Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

This thread IS in a political forum and it has Thaksin's name in the title, I hope you don't get as many political posts in Man City updates thread in Soccer.

I was expecting slightly more publicity in the run up to elections, I doubt anyone even noticed Thai team playing reserves.

Maybe some Thai players will be on the field this Saturday (I don't know if there are any games scheduled, though).

No, there isn't too much of the polital stuff in the Man City thread.

I can agree with both sides of the story, but for the average Joe back in the UK Toxin will seem like a pretty decent guy. In the end he's spending his money on their team. As long as the going is good, the Toxin will be the fans favourite. They probably don't even know half of the stuff that he has been alledged to have done, or even care.

Me, I support the other team with Manchester in it's title, so I am not a fan of city, and I'm certainly no fan of Thaksin, who I believe to be an odious little crook, who has no right to a UK visa, but in the end he's got plenty of money, and a good story to prevent him being extradited.

As for Thai players on the field on Saturday, there's more likely to be a blizzard in Bangkok. :o

Edited by mrtoad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't much care for the man personally but I hope it works out for City.

Enjoy your team's new found success!

Second the motion ! :o

I too wish Man City all the best, but actually feel quite sorry for the fans having to tolerate such an unpleasant, scheming and Machiavellian owner.

But if he had bought into Spurs, I can honestly say, hand on heart, that as 50 year plus supporter, I would have jumped ship.

So, as a long suffering Spurs fan, I did take some special delight in beating Thaksin's team at home with only 10 men last night.

A rare and tasty success indeed :D

So, what with all the political posturing going on now from the odious Mr T, has Man City served it's purpose?

Expect to see a raft of publicity stunts using the club to further promote Toxin in a good light before his triumphant return in February. :o

So, what with all the political posturing going on now from the odious Mr T, has Man City served it's purpose?

Who know's but i doubt it Toady. Don't forget, Thaksin was wanting to buy a football club way before the coup. So why should he lose interest in them now? And what purpose do you suppose we have served? I can guess but i don't agree with it. As i said he has wanted to but a football club for a long time, so what was his purpose back then?

Expect to see a raft of publicity stunts using the club to further promote Toxin in a good light before his triumphant return in February. :o

But i'll agree that he'll be probably doing a lot of that :D

Who know's but i doubt it Toady. Don't forget, Thaksin was wanting to buy a football club way before the coup. So why should he lose interest in them now? And what purpose do you suppose we have served? I can guess but i don't agree with it. As i said he has wanted to but a football club for a long time, so what was his purpose back then?

But i'll agree that he'll be probably doing a lot of that :D

:D

I'm to intoxicated to give a full reply, but at least United won. :D

cash flow problems after the big election??? :o

Eriksson waits for Thaksin to show him the money

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is still waiting for the club's owner Thaksin Shinawatra to tell him if he can spend significantly in the January transfer window.

Eriksson revealed this week that he has three ambitious transfer targets in mind as he looks to strengthen the City squad and push for European qualification.

- Daily Mail (UK)

Edited by sriracha john

Reality rears its ugly head once more...

3 Thai Players at Man City Likely to Be Substitutes

The Chairman of the Manchester City Football club accepts that the three Thai footballers who recently joined the team might lose a chance to be on the line-up since their work permits have not yet been granted.

Thailand's deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is the Chairman of the Manchester City Football club, was interviewed on a local radio station.

He confessed that the three Thai footballers, Suree Sukha, Kiatprawut Saiwaew, and Thirasilp Daengda, who signed a contract with the team last November, have not been granted work permits because it is difficult to apply for the permits especially since the Thai National Football Team is not ranked among the top 70 world teams.

This means they will miss the chance to show their potential in the English Premier League.

However, the Thai National Football Team players has improved after training at the Manchester City Football Club for nearly two weeks.

There is a report that the Thai footballers will return to the club for further practice before the World Cup qualifier match with Japan kicks off in February.

Thaksin also believes his football club will be among the top five ranked teams in the Premier League this season.

- Thailand Outlook

Edited by sriracha john

The Chairman of the Manchester City Football club accepts that the three Thai footballers who recently joined the team might lose a chance to be on the line-up since their work permits have not yet been granted.

Thailand's deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is the Chairman of the Manchester City Football club, was interviewed on a local radio station.

He confessed that the three Thai footballers, Suree Sukha, Kiatprawut Saiwaew, and Thirasilp Daengda, who signed a contract with the team last November, have not been granted work permits because it is difficult to apply for the permits especially since the Thai National Football Team is not ranked among the top 70 world teams.

