Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

From Skysports:-

City Thai down trio

Teerasil, Suree and Kiatprawut sign after trial

Manchester City have secured the signatures of three Thai internationals.

Teerasil Daengda, Suree Sukha and Kiatprawut Saiwaeo have all penned deals at Eastlands after impressing Sven Goran Eriksson while on trial.

Defenders Suree and Kiatprawut both featured in Thailand's Asian Cup campaign earlier this summer, while teenage striker Teerasil is highly-regarded.

The signings follow owner Thaksin Shinawatra's keenness for Thai players to be given a chance to prove themselves at Premier League level.

Perth and Grasshoppers have reportedly expressed an interest in loaning the players.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big clubs like Man U and Liverpool stopped coming to Thailand because high profile here doesn't translate into revenue. He might try China or Malaysia and even hit gold in Japan, but he won't make any money off Thais. They don't buy official merchandise as a matter of principle.

Marketing and revenue streams is far bigger than people just buying official club merchandise. I.E. if a company feels that an audience is growing to watch a certain programme, in this instance Man City football matches, then they want to be associated with that club in sponsorship etc. Coca Cola and Budweiser for instance, paid fortunes to FIFA to be official sponsors of the World Cup. Apparently Singha and a mobile phone company in China have already signed up to deals worth between £10m and £20m (depending which article you read).

I also have to disagree a tad with the statement about Thai's not buying "official" merchandise. The majority can't because they are too expensive but they would love to own one (the one's i know anyway). Maybe it's viewed as being abit Hi-So to own one, i don't know.

Man C hasn't got too many sponsorship deals on offer and Thai companies are generally too small to advertise on UK team t-shirts. Chang, Everton's sponsor, is a lot bigger than Singha, for example. I'm sure they'll get better business in China where lots of companies are ready to go global. I don't think Singha is in that category yet, and I think it will never be.

Official merchandise is a tough sell here, just like genuine Windows CD. If people want to wear Man C shirt they can get one at the local market. Very few love the club enough to pay three times more so that Thaksin can get even richer. On the contrary, he is expected to give out these shirts for free to every Thai supporter.

Still not word on securing these work permits. The main stumbling block was that Thailand needs to be above 75th place on official FIFA rankings list.

And it looks like they will be playing for Perth and Grasshoppers (whatever they are) instead. Be prepared for a lot more useless publicity stunts like that, Bojangles, they do nothing to your team.

Be prepared for a lot more useless publicity stunts like that, Bojangles, they do nothing to your team.

Yeah i know that Plus, but to be honest i don't really care. We have had the best start to a season in my living memory and it's all down to Thaksin's money and Sven. You won't find many City fans grumbling at the moment. :o

From Skysports:-

Teerasil Daengda, Suree Sukha and Kiatprawut Saiwaeo have all penned deals at Eastlands after impressing Sven Goran Eriksson while on trial.

Funny, I thought any deals had been signed here, in Bangkok, during Svem's visit ?

Good luck to the players, wherever they end up playing, hope this is a real chance to improve their lives.

And meanwhile in the real world, Man City is doing brilliantly, Thaksin has done very well, while the junta make fools of themselves AND the country on a daily basis.

On the run from the courts, banned from Thai politics for trying to rig an election, and a fortune frozen in his bank-accounts ... well I suppose some people might consider that to be doing well, but I don't.

And meanwhile in the real world, Man City is doing brilliantly, Thaksin has done very well, while the junta make fools of themselves AND the country on a daily basis.

On the run from the courts, banned from Thai politics for trying to rig an election, and a fortune frozen in his bank-accounts ... well I suppose some people might consider that to be doing well, but I don't.

"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster-----

And treat those two Imposters just the same.....

You'll be a man, my son."

'If...', by Rudyard Kipling.

Thaksin has just given 10,352,681,350.71 Thai Baht [with an unknown portion of that from taxpayers' pockets] to Sven to buy what he wants...

Thaksin will give Sven £150m and say: Buy the best

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is to be handed more than £150million with explicit instructions from owner Thaksin Shinawatra to make his club the best in Europe.

