Anyone recently renewed their 5 year license?

I did my driving video / test thing online. Do you still have to go to immigration and get a residents certificate and if so do I need to go to transport office first and get a letter to give to immigration or can I go straight to immigration? last time was the greatest time wasting exercise I ever encountered. I got an online test completion QR code and certificate, wife seems to think that will be enough to take to IO.

Mine is due 17th this month I assume it can be done sometime after it is due? I thought up to a year?

Any help appreciated

Just going through the process myself.

I was told I needed to download a copy of my TM30 for proof of address, take it to immigration, fill in form of course then told to come back in 1 week for their proof of address letter (free).

A medical certificate is also required. (100 baht at local medical centre, absolutely no testing whatsoever).

Before you go you must watch a 1 hour online video (as you say you've already done), answer 4 questions correctly (easy) and take the QR code with you to the DL centre.

There I think you have do do the usual reaction tests I'm told.

I shall be going on Friday the day after my birthday in the hope I get 6 years licence. If it's anything different I'll report back.

This is Samui office, your office requirements may of course be different.

• Like 1

Here you re all office are different. Did you have to go to transport first, to get a letter to give immigration to get the residents letter? Usually 3 trips.....transport office get a letter for immigration requesting residents letter, trip to immigration to get said resident letter and then back to transport again. Both about 15km away from each other in my case so a real pain in the a$$ just so some paper can be pushed around

• Thumbs Up 2

No, I first went to immigration same as 6 years ago (then they accepted my word for my address and 'sold' me the letter for 500 baht), this time they said I needed a copy of my TM30. Not knowing how to do this I went next door to a shop where they can do everything for you (photocopying, take photos etc) and for 100 baht somehow they downloaded and printed a copy of my TM30 for me as I knew my username and password. Went straight back to immigration, completed a form and together with copy of passport handed it in, given a slip with a number on and told to come back in 7 days to collect. Not been to the transport office yet, got that joy to come on Friday!

As stated, difference office, different requirements.  Also, this year, did the online vid, and 2 different Amphur DLTs in same province, 1 want 'resident letter', even though I have yellow book ????, the other not requiring, so used that office. 

18 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Here you re all office are different. Did you have to go to transport first, to get a letter to give immigration to get the residents letter? Usually 3 trips.....transport office get a letter for immigration requesting residents letter, trip to immigration to get said resident letter and then back to transport again. Both about 15km away from each other in my case so a real pain in the a$$ just so some paper can be pushed around

do you have a yellow book? If so many Land Transport Offices will accept that as proof of address, meaning no need to go to Immigration at all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

How many days after your birthday is it ok to complete all of this and still have a valid license the whole waiting time?

For me, birthday was Dec 23, DL expired Dec 31, renewed Jan 4th.  No issues renewing, even though DL expired.

I believe the DL is good till end of your birthday month.  Expiration date is on DL.

Always best to call or pop into you local DLT and simply ask.

55 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

How many days after your birthday is it ok to complete all of this and still have a valid license the whole waiting time?

Legally your license is invalid for use once it expires. That's what expiry means. This was explained quite clearly when the moratorium on issuing licenses during the Covid era came to an end.

However, once your new license is issued, you'll find that your 'right to drive' runs contiguously from the day that your original full license was issued way back when, so it's a bit of a grey area.

If you want to play super safe have someone drive you to the DLT centre.

This won't prevent you from getting a 'six year' license of course. That's why we all do it that way.

19 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Where are you? This used to be the way in Hat Yai, so I rode there to get the letter and they had changed the procedure, I didn’t renew my license because of Covid and the non-Thai online application then and then when I moved to Khon Kaen, immigration wanted a letter from DLT - then when I went back to do my car one, they dropped the procedure of requesting letter from DLT. 

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

For me, birthday was Dec 23, DL expired Dec 31, renewed Jan 4th.  No issues renewing, even though DL expired.

I believe the DL is good till end of your birthday month.  Expiration date is on DL.

Always best to call or pop into you local DLT and simply ask.

Wife rang DLT today and they told her its the same procedure to renew, not requiring any other tests etc for up to one year after your expiry date. But of course the license itself will have expired and I assume driving illegally.

Not that it seems to matter here. I remember someone in the village bought a new car, had it insured etc and to this day they still do not have a drivers license. My wife at the time checked with our insurance company and they said if you have insured for anyone driving even unlicensed drivers are insured. At the time I believe the fine for driving without a license was 200 baht

I just did mine two weeks ago.

Went to CW to get a certificate of residence. Handed over the standard paperwork and paid 200 baht. This gets posted to you and I received it about ten days later.

The same day I went to Nong Chok to make an appointment for my renewal, which was four weeks later.

So in the meantime I got a medical certificate and completed the online tutorial.