This means they will miss the chance to show their potential in the English Premier League.

However, the Thai National Football Team players has improved after training at the Manchester City Football Club for nearly two weeks.

There is a report that the Thai footballers will return to the club for further practice before the World Cup qualifier match with Japan kicks off in February.

Thaksin also believes his football club will be among the top five ranked teams in the Premier League this season.

- Thailand Outlook

I am of the opinion these players are not of Premiership standard, but are being used to promote the team in SEA more than anything else. It is probably a blessing in disguise that they will not be granted work permits, but then again, I could have told Thaksin that would have been the likely scenario before they set foot in England.

Hearts Lithuanian owner Vladimir Romanov tried a similar ploy by bringing in a raft of Lithuanians in to the detriment of the team but thankfully he seems to have seen the error of his ways recently but Hearts are currently languishing at 10th position in the SPL.

Of course they are not. How on earth could they be if they have never played in high standard environments. But if they have potentials, they could be trained to meet certain standards, I believe.

- Thailand Outlook

I am of the opinion these players are not of Premiership standard, but are being used to promote the team in SEA more than anything else. It is probably a blessing in disguise that they will not be granted work permits, but then again, I could have told Thaksin that would have been the likely scenario before they set foot in England.

Hearts Lithuanian owner Vladimir Romanov tried a similar ploy by bringing in a raft of Lithuanians in to the detriment of the team but thankfully he seems to have seen the error of his ways recently but Hearts are currently languishing at 10th position in the SPL.

Of course they are not. How on earth could they be if they have never played in high standard environments. But if they have potentials, they could be trained to meet certain standards, I believe.

I concur meemiathai.

The whole point of this was to bring Thai players with "potential", just like you bring any kid into a team, you build on their potential to make them a premiership standard. Yes, Thaksin could use it as PR, that's just business sense. But also, he wants to improve the Thai national team. He's Thai and he owns a football team who could help, so why wouldn't he?

The whole point of this was to bring Thai players with "potential", just like you bring any kid into a team, you build on their potential to make them a premiership standard. Yes, Thaksin could use it as PR, that's just business sense. But also, he wants to improve the Thai national team. He's Thai and he owns a football team who could help, so why wouldn't he?

It remains to be seen if training of three players with Man City for two weeks will do anything for Thai national team. Since Thaksin is paying, no harm done, except for perpetuation of the idea that Thai FA themselves don't need to do anything - just send players to training camps overseas.

I dount they'd develop their potential without actually playing, btw.

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is still waiting for the club's owner Thaksin Shinawatra to tell him if he can spend significantly in the January transfer window.

Eriksson revealed this week that he has three ambitious transfer targets in mind as he looks to strengthen the City squad and push for European qualification.

- Daily Mail (UK)

Election costs... frozen assets... is the pinch being felt?

Shinawatra's frozen assets a worry for City

Thaksin Shinawatra's ability to draw on reserves of money in his native Thailand to fund the development of Manchester City remains unclear following the arrest of his wife in Bangkok.

As the Roma winger Amantino Mancini became the latest player linked to the club yesterday, Shinawtra's wife Pojamarn Shinawatra remained under arrest after landing in Bangkok from Hong Kong.

Such is the lack of clarity at the club that Sven Goran Eriksson has reportedly been forced to draw up two lists of targets – one including expensive players, the other more modest. It is believed that City are trying to secure players on the kind of loan deal – with payments at a later date – which brought Nery Castillo to Eastlands.

- The Independent (UK)

- Daily Mail (UK)

Election costs... frozen assets... is the pinch being felt?

Thaksin Shinawatra's ability to draw on reserves of money in his native Thailand to fund the development of Manchester City remains unclear following the arrest of his wife in Bangkok.

As the Roma winger Amantino Mancini became the latest player linked to the club yesterday, Shinawtra's wife Pojamarn Shinawatra remained under arrest after landing in Bangkok from Hong Kong.

Such is the lack of clarity at the club that Sven Goran Eriksson has reportedly been forced to draw up two lists of targets – one including expensive players, the other more modest. It is believed that City are trying to secure players on the kind of loan deal – with payments at a later date – which brought Nery Castillo to Eastlands.

- The Independent (UK)

To update S.J,s article from the Independent ( uk ) that just came via email with the added bold section.

