Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

To add to the point about the Thai lads getting a visa, (i purposely left out saying Work Permit) we shall see.

I applaud your confidence in the Gov't of the UK, that they have strict guidelines and don't let anyone in who doesn't meet the criteria. However, i am a tad more sceptical, as this country is full of immigrants who don't meet ANY criteria and shouldn't be here. But they are and the Government (by their own admission) haven't got a clue of how many.

Actually, there is a way that these lads could come here quite legally, as Scouse informed us a few months ago. They could come on a student Visa, which allows them to work for upto 20 hours per week. Now, whether training would be considered work, or part of the education i don't know but the 90 minutes playing football is far short of the allowed 20 hours per week. Mix that with a bit of Political clout and anything is possible. Frank didn't get to have billions of baht without being a tad shrewd :o

I don't doubt that they can get visas to go to the UK. As the richest man in Thailand is their sponsor, it shouldn't be too difficult, but if the whole point of them going there is to play football and that requires a work permit, which I understand is based upon a fairly firm set of criteria regarding their world-rankings, etc. that they don't meet... and judging by mrtoad's comments, likely will never meet, then I doubt they will be playing.

If they are not playing, then the house of cards that this publicity stunt is comes tumbling down. Certainly in the interim, Thaksin and his People Power Party get the windfall of the publicity and even after the work permit is eventually rejected, he can still play it in a nationalistic manner, "The big bad UK won't let our terrific Thai players play." Although, given his residence is there currently, I'm sure that racist card will be played by one of his PPP proxies here in Thailand.

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that he can get these players into the UK quite easily, whether as tourists or as part-time students, perhaps there to study footie at the yet-to-be-created Man-City academy for foreign players (? !) , why cannot he just pay them offshore, out of his very-considerable funds, and thus solve the problem of work-permits more simply ?

Or does it suit him better, to be seen to be battling on behalf of Thai footballers' rights & aspirations, and at no cost to himself ?

Whatever, I hope that these poor pawns erm ... players do eventually see their dream come true, for their sakes.

Thaksin is no Abramovich, he has outstanding arrest warrants already and there will be more to come. There's also an issue of a frozen billion pounds in Thai banks, I bet he'd like to get them back and for that he need all the leverage with courts here, which basically means staffing courts with his own people. Won't happen unless he is in the government himself.

Getting people to play without work permit opens up an opportunity for all the other clubs who were refused permits to raise quite a bit of stink.

I don't expect the UK government to set an example of integrity and transparency when dealing with Thaksin anymore than supposedly third world Thai one.

One key point here you are overlooking and that is Thaksin’s ego won’t let him not get his way. He will continue to look for a means to get his way and the law is an invisible line for him. If you remember when Sonthi did a reshuffle and class 10 was send to dead end posts. One of Thaksin’s last orders before he left Thailand was to override Sonthi. This is just as much about ego and getting his way as it is about politics.

I think it is fair to say that everything Thaksin does between now and when the polls close on election day is related to getting back in the PM chair. It does not seem to matter to him he is banned from that, he never had respect for anyone except himself. He will have his puppets pardon him, overturing the high court ruling and step back in. Then after several dozen people suddenly disappear he will pickup where he left off. Then he will quickly need to change the constitution because it has term limits that he is at or near. Then everyone hold on because then it gets messy. Forget about Manchester after that.

Agreed that everything he does is aimed at getting his pals back into power, but persoanlly I feel not to become PM again at least too soon anyway but more to make the charges go away. If his party fails to win he will lose control over his destiny in the courts and this will not sit well with him. I would think he is quite liking playing rich mans fantasy football with real players right now and will end up sitting in Eastlands (thanks Mr. Bojangles) overseing a UEFA cup run of indeterminate length next year after the Thai vote.

Edited by hammered

Yup. I think Thaksin is sitting pretty.

Read my lips, there are exactly TWO ways in which Thaksin / TRT / PPP can stay out of power.

1. The Democrats (or other parties) starting to give a fuc_k about poor people instead of themselves, or

2. Burma style military oppression.

So far they've tried 2, in December they'll try to pretend 1.. And Thaksin's still sitting pretty, and good on him.

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

"1. The Democrats (or other parties) starting to give a fuc_k about poor people instead of themselves, or"

The people up here (who are not necessarily poor, if there ability to manage their affairs has enabled them to keep their land) are going to compare what is said by the TRT/PPP and by the other parties.

But the Democrats (or other parties) have the disadvantage in this.