While Eriksson's England successor, Steve McClaren, battles for his international future, the Swede is embarking on what could be the most successful period of a 27-year managerial career that has included title victories in Sweden, Portugal and Italy.

The bulk of the spending will take place next summer and the club believe that no player will be considered out of their price range.

That could even lead to spectacular bids for the likes of Barcelona's South American pair Leo Messi and Ronaldinho, or Brazilian playmaker Kaka, of AC Milan, although nailing down such big names is another matter.

- Evening Standard (UK)

Thaksin will give Sven £150m and say: Buy the best

Last updated at 22:03pm on 17th November 2007

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is to be handed more than £150million with explicit instructions from owner Thaksin Shinawatra to make his club the best in Europe.

The Mail

The more the Little Emperor spends on his team, the more he proves himself that he stashed way more abroad than he ever legally declared. :o There's no way he can prove all this money comes from football revenues already in such a short time.

Similar behaviour often gets local criminals or drug dealers pinched by flashing too much following a successful string of criminal acts. :D A common idea amongst criminals is to "Spend while you can!".

Edited by Tony Clifton

There's no way he can prove all this money comes from football revenues already in such a short time.

In the real world it works a little different; Who is saying the revenue comes from football revenues? : Nobody. Hello, he owned some of the biggest companies in Thailand: AIS / Shin, plus Thai Air Asia, plus loads of smaller companies, real estate, etc.. Or do you suppose that was a hardship undertaking. :D

Even more, to this date Thaksin hasn;t even been ACCUSED (let alone proven) to have taken tax payers money. What is IS accused of, is taking advantage of his position to buy stuff / do business dealings from the advantaged position of also being in government. And in my opinion he's most likely guilty of that, but that's my opinion, not an *INDEPENDENT AND FAIR* court verdict.

Incidentally, had a look yet at all the toys & dealings done by the military since they're in goverment?? :o

News at 11.

Edited by ShakaIsuzu

The more the Little Emperor spends on his team, the more he proves himself that he stashed way more abroad than he ever legally declared.

You have no idea how much he declared, or how much he made very legally from AIS/Shin, Air Asia, real estate, etc.

It's just empty old boys bar stool talk unless you come up with some sources.

That 10,352,681,350.71 Thai Baht [with an unknown portion of that from taxpayers' pockets] would be a nice down-payment on the 12 billion baht he owes in back taxes....

Revenue starts seizing assets of Thaksin kids

Siblings failed to pay tax, fines by deadline

The Revenue Department has begun the process of seizing the assets of the Shinawatra siblings after they failed to pay back taxes and fines totaling 12 billion baht by the imposed deadline. Sanit Rangnoi, the Department's Director-General, has asked the Bank of Thailand, commercial banks and the Land Department to list the assets of Panthongtae and Pinthongta Shinawatra and submit them to the department. Mr Sanit said the Department is looking for assets that have not been seized by the Assets Scrutiny Committee (ASC) or been put up as collateral or mortgaged. The Department is authorised to proceed with asset seizure without coordinating with the ASC, he said. The siblings were accused by the ASC of evading tax on the capital gains they made from the share transactions related to Shin Corp's takeover by Singapore's Temasek Holdings. A source in the Department said yesterday that authorities have located some assets of the siblings which can be confiscated to settle the back taxes and fines. However, the department is required by law to ask agencies concerned, which include the Central Bank and the Land Department, to be sure that the assets have not been put up as collateral or mortgaged.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16Nov2007_news04.php

=============================================================

and STILL they get referred to as "kids".... whereas Panthongtae is soon to be 29 in 2 weeks and Pinthongta is 26. Perhaps when they are in their mid-40's, the media will drop the "kids" moniker.

if he doesn't pay it... the 12 billion is coming out of the taxpayers pocket

Edited by sriracha john

That 10,352,681,350.71 Thai Baht [with an unknown portion of that from taxpayers' pockets] would be a nice down-payment on the 12 billion baht he owes in back taxes....

Theyv'e already seized about £1Billion from him (circa 70 Billion baht) so that should cover it with a lot left over.