It could be that it was lost accidently on pasting

Home > Sport > Football > Premiership

By Ian Herbert

Published: 10 January 2008 15:28

As the Roma winger Amantino Mancini became the latest player linked to the club yesterday, Shinawtra's wife Pojamarn Shinawatra remained under arrest after landing in Bangkok from Hong Kong. A Shinawatra family lawyer said Pojamarn, who left the country in June last year, had decided to return to join the national mourning now under way following the recent death of the elder sister of Thailand's king – and to be close to her children.

But her return is also seen as a move to challenge Thailand's military junta which seems to be trying to prevent her husband's return from exile – despite a marginal win in last month's elections by a party loyal to the billionaire's now-defunct Thai Rak Thai party.

It had been thought that victory for the People Power Party would enable Thaksin to return and then unfreeze his assets. But the situation has been slowed by the PPP's need for support from smaller parties to gain an overall majority.

marshbags

Not having a go at Man City supporters this time, B.J., just posting the update.

Sport and football, is a Yes ( regarding a healthy respectable ) combination.

Thaksin and politics that takes the club into questionable territory is a No combination regarding the same.

While ever he is at the helm, negativity is going to continue and once again ( just like cricket ect. ) involve politics and this is not what sport is meant to represent.

IMHO of course.

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

Pioneering Thai stars not paid by City

Former prime minister and Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has promised to help three national players who have not been paid after signing a dream contract with the English Premier club in November.

Thaksin was astounded when he found out about the players yesterday from Thai reporters who are with the national team in Manchester.

In an historic transfer, Suree Sukha, Teerasil Daengda and Kiatprawut Saiwaeo became the first Thais to sign a deal with an English club in the top-flight division. But they are said to have run into difficulties after not receiving any salary from City. :D

The three are currently with the national team in Manchester for two-weeks training at the Blues' headquarters in preparation for Asia's World Cup qualifiers, which resume next month.

Their plight was raised when Thai reporters accompanying the national team met Thaksin who has been living in exile since being toppled in the bloodless coup 16 months ago.

The ousted premier looked stunned when he heard the story. He said he did not have any information on it but promised to sort it out. :o

Fullback Suree admitted he had signed the City contract without knowing any of the details. :D :D

"Nobody told me about the contents of the contract. Some said the deal would take effect from January 1. Worawi [Makudi, the president of Football Association of Thailand] told me we would each receive around Bt300,000 a month.

"Almost two months after the contract signing, we still haven't been paid. I survive each day with just the training wage from the national team, which is Bt1,000 a day. That only gets me through the day. I wanted to know the details of the contract but I dared not ask the seniors. :D

"I'm in deep trouble as I have a responsibility to take care of my parents in north-east Thailand. I also have to pay instalments on my car, which costs me Bt10,000 a month. Fortunately, my former employer, Chon Buri Football Club, has lent me money until I get paid," Suree said.

Suree's mother Pairee said yesterday life would get very tough for her if she does not receive support from her son as she worked in a small bakery in Sakon Nakhon and earned only Bt8,000 a month.

"When I heard that my son had yet to receive his salary, I was barely able to sleep. He's the breadwinner for our family. I'm very concerned as to how he'll find money for the family's expenses. I don't want him to borrow from anyone.

"Suree's a good child. He doesn't want me to face difficulties. He used to send me Bt10,000 each month. Before he left for England he even gave me Bt15,000. I don't know where he found this money. He might have borrowed it from someone. Without his support, our family would run into trouble," she said.

- The Nation

==================================================

Maybe Suree could make a few extra bob writing a traveler's guidebook,

"How To Survive In England On 15 Pounds A Day"

Edited by sriracha john

So if the deal is supposed to have started on Jan 1st, then check your bank account on Feb 1st. Work a month and then you get paid. I work a month in-hand and that's what the majority of people who i know do. If he's skint he should have asked for an advance on his salary. Not rocket science really but Thaksin will be furious about bad publicity over the cost of a swish meal for him and Mrs T :o

Thai players not getting paid... transfer money not put up... is the honeymoon ending so soon?

Sven still waiting for Thai cash boost

Sven Goran Eriksson's honeymoon with Manchester City could end if Thai owner Thaksin Shinawatra does not make good promises of putting a multi-million transfer budget at his manager's disposal.

According to sources close to the Swede, he is growing impatient. 'Sven is doing a brilliant job at City but knows he can only do so much with what he has at his disposal at the moment,' I was told.

