Windows 10 22H2 update has been downloaded onto my external HDD, do I need to also download an ISO media creation tool to complete the 22H2 installation?

steven100

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes ... correct,  very small .... it was ok for what I needed up until this damn update came along,  anyway I'll copy everything except windows over to my HDD 500gb ... then i may take it to the shop to upgrade/increase the flash memory from 64GB to max .... and see what else he can upgrade.

Likely cannot upgrade the flash memory. If you back up your data, then you can simply run a clean install from Boot. Though he can possibly add a SATA drive for storage. 

• Like 2

yes ... correct,  very small .... it was ok for what I needed up until this damn update came along,  anyway I'll copy everything except windows over to my HDD 500gb ... then i may take it to the shop to upgrade/increase the flash memory from 64GB to max .... and see what else he can upgrade.

I was typing out a long reply about why you need a new PC but I'll just cut to the chase and say...

You need a new PC. Don't waste time and money on trying to upgrade that one.

• Thumbs Up 2

anyway I'll copy everything except windows over to my HDD 500gb

Moving your data over and adjusting the user library folders accordingly is doable. Moving programs, no. Perhaps you can put portable versions of some of your programs on the 500gb and uninstall the full versions from your system drive.

then i may take it to the shop to upgrade/increase the flash memory from 64GB to max

That eMMC memory isn't upgradable. Your computer doesn't have a slot for a microSD card, where you could move your data? Probably no port for an SSD. External USB drive might be the best you can do. 

There are smaller versions of Windows around and if you were knowledgeable you could customize one for yourself. You could try tiny11: https://old.reddit.com/r/tiny10/.

Otherwise, as others have said, get into Linux if it doesn't have issues w/ your computer model. You can google for other users' experiences. That's what I did for my throwaway low-end laptop.

Your problem isn't uncommon w/ netbooks etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Moving your data over and adjusting the user library folders accordingly is doable. Moving programs, no. Perhaps you can put portable versions of some of your programs on the 500gb and uninstall the full versions from your system drive.

That eMMC memory isn't upgradable. Your computer doesn't have a slot for a microSD card, where you could move your data? Probably no port for an SSD. External USB drive might be the best you can do. 

There are smaller versions of Windows around and if you were knowledgeable you could customize one for yourself. You could try tiny11: https://old.reddit.com/r/tiny10/.

Otherwise, as others have said, get into Linux if it doesn't have issues w/ your computer model. You can google for other users' experiences. That's what I did for my throwaway low-end laptop.

Your problem isn't uncommon w/ netbooks etc.

Too complicated. He can simply run a clean install on the current drive. Though a simple clean up before an ‘over the top’ should do it. No reason as to why he cannot find 20 GB from a 59.6 GB drive space. A Windows 10 install doesn’t take up even 39.6 GB. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

He can simply run a clean install on the current drive.

Unnecessary, tedious, and the problem will just recur.

9 minutes ago, NextG said:

Though a simple clean up before an ‘over the top’ should do it.

Yeah, we always have a lot of "shoulds" around here. It all depends. He's been told about the cleaning.

10 minutes ago, NextG said:

No reason as to why he cannot find 20 GB from a 59.6 GB drive space.

One man's ease is another's difficulty. If he moves most of that data off the drive, then of course he can find the space. He hasn't said exactly how much he has. I assume he doesn't have a lot of big apps on there. He could leave the user libs at default and just link to folders with older data on the external disk. That'll be fine for while, anyway.

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Unnecessary, tedious, and the problem will just recur.

Yeah, we always have a lot of "shoulds" around here. It all depends. He's been told about the cleaning.

One man's ease is another's difficulty. If he moves most of that data off the drive, then of course he can find the space. He hasn't said exactly how much he has. I assume he doesn't have a lot of big apps on there. He could leave the user libs at default and just link to folders with older data on the external disk. That'll be fine for while, anyway.

Utterly nonsensical. 

You assert that a clean install(which could take twenty minutes) is unnecessary and tedious, whilst suggesting tiny versions of Windows ???? How would those get installed then?

A clean install would not even take up half the drive. From then onwards, storage should be mapped to the external drive. Quick and relatively easy. 
Don’t try to make yourself look smarter, when you are not. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NextG said:

, whilst suggesting tiny versions of Windows ???? How would those get installed then?

You consciously missed the point to appear smarter than you are, making a nonsensical point of your own. I didn't suggest he reinstall. But IF he's going to reinstall, he could CONSIDER a tiny version, as well as Linux. Duh.

A clean install would not even take up half the drive.

But then he has none of his programs or data. Faster just to move the data off, which he'd have to do anyway, do the cleanup, now have half his drive back (or enough, anyway) and install his update.