The TRT/PPP have the advantage when it comes to being believed.

They have a track record up here of having delivered on their promises.

Our little Amphoe hospital with its great big (and still always crowded) new Outpatients building stands right by the Highway to remind everybody that the only time that voting resulted in anything worthwhile for us up here was when the votes went to TRT.

Down in Krung Thep, you may think the Thaksin was awful----and he was to the middle-class in the way that he shoved their snouts from the trough----but, if anything, that makes him even more of a hero.

The Democrats are at a particular disadvantage in the 'believability stakes', and the name of that disadvantage is 'Chuan'.

The simple equation is: Democrat=Chuan=not-even-sympathetic-to-our-problems, never mind empathetic and making some effort to help.

And Chuan certainly couldn't strut his stuff on the world-football stage.

Actually, there is a way that these lads could come here quite legally, as Scouse informed us a few months ago. They could come on a student Visa, which allows them to work for upto 20 hours per week. Now, whether training would be considered work, or part of the education i don't know but the 90 minutes playing football is far short of the allowed 20 hours per week. Mix that with a bit of Political clout and anything is possible. Frank didn't get to have billions of baht without being a tad shrewd :o

I don't doubt that they can get visas to go to the UK. As the richest man in Thailand is their sponsor, it shouldn't be too difficult, but if the whole point of them going there is to play football and that requires a work permit, which I understand is based upon a fairly firm set of criteria regarding their world-rankings, etc. that they don't meet... and judging by mrtoad's comments, likely will never meet, then I doubt they will be playing.

If they are not playing, then the house of cards that this publicity stunt is comes tumbling down. Certainly in the interim, Thaksin and his People Power Party get the windfall of the publicity and even after the work permit is eventually rejected, he can still play it in a nationalistic manner, "The big bad UK won't let our terrific Thai players play." Although, given his residence is there currently, I'm sure that racist card will be played by one of his PPP proxies here in Thailand.

John, i think you missed the part in my post about student visas allow you to work, for upto 20 hours per week. That means 90 minutes for the match and upto 18.5 per week training. Therefore, although it's playing with the rules a tad, I'm saying it's a possibility. I'm not saying they will do it that way but it is a possibility.

No disrespect, but if you think bringing a professional football player to the UK on a student visa in order to allow him to play professional football as his "out-of-the-classroom" employment is playing with the rules "just a tad," then you've been hanging out reading the visa section of TV for too long. :o

All this stuff about bringing a Thai player to the UK is just electioneering. Whether it happens or not or can legally is utterly irrelevent right now. The fact thet Sven will be poncing around in Thailand no doubt with some highly attractive scandinavian blonde in tow while chatting to some Thai footballer who is no way good enough for the EPL and probably never will be and cannot get a work permit is not what will be seen by the majority. They will see Mr. Thaksin putting a Thai player in Man City first team. Nice bit of publicity really even if it is fairly fake. Then again TRT have always held the edge in marketing anything real or fake.

No disrespect, but if you think bringing a professional football player to the UK on a student visa in order to allow him to play professional football as his "out-of-the-classroom" employment is playing with the rules "just a tad," then you've been hanging out reading the visa section of TV for too long. :D

I have to disagree. Me hanging around in the Visa section, is what has saved me and the mrs so much aggravation it's un-true, it has also saved us about £1,500 and i have now got my Irish citizenship.

All that, through the knowledge of our learned friend the Scouser and tips from some of the other guys. All i have done, is to play with the rules set by the government and without hanging around the visa section i would have been totally ignorant too. Time well spent IMO. :o

All this stuff about bringing a Thai player to the UK is just electioneering. Whether it happens or not or can legally is utterly irrelevent right now. The fact thet Sven will be poncing around in Thailand no doubt with some highly attractive scandinavian blonde in tow while chatting to some Thai footballer who is no way good enough for the EPL and probably never will be and cannot get a work permit is not what will be seen by the majority. They will see Mr. Thaksin putting a Thai player in Man City first team. Nice bit of publicity really even if it is fairly fake. Then again TRT have always held the edge in marketing anything real or fake.

I probably agree with what you are saying but what is wrong with that. The issue of electioneering aside, Frank is trying to lift the profile of his Football team in Asia, all of the other teams (well them with any nouse) would be doing the same. Football HAS to get revenue and the more revenue streams you can have, the better. Simple business practices, whether you like or loath Frank, i fail to see how anybody can knock his PR and Marketing strategy.