Went back on day of appointed test, Submitted all paperwork and did the colour blind tests etc.,

All done within an hour and cost 505 baht. No drama.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Where are you? This used to be the way in Hat Yai, so I rode there to get the letter and they had changed the procedure, I didn’t renew my license because of Covid and the non-Thai online application then and then when I moved to Khon Kaen, immigration wanted a letter from DLT - then when I went back to do my car one, they dropped the procedure of requesting letter from DLT. 

I am actually in Khon Kaen. Wife rang today said can go straight to IO with a copy of your online test and get the residents letter. Always perplexed me, I did my 90 day (address) report the other day. I can't see why that can't be used as it will always be under 3 months old. You can use a residents letter for up to 6 months. Not that anything is usually logical in Thailand

23 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Just going through the process myself.

I was told I needed to download a copy of my TM30 for proof of address, take it to immigration, fill in form of course then told to come back in 1 week for their proof of address letter (free).

A medical certificate is also required. (100 baht at local medical centre, absolutely no testing whatsoever).

Before you go you must watch a 1 hour online video (as you say you've already done), answer 4 questions correctly (easy) and take the QR code with you to the DL centre.

There I think you have do do the usual reaction tests I'm told.

I shall be going on Friday the day after my birthday in the hope I get 6 years licence. If it's anything different I'll report back.

This is Samui office, your office requirements may of course be different.

In Surin province it was even easier, medical cert. license and passport. had to watch the one hour video but they let my wife watch it for me because I had to go back home to get my yellow book. It was all done at the transport office because the DL center was upstairs.....no problem.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

In Surin province it was even easier, medical cert. license and passport. had to watch the one hour video but they let my wife watch it for me because I had to go back home to get my yellow book. It was all done at the transport office because the DL center was upstairs.....no problem.

Last time I did the movie thing the actual TV or Video was broken but still had to sit in the room for an hour and half lol. Only in Thailand. It was one of there third party driving school agents during Covid so I think they have to log you on and off the DLT system so I guess they need to make sure you are their for at least the length of the video. There were 10 other people in the room, I couldn't believe the ludicrousy of it all. No one complained or said anything, just complied and sat and looked at their phones in a hot room for an hour.

I did the online test this time....After a few minutes I was laughing told the missus I would just leave it running in the background and do something else but they have actually put a bit of thought into it 5555. If you open another screen over the top of the video it automatically pauses. Then I thought I will go and sit on the sofa watch TV and leave the computer video going...uh uh.....trick question pops up every now and then to make sure you are paying attention lol. Mind you a few of the "correct" answers to the question's were the direct opposite to what were stated in the movie. In the end sat there and watched it and there were a few things I was reminded that I should be more aware of when driving so not a waste of time. I couldn't help but thinking though I wish more Thais would watch the movie lol. Well done Thailand! ????  

Edited by Kenny202
  • Haha 1

If the 4 online test questions were the same as mine and which kept popping up during the 1 hour video to keep you watching  the correct answers if it helps are

1) tailgating, 2) 30 m, 3) 30m, 4) 30m

Then the same questions were repeated at the end of the test.

Amazing Thailand!

6 hours ago, Tmoney said:

If the 4 online test questions were the same as mine and which kept popping up during the 1 hour video to keep you watching  the correct answers if it helps are

1) tailgating, 2) 30 m, 3) 30m, 4) 30m

Then the same questions were repeated at the end of the test.

Amazing Thailand!

That is exactly how I answered them but it doesn't say if you are correct or not. In the movie they clearly state alcohol is the biggest cause of accidents in Thailand, but in the multiple choice question it doesn't even give you that option. Tailgating seemed the most logical answer out of the 4 choices provided

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

That is exactly how I answered them but it doesn't say if you are correct or not. In the movie they clearly state alcohol is the biggest cause of accidents in Thailand, but in the multiple choice question it doesn't even give you that option. Tailgating seemed the most logical answer out of the 4 choices provided

You clearly listened to the movie more intently than me, ???????? but yes, I went for the logical answers without knowing whether or not they were correct and was rewarded with the QR code at the end.

14 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I am actually in Khon Kaen. Wife rang today said can go straight to IO with a copy of your online test and get the residents letter. Always perplexed me, I did my 90 day (address) report the other day. I can't see why that can't be used as it will always be under 3 months old. You can use a residents letter for up to 6 months. Not that anything is usually logical in Thailand

Yes, it changed over 6-12 months ago (as far as I can tell, because that's the gap when I did my bike renew and car test). No need to go to DLT to request a certificate.

Just to conclude, nothing more to add, went to the DLT office this morning, it took just over an hour to do the usual tests, pay the fees etc. but walked out with the 2 licences.

Have to say the whole procedure went like clockwork, much improved from 6 years ago, and yes, this, the day after my birthday and I have 6 years before I need to go again.

Good luck with your application Kenny