From then onwards, storage should be mapped to the external drive.

Or not, to save your fear of complication. Could just have all the old data there, folders bookmarked. He could then just move new data over as needed to conserve space. That could be easily automated. And just save larger files (such as downloaded videos) to the external drive by default.

Don’t try to make yourself look smarter, when you are not. 

Despite your struggle to appear smarter than you are (important), you've failed to offer the best solution. Do you need some help getting over it? It's nearby and very effective.

Edited by BigStar

3 hours ago, NextG said:

Too complicated. He can simply run a clean install on the current drive. Though a simple clean up before an ‘over the top’ should do it. No reason as to why he cannot find 20 GB from a 59.6 GB drive space. A Windows 10 install doesn’t take up even 39.6 GB. 

so shift everything over onto the ext' hdd ( except Win10 of course) .....  then do a new install and let it install over the existing Windows 10.  Then bring back a few apps etc that I want on the PC. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

so shift everything over onto the ext' hdd ( except Win10 of course) .....  then do a new install and let it install over the existing Windows 10.  Then bring back a few apps etc that I want on the PC. 

Yes, though if you are just going to install over the top(easiest) then it’s not a ‘new’ install but an ‘upgrade’. A clean install is when you are prepared to wipe the whole drive clean and to make a fresh install on a completely clean drive(a bit more involved for a novice, though not insurmountable). Clean install is likely  to bring the best performance benefit, but may be a step too far for you, in knowing the right choices to make along the way for an optimal install. 
So a clean up(including system files and any old Windows installations) followed by an upgrade install is more like within your capability. If a reliable tech is involved, I would go for a clean install. I am not confident that you have access to such a person. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

If I were you, after shifting everything over to the external HDD AND performed the cleanup procedures suggested in the thread (done that yet?), I'd see if I'd freed enough space to install the update in question--as lack of space seems to be the problem. Might work well, and then you've saved yourself some bother, not to say overkill. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

If I were you, after shifting everything over to the external HDD AND performed the cleanup procedures suggested in the thread (done that yet?), I'd see if I'd freed enough space to install the update in question--as lack of space seems to be the problem. Might work well, and then you've saved yourself some bother, not to say overkill. 

It’s not an issue of a lack of space that it doesn’t install. 
It might have been the issue initially, due to the required files to complete the install not having been delivered in the first instance. 
He can clear away the perhaps incomplete download and then try to download the the update again. 
The reason why I went with an upgrade install is because he already had that downloaded. A clean install is good because it won’t take up even half the drive, leaving enough space for the eMMC drive to work optimally. 
I suggest the next time, before you decide to be rude and to start an argument… check the error code. 

Long answer:

To fix the error manually, it will be necessary to remove all of the files partially downloaded, and try again to update your Windows files.

1. On the Windows desktop, press Start, and when the menu opens up,

2. Press Run, and input the following command “services.msc”

3. In the Run box, type "services.msc", and press "Enter".

4. This will open the "Local Services" window.

5. In the Local Services window find the name “Automatic Updates” and right click.

6. On right click, scroll down and press “Stop”. This will cause the Automatic Updates to pause to correct the situation. Do not close the Local Services window.

At this point you can go to the "Software Distribution" folder and delete its contents, or give the folder another name. It is advised that you just rename the folder,

7. To do this go to the Windows desktop and press “Start” then press “Run” when the menu opens.

8. Input the “cmd” command into Run, and the computer will take you to the DOS prompt.

9. At the DOS prompt type in this command “cd %windir%” (without the quotes), and press Enter.

10. You should now be in the Windows directory.

11. At the Windows directory, input “ren SoftwareDistribution SoftDisTemp” and hit "Enter". This will rename the Software Distribution folder to the new name of SoftDisTemp.

12. Type "Exit" and hit "Enter" to close the DOS window.

13. Now go to the "Local Services" window and right click "Automatic Updates" to restart it.

14. Try Windows Update again. 

An ‘over the top’ upgrade might appear less onerous. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NextG said:

It’s not an issue of a lack of space that it doesn’t install. 

In fact, it still could be, as he still hasn't yet got enough space.???? He should try with 32gb free before considering a reinstall and further flapping around.

9 hours ago, NextG said:

It might have been the issue initially, due to the required files to complete the install not having been delivered in the first instance. He can clear away the perhaps incomplete download and then try to download the the update again.

He'd downloaded the update to his external drive, he said. What you have is speculation claimed as fact, as you admit with "perhaps incomplete download." Perhaps.???? Nor does he necessarily need to "clear away" the supposed incomplete download. Running update again, running the Update Assistant, or running the Update Troubleshooter will likely deal with that, IF it's an issue.

