Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

'Still hope' for Thais at Man City

Thailand coach Chanvit Phalajivin insisted yesterday that Manchester City want to sign all three Thai players who are training with the Premiership club. ''I talked to Manchester City officials who said they wanted to sign the trio although Suree Sukha has the best chance of being in their first-team squad,'' said Chanvit. Chanvit was with Thailand internationals Suree, Kiatprawut Saiwaew and Teerasil Dangda for two weeks. Suree's application for a work permit was rejected by the Home Office last week and City reportedly will re-submit his application.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=121392

===========================================================================

A test of Thaksin's influence in the UK?

UPDATE... seems Thaksin just doesn't carry much weight in the UK as the work permit was denied... now if he needed a discount ticket to fly up to Chiang Mai on AirAsia after arriving in BKK... no problem

Three Thais return from Man City trial

After a month-long trial at Manchester City, three Thai players returned home with hopes of a dream move to the England's Premier League outfit still burning in their minds.

The national team trio, Suree Sukha, Teerasil Daengda and Kiatprawut Saiweao, flied back home on Tuesday amid huge interest of local media, who quickly mobbed the three since they emerged out of the gate.

The 26-year-old Suree, who had his family and girlfriend see him at the airport, reportedly came close securing a transfer to the Sky Blues but a work permit problem put his move on hold, denying him a chance to become the second Thai to have signed a contract with English club after striker star Kiatisak Senamuang, who once spent a brief spell with League One outfit Huddersfield.

- The Nation

Apparently Thaksin hasn't milked enough over-hype from this story just yet....

Man City consider signing Thai footballer

Thailand could soon boast a professional footballer in the premier league, according to sources. *For the umpteenth and still unrealized time.* It’s been reported that the manager of Manchester City football club, Sven Eriksson, is making preparations to visit Thailand on November 16 to look into a contract deal with Suree Sukha, 25, one of Thailand’s up-and-coming football defenders. Suree was one of three Thai footballers sent for a training session with the English premier league club last year. *and summarily rejected by British Home Office.* If the contract goes through, Suree will be the first Thai footballer to play at a professional level for a premier league team.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123323

=========================================================

I've got nothing against Suree. I'm sure he's trying to be as a good a player as he can, but he doesn't realize his pawn status in this political game.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Still hope' for Thais at Man City

Thailand coach Chanvit Phalajivin insisted yesterday that Manchester City want to sign all three Thai players who are training with the Premiership club. ''I talked to Manchester City officials who said they wanted to sign the trio although Suree Sukha has the best chance of being in their first-team squad,'' said Chanvit. Chanvit was with Thailand internationals Suree, Kiatprawut Saiwaew and Teerasil Dangda for two weeks. Suree's application for a work permit was rejected by the Home Office last week and City reportedly will re-submit his application.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=121392

===========================================================================

A test of Thaksin's influence in the UK?

UPDATE... seems Thaksin just doesn't carry much weight in the UK as the work permit was denied... now if he needed a discount ticket to fly up to Chiang Mai on AirAsia after arriving in BKK... no problem

Three Thais return from Man City trial

After a month-long trial at Manchester City, three Thai players returned home with hopes of a dream move to the England's Premier League outfit still burning in their minds.

The national team trio, Suree Sukha, Teerasil Daengda and Kiatprawut Saiweao, flied back home on Tuesday amid huge interest of local media, who quickly mobbed the three since they emerged out of the gate.

The 26-year-old Suree, who had his family and girlfriend see him at the airport, reportedly came close securing a transfer to the Sky Blues but a work permit problem put his move on hold, denying him a chance to become the second Thai to have signed a contract with English club after striker star Kiatisak Senamuang, who once spent a brief spell with League One outfit Huddersfield.

- The Nation

Apparently Thaksin hasn't milked enough over-hype from this story just yet....

Man City consider signing Thai footballer

Thailand could soon boast a professional footballer in the premier league, according to sources. *For the umpteenth and still unrealized time.* It’s been reported that the manager of Manchester City football club, Sven Eriksson, is making preparations to visit Thailand on November 16 to look into a contract deal with Suree Sukha, 25, one of Thailand’s up-and-coming football defenders. Suree was one of three Thai footballers sent for a training session with the English premier league club last year. *and summarily rejected by British Home Office.* If the contract goes through, Suree will be the first Thai footballer to play at a professional level for a premier league team.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123323

=========================================================

I've got nothing against Suree. I'm sure he's trying to be as a good a player as he can, but he doesn't realize his pawn status in this political game.