SJ, are you not getting tired of your personal vendetta and witch hunt against Frank? Is that comment quoted above in red an official quote, if so where is the source? Or is it your personal opinion?

Thaksin doesn't even recognize the military junta.. And he's going to give them money? I don't think so. So they can buy more aircraft carriers or increase military spending even more??

Also loads of people never really understood that there simply is NO tax on selling his SHin stock to Temasek. In the end what Sonthi's band ended with was "Yeah.., well.., but..., he's so rich, he SHOULD pay something!" . Because there completely was no law or regulation to do so.

Edited by ShakaIsuzu

Theyv'e already seized about £1Billion from him (circa 70 Billion baht) so that should cover it with a lot left over.

They've not seized a billion pounds, only frozen it. They will, however, seize 12 billion baht (which must come from a different pile than the frozen accounts as per the news reports in the other thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1653029 and subsequent posts)

for payment of the back taxes.

SJ, are you not getting tired of your personal vendetta and witch hunt against Frank?

Seeking justice can be a long road sometimes... my "personal vendetta", as you put it, against this despot pales in comparison to the length of time I spent "witch hunting" the other despot, Marcos.

Is that comment quoted above in red an official quote, if so where is the source? Or is it your personal opinion?

It's undetermined at this point just how much of the wealth Thaksin accumulated during his six years as a PM is attributable to absconding with funds in one manner or another from the taxpayers. For a starter, one might begin with the Thaksin-government tax breaks given to AIS, Shin Satellite, and Thai AirAsia, that diverted funds that would have ordinarily gone into the Treasury.

They've not seized a billion pounds, only frozen it. They will, however, seize 12 billion baht (which must come from a different pile than the frozen accounts as per the news reports in the other thread:

Seized, Frozen, either way, same, same. Thaksin can't spend any of it.

It's undetermined at this point just how much of the wealth Thaksin accumulated during his six years as a PM is attributable to absconding with funds in one manner or another from the taxpayers. For a starter, one might begin with the Thaksin-government tax breaks given to AIS, Shin Satellite, and Thai AirAsia, that diverted funds that would have ordinarily gone into the Treasury.

So it is your personal opinion and your statement "if he doesn't pay it... the 12 billion is coming out of the taxpayers pocket" isn't from an official source?

Edited by mrbojangles

Seized, Frozen, either way, same, same. Thaksin can't spend any of it.

I would proffer that there is a huge difference between seized and frozen... as there is the possibility of having funds that are frozen, unfrozen, and thus returned... whereas once it's been seized for payment of back taxes, it's gone for good.

So it is your personal opinion and your statement "if he doesn't pay it... the 12 billion is coming out of the taxpayers pocket" isn't from an official source?

It's two different statements... that one you asked about earlier was different and answered with the above quote. The second one you're asking now is answerable by the logic that if he owes 12 billion baht in taxes and doesn't pay it, then the Treasury (AKA taxpayers) don't have the 12 billion baht that it is entitled to... and thus the taxpayers are deprived of its use... hence "out of the taxpayer's pocket."

Edited by sriracha john

I have to agree Thaksin is just throwing way too much money around and is way off his official claims. It does strongly suggest this is dirty money. If he is ever pressed as to where it is coming from and to let others see the books, I suspect the same level of progress and forthcoming information the Thai government is having in their game of connect the dots.

I agree with that and would extend it to most players in team sports. What separates these players are they being used as pawns in a political game with far-reaching consequences for an entire nation and thus is quite different than the typical pawn/king relationship of other players/owners.

Yes, they maybe being used as political pawns but i'm pretty sure they are well aware of that and quite frankly don't give a sh1t.

It would seem Suree is completely oblivious as to his role in this political stunt.... or at least his words indicate that he is.

Again, I don't wish to knock him personally as a player, but he's being totally toyed with as a political pawn and, apparently, he isn't aware of it in the least......

City signing not a Thai political ploy, Suree says

BANGKOK - New Manchester City signing Suree Sukha insists he was recruited by the English team for his ability and not for the political gain of the club's controversial owner.