- Daily Mail (UK)

=========================================================

Thaksin 'still holding' Man City transfer cash

The British media reported this morning that Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is eager to get on with buying more players, but Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra still hasn't come across with promised cash for the deals. Thaksin, who flew to Hong Kong last Thursday, had promised to make transfer money available to Eriksson, in order to add players to Man City, which are already the surprise of the Premiership. The British media put the boot into the ex-premier: "Eriksson's honeymoon with Manchester City could end if Thai owner Thaksin does not make good (on) promises of putting a multi-million transfer budget at his manager's disposal," said the story.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125284

Thai players not getting paid... transfer money not put up... is the honeymoon ending so soon?

Sven still waiting for Thai cash boost

Sven Goran Eriksson's honeymoon with Manchester City could end if Thai owner Thaksin Shinawatra does not make good promises of putting a multi-million transfer budget at his manager's disposal.

According to sources close to the Swede, he is growing impatient. 'Sven is doing a brilliant job at City but knows he can only do so much with what he has at his disposal at the moment,' I was told.

- Daily Mail (UK)

=========================================================

Thaksin 'still holding' Man City transfer cash

The British media reported this morning that Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is eager to get on with buying more players, but Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra still hasn't come across with promised cash for the deals. Thaksin, who flew to Hong Kong last Thursday, had promised to make transfer money available to Eriksson, in order to add players to Man City, which are already the surprise of the Premiership. The British media put the boot into the ex-premier: "Eriksson's honeymoon with Manchester City could end if Thai owner Thaksin does not make good (on) promises of putting a multi-million transfer budget at his manager's disposal," said the story.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125284

Not in the slightest. Looking at City forums pretty much everyone is still 100% behind him.

I'm sure Thaksin doesn't handle the payroll personally and as for the 2nd story, it is without any quotes or sources and is fairly typical stuff trotted out by the press during a fairly quiet transfer window.

Not a huge premier league fan so can I ask when the deadline is for these transfers? The end of this month? I've read enough to see that Sven is depending on some big names to come to MCFC if they're going to make a big push, yes?

It's interesting there's no explanation for this hold-up on the money... which seems to be going onto several weeks.

While I wouldn't expect any change just yet in fan sentiment via forums... that sort of thing takes time.... but if, for example, no transfers are done... and he becomes more embroiled in the Thai political landscape and less visible in MC.... then I might expect some grumblings among the devoted.

Edited by sriracha john

The transfer window closes at the end of this month.

Not sure there's any hold up of money to be honest. Very little of any significant nature tends to happen during the January window and most big moves are carried out during the Summer. Any major moves in January usually happen in the last week of the window when players/clubs have had a chance to explore all of their options.

I think Thaksin will become less visible at City and this would appear to be supported by news that City are to appoint an Executive Chairman in the next couple of weeks.

Well, I must say it's all very Dickensian when the Thai lads brought over in Toxin's Thai Inc. takeover plans are not paid a living wage and have to scrimp by on 1,000 B a day. That hardly buys a plate of somtam and katip of sticky rice down the local Thai restaurant, as I can't imagine they're dining on black pudding and mushy peas with their team mates of a night after training.

EEEE-Bai-Gum Mr T, you're tighter than a camel's arse in a sandstorm, when it comes to looking after your pawns, I mean boys, over in sunny Angrit. :o

Not a huge premier league fan so can I ask when the deadline is for these transfers? The end of this month? I've read enough to see that Sven is depending on some big names to come to MCFC if they're going to make a big push, yes?

It's interesting there's no explanation for this hold-up on the money... which seems to be going onto several weeks.

While I wouldn't expect any change just yet in fan sentiment via forums... that sort of thing takes time.... but if, for example, no transfers are done... and he becomes more embroiled in the Thai political landscape and less visible in MC.... then I might expect some grumblings among the devoted.

He is probably waiting for Samak to order the return of his confiscated funds.

So if the deal is supposed to have started on Jan 1st, then check your bank account on Feb 1st. Work a month and then you get paid. I work a month in-hand and that's what the majority of people who i know do. If he's skint he should have asked for an advance on his salary. Not rocket science really but Thaksin will be furious about bad publicity over the cost of a swish meal for him and Mrs T :D

Think the actual amount that they are gettingpaid per month, also suggests how hughly they are rated by the club. They are earning less than a lot of Reserve/Youth team players are getting :o , and certainly no more than a lot of league two players are on.

The sad thing is, that the players themselves hardly seem to have any idea about what they have signes, other than to trust a Thai footbalkl administrator to deal with the contracts. If they had any idea how incompetent those guys are in relation to FIFA regulations, they wouldn't let them anywhere near them.

