Russia is sending museum pieces into war, but experts say they may still be effective

webfact

2 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Not that they're actually being used in ukraine, but at 35 tons, they're less likely to get bogged down in the sticky ukranium spring mud than the 60-70 ton leopards and challengers.

Hence the thread title. 

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Not that they're actually being used in ukraine, but at 35 tons, they're less likely to get bogged down in the sticky ukranium spring mud than the 60-70 ton leopards and challengers.

That assumes the Ukrainians will be stupid enough to send out Leopards and Challengers in less than ideal conditions. So far, they have been far smarter than the Russians.

Shoulder fired missiles seem to be doing quite nicely on outdated Soviet tanks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

I'd be happy to accept this as fact if only reporting wasn't lost in the fog of war. 

Who knows what to believe. 

Look at the footage of Russian tanks being turned into scrap metal by artillery and shoulder-fired missiles, or Russian infantry in trenches getting clobbered by grenade - bearing drones. There's no fog of war about that.

If the Russians were responding in kind, don't you think they would be boasting about it on social media?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Look at the footage of Russian tanks being turned into scrap metal by artillery and shoulder-fired missiles, or Russian infantry in trenches getting clobbered by grenade - bearing drones. There's no fog of war about that.

If the Russians were responding in kind, don't you think they would be boasting about it on social media?

Wonderful. But what about you don't see?

Edited by torturedsole
  • Confused 2

Aljazera report. 

eastern provinces of Donetsk and Luhansk and the strategically important Kherson province.

They were three of the four provinces Russian President Vladimir Putin proclaimed as part of Russia last month.

The tanks could be used in these regions as support, seeing as its claimed as being Russia. 

On 5/9/2023 at 4:40 PM, Kwasaki said:

A/T missiles are expensive so maybe the Russians sending 1000's of old tanks is a tactic. 

They don't care who's inside em. 

I believe that is the tactic, to use their abundant stocks of weapons to soak up modern missiles shells. The west is under pressure to provide enough ammo.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

I believe that is the tactic, to use their abundant stocks of weapons to soak up modern missiles shells. The west is under pressure to provide enough ammo.

Yeah the west has got to up the game. 

Ukraine has enough antitank missiles from UK but they are for close range, I guess that won't bother the Ukraine soldier lads. 

On 5/10/2023 at 7:59 PM, torturedsole said:

I'd be happy to accept this as fact if only reporting wasn't lost in the fog of war. 

Who knows what to believe. 

For starters you could believe the right wing fanatic supporters of the invasion who have milblogs. They haven't been real happy about how the Russian effort is going for quite a while now.

• Thumbs Up 1