Best Value VPN

Neeranam

As with most things in this world, you will get what you pay, or do not pay for. Express or Nord are the market leaders, and from my experience, live up to their reputation. Other 'free' ones do not. I have tried many of them.

My sons in Dubai need a VPN to use Whats App, Skype etc etc. Only Express works.

$90 for up to six users for 12 months seems OK to me, because IT WORKS.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

After running a few premium services on trial a few years back, I settled on PureVPN as they manage to keep the pipes to BBC iPlayer open. I use it on laptop and smartphone in some remote locations (via satellite) and it reliably connects with usable throughput. Their GUI used to be a bit cheesy but they've smartened that up recently.

• Thanks 1

AFAIK Kaspersky has a free option that offers 200MB if throughput daily. Their product is actually a licenced version of Hotspot Shield. 
Hotspot Shield itself offers 500MB per day for free, though limited to a speed of 2 Mbps. 
There is only one free VPN of which I know that offers unlimited throughput, though you only get three locations from which to choose; USA, the Netherlands and Japan. 

Edited by NextG

https://torrentfreak.com/best-vpn-anonymous-no-logging/

I had nordvpn for about 5 years. While it's ok for things like changing your location for geolocated streaming it is lacking when torrenting a low seeded torrent due to lack of port forwarding which is needed to fully use the torrenting protocol. I went with torguard which is also torrentfreak's top choice. About $60 USD for 3 years. Had issues with it initially but their support cleared it up quite quickly via exchanging a few emails. They gave for free a fixed IP that normally costs more than the VPN service. 

• Thanks 1

I'd decide on a provider then look for a promotion.

There are many places to find promotions but Youtube may be the easiest. Just look for a recent "VPN review" video for the provider, and there will be promo links in the description.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Not the cheapest, but surely on the top of the range when it comes to safety is Mullvad VPN

how does a VPN make you 'safe'? answer, it probably doesn't.....

OP what are you trying to achieve?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, driver52 said:

how does a VPN make you 'safe'?

There are many aspects of safety and none of them can be addressed to 100%.  A VPN makes your communications over the public internet safer.  For example, that would make it harder for 3rd parties to capture your personal data for use in compromising your financial accounts.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, driver52 said:

no it doesn't.....

According to many articles a VPN can protect and make your transactions safer.

Is a VPN safe for online banking? - Surfshark

Yes, it is safe to use a VPN for online banking, provided you know what you are doing. In fact, online banking with a VPN is safer than without it. A virtual private network does NOT compromise your data, protecting it when you bank over public Wi-Fi or through a home network. 

Generally speaking, encryption is the most important feature a VPN offers. To that end, the current 256-bit encryption standards are nearly impossible to crack in a human lifetime. This is why government agencies, as well as VPNs, use them universally.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

There are many aspects of safety and none of them can be addressed to 100%.  A VPN makes your communications over the public internet safer.  For example, that would make it harder for 3rd parties to capture your personal data for use in compromising your financial accounts.

Unfortunately they're often used for nefarious purposes and web delivery and security companies like Cloudfare may blacklist their IP addresses, thus negating the benefit for genuine users who'll have to switch them off in such circumstances.

10 minutes ago, treetops said:

Unfortunately they're often used for nefarious purposes and web delivery and security companies like Cloudfare may blacklist their IP addresses, thus negating the benefit for genuine users who'll have to switch them off in such circumstances.

I use commercial VPN's very sparingly, however I do use VPN technology that I control 100% running on my own hardware.

13 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Not the cheapest, but surely on the top of the range when it comes to safety is Mullvad VPN

Agreed.

3 hours ago, driver52 said:

how does a VPN make you 'safe'? answer, it probably doesn't.....

OP what are you trying to achieve?

Mullvad is considered one of the most trustworthy providers, however your requirements dictate which provider is best.

For accessing geo-restricted video content, I use PIA, which is a pretty dubious provider, however, I isolate that machine from the rest of my network. I would never use a system wide VPN, but there are a lot of questions here on how to set up a VPN on a router, where you are asking for problems. Using proprietary software fro the provider is also sketchy.

Nothing in this world is free, although Windscribe and Proton (I think that protons is free similar to windscribe) seem trustworthy to a point, but I had issues getting access to some video streams using them.

For security purposes, I run my own VPN server in a data center in France. If the OP is worried about security, running OpenVPN on your own server may be better than subscribing to a service.

Edited by recom273
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

There is only one free VPN of which I know that offers unlimited throughput, though you only get three locations from which to choose; USA, the Netherlands and Japan. 

Care to share the name of the vpn???

Proton VPN..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, recom273 said:

For security purposes, I run my own VPN server in a data center in France. If the OP is worried about security, running OpenVPN on your own server may be better than subscribing to a service.

I have rather a lot of cryptocurrency on certain exchanges on my computer. I know this is not what some advise, but the staking rewards are worth the risk for some of my portfolio. 

I don't understand what you mean about servers. 

I would like to use a poker platform from the UK. Online poker is not illegal in Thailand if it is based abroad but this platform doesn't allow Thaialnd. 

I used PURE-VPN for 2 years but became frustrated with declining service and slow connections.  

After checking a lot of recommendations, I settled on an excellent 2 year introductory deal from SURFSHARK and have been a happy surfer since.  Easy and very fast connections, never any buffering.  No difficulty accessing US Netflix and Amazon Prime.  I just renewed for another 2 years.

2 hours ago, Pink Mist said:

Generally speaking, encryption is the most important feature a VPN offers

https means encryption, a VPN offers nothing extra.......marketing drivel much huh?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It does, if you want to use the web anonymously for whatever reason.

your ISP knows exactly what you're doing..........i doubt you're sophisticated enough to use TOR........which could or could not be an invention of the see eye aaa ????

2 minutes ago, driver52 said:

your ISP knows exactly what you're doing..........i doubt you're sophisticated enough to use TOR........which could or could not be an invention of the see eye aaa ????

You don't have much idea how vpn works, do you?

Sophisticated enough? to use TOR? hrhr...