It is as usual a very well timed political move which will get a bunch of media coverage just before th upcoming election on which Mr. Thaksins party hopes to win. The idea of a Thai player whizzing around a True TV screen knocking the goals in at Maine Road or whatver they call the new place is sonmething that will apppeal to many Thai people. However, the actuality of this happening is as cose to zero as that of the average farmer suddenly being able to afford to access the premier league on Truvisions. Nice manouver admittedly.

People Power Party to finance free satellite television service giveaway

People Power Party spokesperson Sombat Fullofcrappymanure announced today that his party was prepared to provide Platinum Member Service from an unnamed satellite television provider to every farmer in an unnamed geographic area of Thailand as a means of showing appreciation for their support of his party. He elaborated that in order to receive the free service, the farmers had to pledge to support the party "in a really good way" the day after tomorrow.

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

News of the Future Department

December 21, 2007

*Disclaimer: The actual spokesperson's name is not Sombat.*

It is as usual a very well timed political move which will get a bunch of media coverage just before th upcoming election on which Mr. Thaksins party hopes to win. The idea of a Thai player whizzing around a True TV screen knocking the goals in at Maine Road or whatver they call the new place is sonmething that will apppeal to many Thai people. However, the actuality of this happening is as cose to zero as that of the average farmer suddenly being able to afford to access the premier league on Truvisions. Nice manouver admittedly.

Very well timed? Nice manouver? By who? Are you suggesting that Thaksin was behind this news release in today's Bangkok Post? That the Bangkok Post editors, until now anti-thaksin to core, were somehow compelled by the force of his sinister influence over yonder to print this story should make a very interesting story in itself. Please tell us how it happened.

Thaksin reveals Man City plans for Thailand and Far East

Manchester City chairman Thaksin Shinwatra is determined to build the club's brand across the Far East and also use the Premiership club to improve the prospects of Thailand footballers.

Speaking to the Premier League World TV programme, Thaksin said: "What I would like to change is that I would like Thai footballers to have the opportunity to play internationally. It is difficult at the moment because Thai clubs are not in the top 70 world ranking, so it is difficult to get a work permit. In my position now I am able to create opportunities for Thai footballers and to get more young Thais interested in football, because sport is important in Thailand and getting young Thai people more interested in sport is essential to the future of the country."

He has also underlined that success on the pitch is the priority for the Club, declaring: "I will do my best to make Manchester City a global brand which in the future, will also incorporate Thai products.

"I would like the Manchester City fan base to grow, and we want to give the fans opportunities to support the club to enable it to grow, making Manchester City a global brand. However, the most important thing is the success of the team at the heart of it, the success of the reputation or the brand of the club is based on the success of the team.

"Manchester was a city I had heard about for a long time but had never visited until I came to negotiate the purchase of the club. From what I have seen, the people are friendly and kind-hearted, I feel very welcome every time I come here, especially from the City fans. I believe that Manchester will become an important tourist destination for Britain, and now that I live here I will help to support and promote the city, not just the football club, I will help to promote Manchester in any way I can."

- Tribalfootball

Thaksin said: "What I would like to change is that I would like Thai footballers to have the opportunity to play internationally. It is difficult at the moment because Thai clubs are not in the top 70 world ranking, so it is difficult to get a work permit. In my position now I am able to create opportunities for Thai footballers and to get more young Thais interested in football, because sport is important in Thailand and getting young Thai people more interested in sport is essential to the future of the country."

Just get the rules changed, you know how. :o

The much Thaksin-hyped Thai player acquisition trip is revealed to be nothing more than a sponsorship-seeking journey... to China...

Eriksson not looking to sign players in Far East

The Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson will travel to the Far East next week as City tie up major sponsorship deals but he will not be bringing back Thai players for the club's first team.

Suggestions that the Swede is being pressured into signing players from Thailand – home of new club owner Thaksin Shinawatra – have been dismissed by the club.

"There is no chance of players from Thailand playing for our first team, certainly not in the conceivable future," a City spokesman said.

Eriksson will visit Bangkok and Shanghai, along with City's China international Sun Jihai, as the club complete the signings of four new sponsorship and commercial deals. City can expect to make between £5m and £10m from the agreements, with the bulk of the interest coming from China and not Shinawatra's homeland.