Edited by mrbojangles

No disrespect, but if you think bringing a professional football player to the UK on a student visa in order to allow him to play professional football as his "out-of-the-classroom" employment is playing with the rules "just a tad," then you've been hanging out reading the visa section of TV for too long. :D

I have to disagree. Me hanging around in the Visa section, is what has saved me and the mrs so much aggravation it's un-true, it has also saved us about £1,500 and i have now got my Irish citizenship.

All that, through the knowledge of our learned friend the Scouser and tips from some of the other guys. All i have done, is to play with the rules set by the government and without hanging around the visa section i would have been totally ignorant too. Time well spent IMO. :o

By all means, I did not intend my comments to be on any type of personal level....especially in regards to you and yours being able to stay in the UK... I apologize if you mistook it as such.

I was just alluding to the situation of professional footballer Suree getting to work as a professional footballer in the UK under the premise that he is some sort of "student" working outside of the classroom to have some spending money. It's even a more blatant misuse of the rules than those employed by some folks to stay in Thailand. Although, this being Thailand, it's not unexpected.... to have it utilized in a place such as the UK would be surprising.

By all means, I did not intend my comments to be on any type of personal level....especially in regards to you and yours being able to stay in the UK... I apologize if you mistook it as such.

I was just alluding to the situation of professional footballer Suree getting to work as a professional footballer in the UK under the premise that he is some sort of "student" working outside of the classroom to have some spending money. It's even a more blatant misuse of the rules than those employed by some folks to stay in Thailand. Although, this being Thailand, it's not unexpected.... to have it utilized in a place such as the UK would be surprising.

No apologies needed SJ, nothing personal taken :D

In the earlier post, i wasn't actually saying that Frank was going to employ this method of visa for Suree, indeed i haven't got a clue what he is going to do. I was responding to the guys who said no way, no how, could he get the lads here legally. What i was trying to say, is that there is at least one alternative way that i am aware of, to do it and who knows, maybe more?

Knowing the fallout from dancing with the devil, I feel sorry for the Thai players Thaksin is after as they may end up getting burned one way or another out of this as they are being blinded by their dreams. SJ makes a good point in post #316.

In the earlier post, i wasn't actually saying that Frank was going to employ this method of visa for Suree, indeed i haven't got a clue what he is going to do. I was responding to the guys who said no way, no how, could he get the lads here legally. What i was trying to say, is that there is at least one alternative way that i am aware of, to do it and who knows, maybe more?

Mr Boj, they can use that route, but they would still be inelligable to play in the football league.

Mr Boj, they can use that route, but they would still be inelligable to play in the football league.

Why's that Toady? A student Visa allows them to work 20 hours per week. I'm no expert but unless the Football League have rules that differ to the Govt's, i don't understand why not.

Edit/ i'm gonna PM Scouse to see if he can give us his proffessional opinion.

Edited by mrbojangles

Yup. I think Thaksin is sitting pretty.

Read my lips, there are exactly TWO ways in which Thaksin / TRT / PPP can stay out of power.

1. The Democrats (or other parties) starting to give a fuc_k about poor people instead of themselves, or

2. Burma style military oppression.

So far they've tried 2, in December they'll try to pretend 1.. And Thaksin's still sitting pretty, and good on him.

What is it with these people who come out with such nonsense that the situation in Burma is like what we have in Thailand? Can't believe anyone who lives in Thailand would come out with a comment like that.

That said, your comment about Thaksin sitting pretty (and that being a good thing) does go a long way to explain your perversion of the facts.

Why's that Toady? A student Visa allows them to work 20 hours per week. I'm no expert but unless the Football League have rules that differ to the Govt's, i don't understand why not.

Edit/ i'm gonna PM Scouse to see if he can give us his proffessional opinion.

I think there are implicit rules regarding international player registration etc, and I very much doubt that a student visa would be approved either, as there has been a little bit more of a clamp down on issuing these in the last 2 or 3 years, as people were clearly taking the piss. I.e. not studying at all, and just working. Who knows in the end? It's an absolute sham anyway, and has he signed him anyway, can't seem to find anything on the football pages of any note (The Bangcock post is certainly not a paper I'd trust).

Hopefully the scouser will clarify.

I am trying to see things from the point of view of Thaksin(as was).

That is not easy, as my eyes see the world from totally different perspectives, because:

(1) I am not Chinese, nor Thai, nor ambitious, nor a businessman,

(2) I haven't achieved a political peak and been forced to step down from it, and

(3) I am not mega-rich.