Suree said City's chairman, ousted former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, had not persuaded manager Sven-Goran Eriksson to make the signing, which took place in Bangkok amid huge fanfare just weeks before a Thai general election. *that's almost unparalleled naivety*

"I believe in myself, I believe I can make it, this doesn't have anything to do with politics," Suree told Reuters, fighting off hoards of excited autograph hunters after Thailand's 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over Yemen on Sunday.

"It's great that Thai players have this chance. I want to do a good job at City.

"Thaksin is the owner, and he says he wants to improve Thai football -- there's nothing wrong with that."

Full back Suree, centre half Kiatprawut Saiwaeo and striker Teerasil Dangda agreed three-year contracts with City during a glitzy signing ceremony that included a video address by the exiled Thaksin, who took a thinly-veiled swipe at the generals who ousted him in a coup last year.

Thai National Team coach Charnwit Polcheewin said the signings appeared to be a ploy to win support for Thaksin's proxies, but insisted the three Thais, particularly Suree, should not be underestimated.

- Reuters

I agree with that and would extend it to most players in team sports. What separates these players are they being used as pawns in a political game with far-reaching consequences for an entire nation and thus is quite different than the typical pawn/king relationship of other players/owners.

Yes, they maybe being used as political pawns but i'm pretty sure they are well aware of that and quite frankly don't give a sh1t.

It would seem Suree is completely oblivious as to his role in this political stunt.... or at least his words indicate that he is.

Again, I don't wish to knock him personally as a player, but he's being totally toyed with as a political pawn and, apparently, he isn't aware of it in the least......

BANGKOK - New Manchester City signing Suree Sukha insists he was recruited by the English team for his ability and not for the political gain of the club's controversial owner.

Suree said City's chairman, ousted former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, had not persuaded manager Sven-Goran Eriksson to make the signing, which took place in Bangkok amid huge fanfare just weeks before a Thai general election. *that's almost unparalleled naivety*

"I believe in myself, I believe I can make it, this doesn't have anything to do with politics," Suree told Reuters, fighting off hoards of excited autograph hunters after Thailand's 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over Yemen on Sunday.

"It's great that Thai players have this chance. I want to do a good job at City.

"Thaksin is the owner, and he says he wants to improve Thai football -- there's nothing wrong with that."

Full back Suree, centre half Kiatprawut Saiwaeo and striker Teerasil Dangda agreed three-year contracts with City during a glitzy signing ceremony that included a video address by the exiled Thaksin, who took a thinly-veiled swipe at the generals who ousted him in a coup last year.

Thai National Team coach Charnwit Polcheewin said the signings appeared to be a ploy to win support for Thaksin's proxies, but insisted the three Thais, particularly Suree, should not be underestimated.

- Reuters

Laughable.

I wonder how many games the three will actually play for City, and why hardly any mention of these signings anywhere other than in the Thai media? I am assuming that if Suree does get his WP, then he will be iluminating the lights of the Pontins league and the other two are heading of to either Switzerland or Australia to play for Perth Glory of Grasshopers as they have about as much chance of getting a WP, as me playing for Man City.

- Reuters

Laughable.

I wonder how many games the three will actually play for City, and why hardly any mention of these signings anywhere other than in the Thai media? I am assuming that if Suree does get his WP, then he will be iluminating the lights of the Pontins league and the other two are heading of to either Switzerland or Australia to play for Perth Glory of Grasshopers as they have about as much chance of getting a WP, as me playing for Man City.

The National team coach seems to recognize what it is all about anyway.

Be prepared for a lot more useless publicity stunts like that, Bojangles, they do nothing to your team.

Yeah i know that Plus, but to be honest i don't really care. We have had the best start to a season in my living memory and it's all down to Thaksin's money and Sven. You won't find many City fans grumbling at the moment. :o

Sure thing.

Back in 2004 Thaksin was God here, too.

Somewhere at the beginning of this thread I said: enjoy it while it lasts.

So far the man screwed up everything he touched, from business to politics, maybe Man City will be an exception, something to spend his retirement days on, but most likely it's just a sacrifice to his own greed and his greed will eventually destroy it like everything else that came before.