"We will be making four announcements next week, simultaneously in Bangkok, Shanghai and Manchester, regarding new partnership deals," the club spokesman added.

"There is immense interest in English football in the Far East, as well as City, and we would be aiming to crack the Far East, for want of a better word.

"These deals have come about because of where we are in the Premier League table [City are in third place, two points behind the leaders, Arsenal]. They are not things that would have happened in our position last season."

City will be setting up academies in the Far East and Eriksson will discuss bringing Thai and Chinese players to Eastlands for trials.

The Thailand right-back Suree Sukha could be one of the first players to travel to the UK. But City point out that they had several Thai youngsters at their Carrington training ground in pre-season, and all have returned home because they were not considered good enough. *which translates into the failure to secure work permits in the UK*

- The Independent (UK)

I think it's great what Thaksin & City are achieving at the moment. Of course you can't expect Thai players to make it in the Premier League initially, but that there's focus on improving the Thai game and focus on Thailand is great.

Also, I think probably a sport/education campus would probably work better.. There work permits aren't an issue because promising Thai players would be students, not employees. Doesn't matter if this is set up in England or Thailand or another country, it'd be good for Thailand..

And I love the way things are going for City.. Thaksin truly shines as a manager/CEO to be able to secure Sven, who keeps exceeding all expectations of friends and foes alike.

Still pushing the hype for anyone gullible enough to buy it...

Man City 'to sign Thai trio'

English Premier League club Manchester City, owned by ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, plans to sign three Thai players, a football club chairman said.

City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, who took the helm after Thaksin bought the club in July, is due to arrive in Thailand on Friday to make the signings, said Vittaya Khunpleum, chairman of Thai side Chonburi FC.

*perhaps at the same press conference, Vittaya will let us know where his father is...it's been a long time now that he's been running on the lam after a conviction for first degree murder... or at least tell us what his brother is up to since, like his boss Thaksin, he was banned from politics as a Thai Rak Thai-er.*

Two of the players - Suree Sukha and Kietprawut Saiaeo - come from his club, while the other player is Theerasil Daengda from Bangkok's Muangthong-Nongchok United FC, Vittaya said.

He said the chairman of the Football Association of Thailand told him about Eriksson's visit and the signings, and hailed it as a chance to showcase Asian and Thai football.

"Our players are qualified. If they can play in the (Man City) first team :o, football will become more interesting and it will help professional football in Thailand,'' Vittaya said.

"It is lucky that the chairman of the club is Thai,'' he added. :D

Thaksin, who was deposed in a coup in September 2006, now lives in England and is wanted in Thailand on charges of corruption. He has refused to return to the kingdom and says the charges are politically motivated.

Since buying Man City, the Thai billionaire has said he wants to bring players from his homeland to the club.

- Agence France-Presse

"I would like the Manchester City fan base to grow, and we want to give the fans opportunities to support the club to enable it to grow, making Manchester City a global brand. However, the most important thing is the success of the team at the heart of it, the success of the reputation or the brand of the club is based on the success of the team.

Hi

So he's shafted/robbed the Thai people once and now he wants to USE Man city to promote Thai football. What utter b@llox. He will, in the not to distant future undertake a Rights Issue and offer the poor lowly Thai people a CHANCE to own a part of an English Football team. So he pays nothing and THEY pay twice.

I'll eat my hat if it dont happen! I'll have to buy one first!! :o:D:D

Dave :D

Hi

So he's shafted/robbed the Thai people once and now he wants to USE Man city to promote Thai football. What utter b@llox. He will, in the not to distant future undertake a Rights Issue and offer the poor lowly Thai people a CHANCE to own a part of an English Football team. So he pays nothing and THEY pay twice.

I'll eat my hat if it dont happen! I'll have to buy one first!! :D:D:D

Dave :D

fA might have something to say about that ,,,,,,,,,,,not fair to your hat anyway :o

Manchester City to sign Suree

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is to travel to Bangkok before the end of this week to complete the signing of Thai international Suree Sukha.

The club said it can handle administrative problems for Suree, who was initially denied a work permit by the British Home Office.

Bangkok post

I see the error here. He does not need a work permit, he needs a play permit. :o

I get the feeling Thaksin is being Thaksin again. Lets see who is offered tea money this time.