However, I do have one thing in common with Thaksin(as was), and that is that I have had to find a way to deal with a potentially-shattering change to my circumstances.

This makes me suspect that buying Manchester City and re-inventing himself (with the aid of the fans) as 'Frank' is a form of 'bereavement therapy'. And one that is working well, because it is bringing him a lot of fun.

Stirring up those old sparring partners by agitating them about a possible comeback?

Great fun, especially as 'Frank' will be quite relaxed about it. "Bin dere. Dun dat. Still god de T-shirt. Cud go back, if dat's how de cookie crumbles, but no swead either way".

The cheeky chappy could be having a few inner grins at a lot of peoples' expense.

I am trying to see things from the point of view of Thaksin(as was).

That is not easy, as my eyes see the world from totally different perspectives, because:

(1) I am not Chinese, nor Thai, nor ambitious, nor a businessman,

(2) I haven't achieved a political peak and been forced to step down from it, and

(3) I am not mega-rich.

However, I do have one thing in common with Thaksin(as was), and that is that I have had to find a way to deal with a potentially-shattering change to my circumstances.

This makes me suspect that buying Manchester City and re-inventing himself (with the aid of the fans) as 'Frank' is a form of 'bereavement therapy'. And one that is working well, because it is bringing him a lot of fun.

Stirring up those old sparring partners by agitating them about a possible comeback?

Great fun, especially as 'Frank' will be quite relaxed about it. "Bin dere. Dun dat. Still god de T-shirt. Cud go back, if dat's how de cookie crumbles, but no swead either way".

The cheeky chappy could be having a few inner grins at a lot of peoples' expense.

Martin,

I think you have firmly hit the nail on the head. He must be making a lot of the current Buffons in government choke on their Blue Label Whiskey every Saturday night, with the TV coverage and of course the current PR stunts going on at present using Man City. Like him or loathe him, you have to admire some aspects of the game he's playing with the Junta.

Edited by mrtoad

CITY LURED BY FAR EASTERN PROMISE

Posted 08/11/07

Source: Soccer 365

Manager Sven-Goran Eriksson will travel to the Far East next week as Manchester City tie up major sponsorship deals but he will not be bringing back Thai players for the club's first team.

Suggestions the City boss is being pressured into signing players from Thailand -home of new club owner Thaksin Shinawatra - have been dismissed by the club.

"There is no chance of players from Thailand playing for our first team, certainly not in the conceivable future," said a City spokesman.

Eriksson will visit Bangkok and Shanghai, along with City's China international Sun Jihai, as the club complete the signings of four new sponsorship and commercial deals.

The club can expect to make between £5million and £10million from the agreements, with the bulk of the interest coming from China and not Shinawatra's homeland.

"We will be making four announcements next week, simultaneously in Bangkok, Shanghai and Manchester, regarding new partnership deals," added the club spokesman.

"There is immense interest in English football in the Far East, as well as City, and we would be aiming to crack the Far East, for want of a better word.

"These deals have come about because of where we are in the Premier League table, they are not things that would have happened in our position last season."

City will be setting up academies in the Far East and Eriksson will discuss bringing Thai and Chinese players to Eastlands for trials.

Thailand right-back Suree Sukha could be one of the first to travel to the UK.

But City point out they had several Thai youngsters at their Carrington training ground in pre-season, and all have returned home because they were not considered good enough.

Slight contradiction here, as Suree was one of those so called youngsters who went over in the Summer. What we mnay see is the Thai players being signed, and then loaned out to their new partner club in China. Either way, the likelyhood of any of these players playing in the EPL in the near future is laughable. It just shows, how out of touch the Nation and Bangkok Post are when it comes to football knowledge.

And this from Skysports:-

City trial Chinese trio

Manchester City have agreed to take three young Chinese players on trial.

The trio - striker Gao Lin, goalkeeper Wang Da Lei, and midfielder Mao Jianqing - come from recently announced partner club Shanghai Shen Hua.

City have invited the three youngsters to their Carrington training ground as they examine their abilities.

Sven Goran Eriksson, City's manager, is looking forward to welcoming the three youngsters after being tipped off about their abilities by Shen Hua coach Wu Jinqui.

"Shen Hua's coach has told me good things about these young men and I look forward to seeing them at Carrington," Eriksson told City's official website.

"They will train with all the senior players and it will be a good test of their abilities."

Wu Jinqui has given his endorsement to the three players as they await their chance at City.

"All three players are young, fresh and talented," said Wu Jinqui.