Avoid overcomplications, you see. 

9 hours ago, NextG said:

The reason why I went with an upgrade install is because he already had that downloaded

But, alas, that reason is insufficient to discourage him from just clearing out plenty of space and trying the update again.

9 hours ago, NextG said:

A clean install is good because it won’t take up even half the drive, leaving enough space for the eMMC drive to work optimally. 

And it won't take up even half the drive 'cause then he's got nothing left but Windows.???? On that account, a clean install is bad. He's been told that. 

And he'll have enough space for his eMMC to work well enough after he's moved all that data out--as well as, looks like, uninstalled some big programs. Putting it all back after the reinstall would defeat your proposed optimization.

Windows almost never needs reinstalling. Thai technicians commonly resort to it for obvious reasons.

9 hours ago, NextG said:

I suggest the next time, before you decide to be rude and to start an argument… check the error code. 

Yes, ma'am, but I know what the error code means, so that angle won't help achieve that needed feeling of superiority. I suggest you simply work on building true self-confidence and self-esteem. That way you needn't get your knickers in a twist with worry that someone might be trying to be smarter than you; and, accordingly, get rude and argue when alternative, indeed better solutions are suggested. Now you've had a little help in this thread (and others) already, but I'm not sure it's quite enough yet.

OP:

In sum, OP, clear out all that space and try the update again. If no immediate joy, also try the Update Troubleshooter (remarkably, I've seen it be helpful on occasion), and the Update Assistant. Then go with the usual Thai tech solution if you prefer not to spend more time on a fix. I'm confident it can be fixed, however.  

Good news is that this is the last version of Win 10, but it will also be updated as usual on Patch Tuesdays, so you're still gonna need space. You can probably get away with keeping most of your files, esp. the big files, on your external drive; and then keeping only small, frequently accessed files on your eMMC. Above, WinDirStat was suggested for checking space and file sizes. I also suggest TreeSize, used that for years: https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

See if there aren't portable versions of your programs to run from the external drive. Nothing I don't do myself, as I have 66GB of portable programs on an HDD to keep them off my system SSD. I have shortcuts to those I commonly use on a launcher, but you can pin them to Windows Start menu, of course. Create folders with shortcuts there if desired. 

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

In fact, it still could be, as he still hasn't yet got enough space.???? He should try with 32gb free before considering a reinstall and further flapping around.

He'd downloaded the update to his external drive, he said. What you have is speculation claimed as fact, as you admit with "perhaps incomplete download." Perhaps.???? Nor does he necessarily need to "clear away" the supposed incomplete download. Running update again, running the Update Assistant, or running the Update Troubleshooter will likely deal with that, IF it's an issue.

Avoid overcomplications, you see. 

But, alas, that reason is insufficient to discourage him from just clearing out plenty of space and trying the update again.

And it won't take up even half the drive 'cause then he's got nothing left but Windows.???? On that account, a clean install is bad. He's been told that. 

And he'll have enough space for his eMMC to work well enough after he's moved all that data out--as well as, looks like, uninstalled some big programs. Putting it all back after the reinstall would defeat your proposed optimization.

Windows almost never needs reinstalling. Thai technicians commonly resort to it for obvious reasons.

Yes, ma'am, but I know what the error code means, so that angle won't help achieve that needed feeling of superiority. I suggest you simply work on building true self-confidence and self-esteem. That way you needn't get your knickers in a twist with worry that someone might be trying to be smarter than you; and, accordingly, get rude and argue when alternative, indeed better solutions are suggested. Now you've had a little help in this thread (and others) already, but I'm not sure it's quite enough yet.

OP:

In sum, OP, clear out all that space and try the update again. If no immediate joy, also try the Update Troubleshooter (remarkably, I've seen it be helpful on occasion), and the Update Assistant. Then go with the usual Thai tech solution if you prefer not to spend more time on a fix. I'm confident it can be fixed, however.  

Good news is that this is the last version of Win 10, but it will also be updated as usual on Patch Tuesdays, so you're still gonna need space. You can probably get away with keeping most of your files, esp. the big files, on your external drive; and then keeping only small, frequently accessed files on your eMMC. Above, WinDirStat was suggested for checking space and file sizes. I also suggest TreeSize, used that for years: https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

See if there aren't portable versions of your programs to run from the external drive. Nothing I don't do myself, as I have 66GB of portable programs on an HDD to keep them off my system SSD. I have shortcuts to those I commonly use on a launcher, but you can pin them to Windows Start menu, of course. Create folders with shortcuts there if desired. 

Your post is full of nonsense… I stopped reading after the second paragraph, as it was already clear by then that you don’t have a clue…