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is to travel to Bangkok before the end of this week to complete the signing of Thai international Suree Sukha.

The club said it can handle administrative problems for Suree, who was initially denied a work permit by the British Home Office.

Bangkok post

I see the error here. He does not need a work permit, he needs a play permit. :o

I get the feeling Thaksin is being Thaksin again. Lets see who is offered tea money this time.

I also here frank and Sven will sign a Rusian player. That will get the TV ratings well up.

Me thinks he knoweth what he does.

Bangkok post

I see the error here. He does not need a work permit, he needs a play permit. :D

John k, my understanding is that he is going to sign Suree and then loan him out to another club outside of the UK. This is common practice with certain clubs who want to sign younG upcoming talent from non EC countries, but who don't meet the criteria of playing in enough internationals. Suree's problem is that Thailand are ranked 107 in the world, and the criteria is that the player has to have represented a nation that is ranked in the top 75 on average over the last 24 months. Special exemptions are possible for exceptional talents, clEArly Suree does not fall into that category.

As far as I am aware Suree is still not eligable for a WP, and probably never will be. This is nothing more than a cheap publicity stunt, but you can't blame Man City for doing it as they are trying to break into the lucrative Asian market and this is one way of doing it. Nicely timed though, with the forthcoming elections coming up.

P.S. Mr Boj, I don't blame City one bit for it. Good luck to them. :o

Edited by mrtoad

P.S. Mr Boj, I don't blame City one bit for it. Good luck to them. :D

Cheers Toady. Whatever one's views of Frank are, he is doing something at the club that we have all wanted for well, er, ever since i was a lad. Which is way too long. :o

On another note, Man United have always been at the forefront of "Branding" their club and selling it abroad, in itself this has brought fortune and thus success and with success it brings more fortune. Man City have ALWAYS been behind the door in this respect, so i'm glad Frank is doing it.

Yes these lads maybe pawns but in reality, all footballers are. Because as sure as eggs are eggs, the club will dump you when you are no longer any use. Footballers know this and so their end game is to achieve as much wealth as they possibly can in their short playing career. Don't feel too sorry for the lad/s, they will earn more money this way and gain a status far and beyond that, if they carried on playing in Thailand.

Edit// P.S. Have some posts been removed from this thread ?

Edited by mrbojangles

P.S. Mr Boj, I don't blame City one bit for it. Good luck to them. :D

Cheers Toady. Whatever one's views of Frank are, he is doing something at the club that we have all wanted for well, er, ever since i was a lad. Which is way too long. :o

I can appreciate your desire for your team to do well. As a fellow long-time fan of another sport's team who had been winless of the big prize for decades, so I can empathize with your suffering. The question comes then at what cost does winning come at? Does the history of a new owner come into play at all or is it simply a matter of "Ok, he's got big bucks and will buy into some expensive players, so it doesn't matter where or how his wealth came about." ?? Is winning all that matters? Personally, if he were to attempt to buy the team I was a fan of, I would be vehemently opposed to it, even knowing that if he was successful in obtaining it that his riches could potentially bring them into the winner's circle. I'm not that desperate for a winning team that I would put aside some potential new owner's background to achieve it. Even the person they've chosen to be involved with the dealings is from the nefarious Khunpluem family (see above post).

On another note, Man United have always been at the forefront of "Branding" their club and selling it abroad, in itself this has brought fortune and thus success and with success it brings more fortune. Man City have ALWAYS been behind the door in this respect, so i'm glad Frank is doing it.

Yes these lads maybe pawns but in reality, all footballers are.

I agree with that and would extend it to most players in team sports. What separates these players are they being used as pawns in a political game with far-reaching consequences for an entire nation and thus is quite different than the typical pawn/king relationship of other players/owners.

Because as sure as eggs are eggs, the club will dump you when you are no longer any use. Footballers know this and so their end game is to achieve as much wealth as they possibly can in their short playing career. Don't feel too sorry for the lad/s, they will earn more money this way and gain a status far and beyond that, if they carried on playing in Thailand.

Edit// P.S. Have some posts been removed from this thread ?

I don't begrudge these players one bit for attempting to improve their lives. Whether or not they fully realize how they are being used is unknown, but even if they knew it, it's a whole easier to overlook it from their point of view as opposed to be forgiving of the owner that is using them.