Exploitation , pure and simple, done also with muay thai boxers and singers in Thailand. Disposable as a Bic lighter they are.

Come on then Tony. Please enlighten me as to how they are being exploited. I really get fed up of this cr4p. Fine, we all know you're a Thaksin hater but lines like that above don't do your arguments any favours.

Every, i say EVERY, sports-person is disposable (just like the majority of working people). Why are there no 44 year old footballers around? Cos they are too old to play and have been dumped or left the sport before they got dumped, because younger and fitter lads are coming through. How many young lads spend years in the academy's and never make the cut? Result, they're tossed out by the club. When any of us outlive our usefulness, we're gone, it's life.

You said earlier, that Thailand musn't be a footballing nation when one of it's national players has to work in a bakery. So, Thaksin has brought some over to the UK to give them a chance. A chance they wouldn't have got given otherwise. They may or may not make the cut but at least they have been given a chance. They'll be getting 300,000 baht per month, who can earn that in Thailand? Not many. And don't retort with "yeah but they haven't been paid yet". Thaksin wouldn't have known that and you can bet your bottom dollar, it's gonna be sorted. Why would he want bad publicity over a few grand?

Well from what I have seen so far the only good publicity about Thaksin comes from Thaksin himself. I seem to recall Thaksin sending Noppadon to his private ‘file a lawsuit for Thaksin window’ at the courts nearly daily for bad news about him he did not like.

I think reality is setting in for Manchester that they are now on the small back burner that is set to simmer or off. If the PPP gets shut down then that will change.

Exploitation , pure and simple, done also with muay thai boxers and singers in Thailand. Disposable as a Bic lighter they are.

Come on then Tony. Please enlighten me as to how they are being exploited. I really get fed up of this cr4p. Fine, we all know you're a Thaksin hater but lines like that above don't do your arguments any favours.

Every, i say EVERY, sports-person is disposable (just like the majority of working people). Why are there no 44 year old footballers around? Cos they are too old to play and have been dumped or left the sport before they got dumped, because younger and fitter lads are coming through. How many young lads spend years in the academy's and never make the cut? Result, they're tossed out by the club. When any of us outlive our usefulness, we're gone, it's life.

You said earlier, that Thailand musn't be a footballing nation when one of it's national players has to work in a bakery. So, Thaksin has brought some over to the UK to give them a chance. A chance they wouldn't have got given otherwise. They may or may not make the cut but at least they have been given a chance. They'll be getting 300,000 baht per month, who can earn that in Thailand? Not many. And don't retort with "yeah but they haven't been paid yet". Thaksin wouldn't have known that and you can bet your bottom dollar, it's gonna be sorted. Why would he want bad publicity over a few grand?

Because although he's one of Thailand's richest men, he's also one of the tightest pricks this country has ever seen. Everyone is disposable to him, even family members are used for financial shenanigans, regardless of the possible consequences. I personally know from a wife's friend who worked in telecoms with him for years and ended up resigning from a highly paid position just because of this very same character and behaviour. Good luck for the 300 000 baht a month and see how long it lasts.

He can come up with any excuse now that it's been exposed but that doesn't change the fact that these guys were on 15 pounds a day while he steps out of the shower every morning and wipes his droopy ass dry with a $500U.S. towel.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Because although he's one of Thailand's richest men, he's also one of the tightest pricks this country has ever seen. Everyone is disposable to him, even family members are used for financial shenanigans, regardless of the possible consequences. I personally know from a wife's friend who worked in telecoms with him for years and ended up resigning from a highly paid position just because of this very same character and behaviour. Good luck for the 300 000 baht a month and see how long it lasts.

He can come up with any excuse now that it's been exposed but that doesn't change the fact that these guys were on 15 pounds a day while he steps out of the shower every morning and wipes his droopy ass dry with a $500U.S. towel.

It just shows how out of touch with reality you are then.

He personally funded a huge party in Manchester city centre when he first bought the club. Apparently over a million £ it cost him. Huge stage, free food and artists flown in from Thailand etc. It was a fab day.

He also put on a free game against the Thai National team. He personally paid for the whole team and staff to fly over from Thailand and free food again for everyone who went.

So your argument is full of holes and utter tosh. Yes, he probably wipes his butt on a $500 towel, which makes it even more ludicrous that he would have deliberately avoided paying a few hundred dollars in wages risking bad publicity. Do you honestly think, that he personally gets involved over looking the wages department to ensure that all the staff's wages have gone in the bank. Next you'll be blaming him for the hot dogs being cold.