>>>>

That is another perspective on his success, btw. He's got nothing to show for his life - he sold his business but profits are frozen, people spit on his pictures, he was kicked out in a coup and faces prosecution, and in a big family empire his children are worthless <deleted> with nothing to contribute.

The only thing left is sweet memories of the poor folks who took him for real, but there's something Nabokov's in them, something pedophile like.

It's two different statements... that one you asked about earlier was different and answered with the above quote. The second one you're asking now is answerable by the logic that if he owes 12 billion baht in taxes and doesn't pay it, then the Treasury (AKA taxpayers) don't have the 12 billion baht that it is entitled to... and thus the taxpayers are deprived of its use... hence "out of the taxpayer's pocket."

I can't agree with your logic SJ and by the looks of it, neither do the junta, or that view would have made headlines and thus you would have been able to provide an official source. My logic says that if he or his kids truly owe that amount (and this has yet to be proven) then they WILL "seize" it from the money they have already "frozen". So i can't see how the tax payers would get deprived.

The thing i'm struggling with here, is that it looks like i'm trying to defend Frank but in reality i'm not a huge supporter of him "politically" either. However, i will try and defend someone who hasn't been found guilty of anything yet. We should all wait and see what the outcome is if/when he goes to court. IMO of course :o

I can't agree with your logic SJ and by the looks of it, neither do the junta, or that view would have made headlines and thus you would have been able to provide an official source. My logic says that if he or his kids truly owe that amount (and this has yet to be proven) then they WILL "seize" it from the money they have already "frozen". So i can't see how the tax payers would get deprived.

The thing i'm struggling with here, is that it looks like i'm trying to defend Frank but in reality i'm not a huge supporter of him "politically" either. However, i will try and defend someone who hasn't been found guilty of anything yet. We should all wait and see what the outcome is if/when he goes to court. IMO of course :o

With all due respect, a good read of the other thread is necessary....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1654692

The "adult offspring", as they are certainly no kids, of Thaksin DO "truly owe that amount".... it HAS been proven... it's been a Revenue Department finding and it is completely separate from the funds that the Assets Examination Committee have frozen. As those funds are frozen, they can not be touched...even to be moved over to another part of the government in order to pay for back taxes, which is why that 12 billion needs to come from a different pile that I alluded to earlier. It's 12 billion that is due to the Treasury, from whence the general population receives its benefits.

Anyone, whether or not it's Thaksin, that is a tax cheat reduces the amount of money a Treasury should have to spend on the population. It should be easy to see the logic that that shortfall can easily be seen as coming out of other peoples' pockets... namely taxpayers.

Anyone, whether or not it's Thaksin, that is a tax cheat reduces the amount of money a Treasury should have to spend on the population. It should be easy to see the logic that that shortfall can easily be seen as coming out of other peoples' pockets... namely taxpayers.

OK then SJ, we won't speculate, let's see what happens. If they avoid paying it, you are right and it will come out of the Tax payers pockets. If they do pay it, the Tax payers don't have to cough up and this conversation is null and void. :o

- Reuters

Laughable.

I don't know how many (if any) games they will play for City, Toady. How many did the likes of Forlan and many other failed signings, play for United? Nobody can second guess that.

But what i do know, is the lads will benefit immensley from training at this level and hopefully it will lead to the Thai national team getting better. I honestly don't know what is wrong with that strategy and why so many people are opposed to it. Thaksin is Thai, it's his money and if he wants to use it to better the national team, i don't see the problem.

I don't think anyone sees the problem for Suree or Thai national team. I think the impact will be minimum, btw, they have far bigger issues to address.

Thailand had players at Everton before, nothing good came out of it.

What would playing for Premier League clubs achieve anyway? At best it would be viewed as a way to make personal fortunes and I don't think people would start going to the games to see people trying their best to leave the club at all costs?

Thailand had players at Everton before, nothing good came out of it.

Do you know who they where? I don't remember any, i only know of Chinese going to Everton.

What would playing for Premier League clubs achieve anyway?

That's a no brainer. It's an undisputed fact that the Premier League is one of (if not THE) best league's in the world. Therefore if they train day in, day out with some of the world's most elite footballers, their knowledge and skill will rub off.