Edited by sriracha john

John k, my understanding is that he is going to sign Suree and then loan him out to another club outside of the UK. This is common practice with certain clubs who want to sign young upcoming talent from non EC countries, but who don't meet the criteria of playing in enough internationals. Suree's problem is that Thailand are ranked 107 in the world, and the criteria is that the player has to have represented a nation that is ranked in the top 75 on average over the last 24 months. Special exemptions are possible for exceptional talents, clearly Suree does not fall into that category.

As far as I am aware Suree is still not eligible for a WP, and probably never will be. This is nothing more than a cheap publicity stunt

you're certainly not alone in that assessment:

Thaksin's critics have dismissed the City takeover and the club's interest in Thai players as publicity stunts aimed at helping the billionaire tycoon return to politics after his ouster in a coup last year.

- Reuters

Suree is the real deal

Football Association of Thailand (FAT) Secretary-General Ong-Arj Kosinkar said Eriksson is also interested in Teerasil Dangda and Kiatprawut Saiwaew, who were at City on trial recently with Suree. Suree was initially denied a work permit by Britain's Home Office but FAT President Worawi Makudi said he had talked to Premier League Chief Richard Scudamore. The official has promised to help sort out any problems.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=123523

=====================================================================

How much truth there is in Worawi's statement is unknown, but just taking it at face value, does the Premier League have the ability to influence Britain's Home Office into granting a work permit for someone that has been denied one previously for failing to meet the criteria, as described previously by mobi and mrtoad, and who apparently still fails to meet the criteria? :o

Can a club's owner be a position to leverage the Home Office to comply with his wishes or threaten them that they will face some sort of economic retaliation if it's denied? Obviously if he was still in Thailand, this sort of governmental manipulation would be easily conducted, but is the same true of Britain also? :D

Edited by sriracha john

Suree is the real deal

Football Association of Thailand (FAT) Secretary-General Ong-Arj Kosinkar said Eriksson is also interested in Teerasil Dangda and Kiatprawut Saiwaew, who were at City on trial recently with Suree. Suree was initially denied a work permit by Britain's Home Office but FAT President Worawi Makudi said he had talked to Premier League Chief Richard Scudamore. The official has promised to help sort out any problems.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=123523

=====================================================================

How much truth there is in Worawi's statement is unknown, but just taking it at face value, does the Premier League have the ability to influence Britain's Home Office into granting a work permit for someone that has been denied one previously for failing to meet the criteria, as described previously by mobi and mrtoad, and who apparently still fails to meet the criteria? :o

Can a club's owner be a position to leverage the Home Office to comply with his wishes or threaten them that they will face some sort of economic retaliation if it's denied? Obviously if he was still in Thailand, this sort of governmental manipulation would be easily conducted, but is the same true of Britain also? :D

The answear is a big fat no. Unless they are an exceptional talent, which none of the three are. Just pretty average footballers IMO, who happen to be Thai and are being used by Thaksin to improve his profile. They are probably not even good enough to play in the second tier (Championship) from what I have seen of them, if they were, why haven't any other clubs shown ay interest in them? The answear is simple, they are not good enough.

The Worawai statement just goes to show how much of an understanding they have of the professional game in Europe. Pretty much zero. Remeber this the federation that had two of the club teams expelled from the Asian Champions Cup 2 years ago because they couldn't fill out the player registrations correctly. This is also the federation that can even organise a league schedule that enables it's players to be released for international matches. They are a joke, and I seriously don't think anyone who actually has a reasonable knowledge of football take anything that these bufoons come out with any real sense of seriousness.

Thank you for that informative answer, mrtoad. As someone not well versed in the ins and out of football, I appreciate your assessment.... and pleased that its not different from what I presumed was the case regarding the British government.

Unfortunately, I fear that the general population is not so skeptical and will be busy flipping the UBC channels in an effort to try and find Suree as a starting player in a match wearing the Manchester City uniform.... the whole while praising the owner for being so wonderful and powerful as to ensure that one of their own is playing first string on a world-class football team.

I think it is fair to say that everything Thaksin does between now and when the polls close on election day is related to getting back in the PM chair. It does not seem to matter to him he is banned from that, he never had respect for anyone except himself. He will have his puppets pardon him, overturing the high court ruling and step back in. Then after several dozen people suddenly disappear he will pickup where he left off. Then he will quickly need to change the constitution because it has term limits that he is at or near. Then everyone hold on because then it gets messy. Forget about Manchester after that.

