Hat Yai to Wang Prachan (Satun) border hop options?

What is the best way to get from Hat Yai to the Wang Prachan border crossing in Satun for a single day border hop? I understand that this border crossing is not the closest to Hat Yai (the closest ones being Sadao and Padang Besar), but it seems to be the easiest one, as border run companies take hordes of Russian people from Phuket to this border crossing. My question is basically about the transportation options, as I haven't found any direct routes from Hat Yai to Wang Prachan.

Edited by JoseThailand

19 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

My question is basically about the transportation options, as I haven't found any direct routes from Hat Yai to Wang Prachan.

I can't imagine there would be. You'd probably need to take a minibus to Satun and then another to Wang Prachan.  

Wang Prachan is indeed usually an easy one... but it's not a 100% sure thing as there's one woman there who just likes to say "cannot". Then it's bad luck for you.

There's no public transport to the border, you need to get a taxi at least from main road.

If you don't have your own vehicle best is probably to go early and try the easiest way first (Sadao), there are very few reasons why they wouldn't sort you out there if you're ready to fork out the usually reasonable extra fee. Only time I saw a real problem there was with less than 6 months left on passport validity, which was a proper no-no, almost couldn't get in (after I was prevented to board KL-TH flight at airport so it was not a Sadao thing, it's just a tough rule). Then use Wang Prachan as plan B if you can't make it work in Sadao.

Edited by SeaBee
  • Like 1

(Second hand report) For a same day border bounce, they want to charge you about 1,300 baht. As long as you are happy paying this bribe, it is reported to be a friendly crossing.

On public transport to the border, there are mixed reports. Some say that there are minibuses in the mornings from Satun to/from Wang Prachan, but that might only be true at the weekends when the decent sized border market is open.

4 hours ago, Badger18 said:

I might do something like that later in the year. Why do you think the fact that a lot of Russians use the WP crossing makes that a better option?

It doesn't. The Russians come in large groups from Phuket, with a border run company, so WP is the closest option (and the visa run company most probably has got a global "smooth" deal for their clients, although most of them are within immigration rules and are entitled to that border run anyway). But if you're going by yourself you don't enjoy the same deal and they will charge you a (yet reasonable) extra fee to go/come back within same day, they say else you need to spend several days in Malaysia before entering back.

2 hours ago, SeaBee said:

But if you're going by yourself you don't enjoy the same deal

Yes that's what I was thinking. Is Sadao better than Pedang Besar then? The attraction of PB is that it's on the train line.

39 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Yes, what is the present situation at Sadao regarding the same day return?

According to reports, the Sadao border crossing is an unpleasant experience, but same day return is possible with the payment of a bribe which varies in the amount solicited.

satun / wang prachun where my go to borders for Malaysia, but no public transport
never did a in an out as usual would head to Penang an come back via Betong... great drive between Betong and Yalla

Go on the weekends as nice market there

• Thumbs Up 1