"They have a great attitude to their football and are being given a wonderful opportunity to impress at Manchester City."

The Blues have also announced partnership deals with FC Moscow and South Africa side Thanda Royal Zulu.

Edited by mrbojangles

Big clubs like Man U and Liverpool stopped coming to Thailand because high profile here doesn't translate into revenue. He might try China or Malaysia and even hit gold in Japan, but he won't make any money off Thais. They don't buy official merchandise as a matter of principle.

Mr. BoJ. asked for my opinion on whether Thai players would be able to legally work/play football for an EPL club.

First off, I don't know what the EPL rules are, so can only comment on the immigration regulations. In principle, there is nothing preventing someone in the UK as a student working for up to 20 hours per week and full time during college holidays. However, they would otherwise need to be a genuine student; i.e. be able to demonstrate that they fully intend to follow their studies in the UK, and that they can pay for their course, maintenance and accommodation without having to work. Basically, if the visa officer at the British embassy in Bangkok felt that the proposed studies were a cover for getting the bloke in to play football, the visa would in all likelihood be refused.

Scouse.

Big clubs like Man U and Liverpool stopped coming to Thailand because high profile here doesn't translate into revenue. He might try China or Malaysia and even hit gold in Japan, but he won't make any money off Thais. They don't buy official merchandise as a matter of principle.

Marketing and revenue streams is far bigger than people just buying official club merchandise. I.E. if a company feels that an audience is growing to watch a certain programme, in this instance Man City football matches, then they want to be associated with that club in sponsorship etc. Coca Cola and Budweiser for instance, paid fortunes to FIFA to be official sponsors of the World Cup. Apparently Singha and a mobile phone company in China have already signed up to deals worth between £10m and £20m (depending which article you read).

I also have to disagree a tad with the statement about Thai's not buying "official" merchandise. The majority can't because they are too expensive but they would love to own one (the one's i know anyway). Maybe it's viewed as being abit Hi-So to own one, i don't know.

The Home Office has particular criteria that apply to non-EU footballers, to do with the FIFA ranking of the country and the % of international games that a player has been selected for over the last 12 or 24 months (can't remember exactly). It was reported back in August that Suree was denied a work permit back in August because he didn't meet the criteria.

What influence has been brought to bear to change that? I think there is a panel that includes football people who are called in to make an assessment and would be reconvened for an appeal. If you know who's on the panel, they might be persuaded to help, I suppose.

I also have to disagree a tad with the statement about Thai's not buying "official" merchandise. The majority can't because they are too expensive but they would love to own one (the one's i know anyway). Maybe it's viewed as being abit Hi-So to own one, i don't know.

Some Thais I know who can afford the official gear won't buy it here. They tell me that what is sold as official here, is also manufactued here (or Indonesia), and is of inferior quality compared to what is sold in Europe.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

Eriksson's Thai visit draws more guards than fans

BANGKOK - Manchester City coach Sven-Goran Eriksson arrived in Bangkok on Thursday to raise the team's profile in Asia, but there were fewer club fans to greet him than security guards and supporters of owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

Eriksson was whisked from the arrival hall to a luxury German sedan by at least two dozen airport guards and security men who had guarded Thaksin until he was ousted as prime minister in a bloodless coup last year.

About 50 cameramen and photographers jostled to film him.

A few supporters wearing the sky blue shirts of the English Premier League club were outnumbered by a handful of hardcore Thaksin fans wearing T-shirts bearing his picture.

The shirts bore the slogan "We love Thaksin, await his return". He has lived in exile in London since his overthrow.

Eriksson, in a blue shirt and a blue-and-yellow tie bearing a Thai royal emblem, said nothing to waiting reporters.

On Friday, he is due to sign at least one Thai international player for Manchester City. Suree Sukha, a 25-year-old attacking fullback who earns just $300 a week in the domestic league, would the first Thai to join a top-flight European club.

Along with fellow Thais Kiatprawut Saiwaeo and Teerasil Dangda, Suree was invited for trials at City by Thaksin after he bought the club in July for 81 million pounds ($166.5 million).

Thaksin's critics have dismissed the City takeover and the club's interest in Thai players as publicity stunts aimed at helping the billionaire tycoon return to politics.

Thaksin's son, Panthongthae, who is fighting tax fraud charges, flew into Bangkok with Eriksson.

- Reuters

================================================

The son arrived just in time to see a good chunk of the family's fortune money taken away:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1653029

Additionally, it wouldn't be a Thaksin-esque event without controversy:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1652998