The question comes then at what cost does winning come at? Does the history of a new owner come into play at all or is it simply a matter of "Ok, he's got big bucks and will buy into some expensive players, so it doesn't matter where or how his wealth came about." ?? Is winning all that matters? [/color]

I get your point SJ. But firstly, Thaksin hasn't been convicted of anything yet and he is also no different to Abramovich, who gets little or no publicity of his past. I'm not excusing or condoning anything, i'm just stating a fact.

What also makes me laugh is that, as we know, most people in power in LOS are there through, what we call in the west, corrupt means. We may call it that, however, until it suits, it is widely excepted of the way to do business in Thailand and is the norm of every day life.

I'm not that desperate for a winning team that I would put aside some potential new owner's background to achieve it.[/color]

I am :o

I agree with that and would extend it to most players in team sports. What separates these players are they being used as pawns in a political game with far-reaching consequences for an entire nation and thus is quite different than the typical pawn/king relationship of other players/owners.

Yes, they maybe being used as political pawns but i'm pretty sure they are well aware of that and quite frankly don't give a sh1t.

P.S. Sorry about the quotes but it was a difficult post to put in order and to respond to. :D

To add to the point about the Thai lads getting a visa, (i purposely left out saying Work Permit) we shall see.

I applaud your confidence in the Gov't of the UK, that they have strict guidelines and don't let anyone in who doesn't meet the criteria. However, i am a tad more sceptical, as this country is full of immigrants who don't meet ANY criteria and shouldn't be here. But they are and the Government (by their own admission) haven't got a clue of how many.

Actually, there is a way that these lads could come here quite legally, as Scouse informed us a few months ago. They could come on a student Visa, which allows them to work for upto 20 hours per week. Now, whether training would be considered work, or part of the education i don't know but the 90 minutes playing football is far short of the allowed 20 hours per week. Mix that with a bit of Political clout and anything is possible. Frank didn't get to have billions of baht without being a tad shrewd :o

That's a great signature, 'mrbojangles', of which my grandmothers would have approved. Pity there's not more like them.

But, when you say: "But they are and the Government (by their own admission) haven't got a clue of how many", I have to point out the practicalities.

The Government of Thailand doesn't need to know how many immigrants it has here. It can clear out those who it decided to feel are the undesirable ones right smartish whenever it wishes to.

But the Government of the UK has to function in a very different situation, with no laws that require the carrying of a passport, or the production of an i.d. card, and so forth. Hence all the rules about Work Permits etc.

Like you, I think that 'Frank' will be fully aware that he could get Thai footballers to the UK easily by just finding a course at a college near Eastlands from which they could benefit by attendance. But that wouldn't get his name in the papers in electioneering time, would it?

Earlier, 'John K' suggestd that 'Frank' would forget about Manchester if his Thailand political presence took a turn for the better.

I doubt it.

That "I am now an 'Internationally-known Man', not just a one-country politician" is heady stuff.

Like you, I think that 'Frank' will be fully aware that he could get Thai footballers to the UK easily by just finding a course at a college near Eastlands from which they could benefit by attendance. But that wouldn't get his name in the papers in electioneering time, would it?

Publicity is publicity, we (and the papers) are talking about it now and Sven hasn't even landed in Thailand yet. Also, and i don't profess to know too much about Thai politics but I'm not too sure that Frank actually wants to be back in Government. Yes, he will want his buddies back in power for obvious reasons, but he himself back in Politics. To gain what ?

Earlier, 'John K' suggestd that 'Frank' would forget about Manchester if his Thailand political presence took a turn for the better.

I doubt it.

That "I am now an 'Internationally-known Man', not just a one-country politician" is heady stuff.

I concur.

Oops!

I have just noticed that 'mrbojangles' was referring to the UK Government, not the Thai one!!

His 'here' and mine aren't the same. Globalisation strikes again.

Phew, i got confused then :o

Ok Martin, I can buy into that. It is after all an expensive soapbox for him to stand on. However the bigger they are the harder they fall. Lets see what happens because it can go both ways after the elections.

Thaksin is most certainly is being scrutinized by more people now that he was before the coup. Once the fans get onto Thaksin selecting Thais for political reasons and not for making the team better, he will have some questions to answer and we all know how much he likes that game. Thaksin better hope the Thai players can run and kick like Gods or the facade all comes down in a hurry.