks.

Just because it was suicide do you really think that makes him feel better?

He actually helped put an end to the poor man's suffering. Act of mercy IMO.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am not allowed to say 

There's a very painless way to end one's life, unfortunately the means to do so is not easily available in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He put the brakes on and tried to stop 

But didn't succeed, so he inadvertently ended the guys suffering. Nothing to feel guilty about.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

But didn't succeed, so he inadvertently ended the guys suffering. Nothing to feel guilty about.

It cannot be a pleasant experience for anyone , seeing a body freshly cut into a few different pieces and someone having to pick the pieces up and clean up 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

It cannot be a pleasant experience for anyone , seeing a body freshly cut into a few different pieces and someone having to pick the pieces up and clean up 

Agreed, but Emergency Services have to do it every day with road accidents. I guess suicides don't have cleanup furthermost in their minds.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Agreed, but Emergency Services have to do it every day with road accidents. I guess suicides don't have cleanup furthermost in their minds.

Yes, they selfishly just think about themselves and what they want and don't think about others ,  

I would like to see them put in jail for a year, before being cremated 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, they selfishly just think about themselves and what they want and don't think about others ,  

Bit difficult to put a dead person in jail.

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I think i'd prefer a less painful way of going out than being squashed by a train wheel.

Pills, cyanide or even the noose but not the 259 to Nam Tok. 

Might be a bit of a gory clean-up, but I doubt the guy felt a thing. Pills or poison aren't always successful and may just put you in a coma, not like getting cut in half.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Dead person in jail. Strange idea.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jvs said:

Strange way of thinking,i am sure suicide victims don't try to kill

themselves to make others feel bad.It is a desperate attempt to end the

suffering.

I didn't even say that people kill themselves to make others feel bad 

18 hours ago, Enoon said:

If Thai society, among others, could get it into its skull that life does not have to be maintained at all costs, despite the pain and misery that can result, there would be no problem of irresponsibility.........there would be a "pathway".

And anyway.....who is ever "irresponsible"  in Thailand?

You may think him so.......the Thais?

I have a DNR (do not resuscitate) sheet in Thai and English I'm giving to my Thai Dr next visit.I'm going to ask her to put in in my file.At 72 I'm good with that.I've got my wife and her sister to witness and sign it.I'm doing this for 2 reasons,quality of life. I don't want to survive and be a veg or crippled etc.The other reason is I don't want to end up in an ICU being kept alive by machines. I have a ton of exclusions on my insurance policy and am basically only covered from my chin up and navel down.

No way I want my family's inheritance squandered  while I'm plugged in and when they tell the Dr the money finit they pull the plug.

Anyone out there disagree?

20 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although he should have chosen a more responsible way than going under a train 

I reckon it's better than jumping off a building. 

Maybe he should have asked the cyanide woman for some of her product 

What a more responsible way in your opinion? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

39 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I didn't even say that people kill themselves to make others feel bad 

No, you said that they are selfish and don't consider others.