How to make TOT fix my landline instead of installing an IP-phone over 3G, which won't work anyway.

rabas

I live in a condo where about 30 residents have landlines. I've kept a landline for years because mobile service on the 20 floor is often problematic and I need a reliable phone for emergencies. It also works well with my 1939 Ma Bell telephone. 

My phone line recently had a minor problem due to TOT's local exchange (not my line because I could still call out). I asked TOT to fix it. They said they would install a fiber line but there is no TOT fiber service to the building, yet. So I said, just fix the old line. Then they decided, without consulting me, to install an IP phone over 3G wireless, which I don't want either because mobile service is poor on my floor. In the meantime they inexplicably shut off my service.

They've visited twice and I've called so many times via their useless call center. I only learned about the IP-phone idea today by accident. I also have no idea what an IP phone costs or what problems it may have with overseas services, etc.

I just want them to fix my landline which of course they can because they support 30 other landlines to the building.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Frustrating. Do any other telcos offer fixed landlines these days in Bangkok? 

Good question.

TOT is the only only operator with physical fixed lines that bypass the internet. These are being converted to fiber for the last mile but require a fiber to POTS phone-line distribution box, which they so far refused to install to support the ~30 landlines at my condo. TOT currently has ~3 million fixed lines. TRUE used to have fixed lines but they rented the hardware from TOT. TOT fixed line service here.  (Thai)

However, most telecom players now offer "fixed" Thai landline VoIP, which goes over the internet. That is only as reliable as your internet and maybe power.  But these require an IP phone and won't support a standard handset without extra stuff. Their overseas long distance services are not clear.  Just found this thanks to your suggestion.  https://www.voip-thailand.com/fixed-landline-phone-numbers-thailand/

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

I did not realise that landlines are still a thing.

Do you have dial up internet?

AIS Fiber to the premises (condo) distributed by ADSL. TRUE is planning fiber to the room but have been dragging their feet.  BTW, landline POTS (plain old telephone service) is most reliable even surviving power and internet outages.  But yeah, it's something they are trying get rid of.

3 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

It's probably end of life and they will not support it anymore.

I'm sure that's it but they still support 30 other people's fixed lines in my building alone, so they can fix it easily, especially if they have nothing else reliable to offer.

There are probably some contractual issues involved if only I could find them...

42 minutes ago, rabas said:

Good question.

TOT is the only only operator with physical fixed lines that bypass the internet. These are being converted to fiber for the last mile but require a fiber to POTS phone-line distribution box, which they so far refused to install to support the ~30 landlines at my condo. TOT currently has ~3 million fixed lines. TRUE used to have fixed lines but they rented the hardware from TOT. TOT fixed line service here.  (Thai)

However, most telecom players now offer "fixed" Thai landline VoIP, which goes over the internet. That is only as reliable as your internet and maybe power.  But these require an IP phone and won't support a standard handset without extra stuff. Their overseas long distance services are not clear.  Just found this thanks to your suggestion.  https://www.voip-thailand.com/fixed-landline-phone-numbers-thailand/

In the UK, Vodafone just sent me a simple adapter (pic below) that plugs into their supplied router and converts the VOIP signal into a regular fixed telephone connection - so no special VOIP phone needed. Only problem is that I use a 3rd party, Netgear router so it won't work for me. As I never use the landline, it's no loss (there is no line rental). 

It will be interesting to see what TOT do for my Bangkok landline in the future (that I never use either, but for 107 Baht/Month it is worth keeping for now).

Good luck solving your problems. I would keep trying to get them to fix your landline. Call HQ and hopefully get a resolution from higher up the authority chain. Maybe you condo JP can help?

image.png.bc11ee3002b86b7f5e5319ed1e9201b3.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I did not realise that landlines are still a thing.

Do you have dial up internet?

I also live in a condominium and for many years have had two landlines TOT now called NT plc. Both lines stopped working so I complained, they said the problem is in your condo building get the technician there to fix it. I replied I pay you so you fix it. Our technician fixed the problem only for it to happen again. Repeat the process and fixed again. The root of the problem is apparently that TOT/PP own the external lines but not the lines inside the condo and management demand that TOT/NP pay a service fee to use the internal lines. Due to the hassle I decide to cancel one of my land lines and took the original receipt for Baht 3000 deposit (security deposit in case of non payment). At first they told me "this is the installation fee" I stood firm and eventually they agreed to return my money but am still waiting 6 weeks already. Stand firm with them. 

• Thanks 1

Last year our landline went dead. TOT said there were no usable copper pairs left so they gave us a 3G phone. It's quite a good phone except that it is not capable of extensions.

We had a second phone in this big two-story house. Now that is not possible, cannot share a number. If I'm upstairs when the phone rings, tough beans.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

In the UK, Vodafone just sent me a simple adapter (pic below) that plugs into their supplied router and converts the VOIP signal into a regular fixed telephone connection - so no special VOIP phone needed. Only problem is that I use a 3rd party, Netgear router so it won't work for me. As I never use the landline, it's no loss (there is no line rental). 

It will be interesting to see what TOT do for my Bangkok landline in the future (that I never use either, but for 107 Baht/Month it is worth keeping for now).

Good luck solving your problems. I would keep trying to get them to fix your landline. Call HQ and hopefully get a resolution from higher up the authority chain. Maybe you condo JP can help?

image.png.bc11ee3002b86b7f5e5319ed1e9201b3.png

You are exactly correct about keeping after them and going through higher people. I have a request into the Laksi exchange manager who will presumably call back soon, we will see.

Like you noticed, the vodafone unit above is likely just a plug adapter. The electronics to implement the 2-wire connection is likely built into their equipment. A 2 wire interface requires a 20/40 milli amp current loop sitting at ~45 volts and an AC ring signal of almost 200 volts peak to peak.

Edited by rabas

6 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

Last year our landline went dead. TOT said there were no usable copper pairs left so they gave us a 3G phone. It's quite a good phone except that it is not capable of extensions.

We had a second phone in this big two-story house. Now that is not possible, cannot share a number. If I'm upstairs when the phone rings, tough beans.

Is that a 3G connection where you can plug in a standard landline phone, or they also gave you an internet phone of some sort?

18 hours ago, rabas said:

I only learned about the IP-phone idea today by accident. I also have no idea what an IP phone costs or what problems it may have with overseas services, etc.

You just plug you normal (modern) phone into a normal phone plug on the modem, it works just like a good old-fashioned land-line phone. Same-same, but different: The "different" is that your line is digitalized little earlier than before.

I've been using IP-phone for 20 years. I just took my IP-phone-modem and telephone with me to Thailand in 2006 and plugged it into an RJ45 internet line. I still have my same old telephone number from my Scandinavian home-country and make calls for local home-country tariff, just like I was calling from my previous home...:thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

Final outcome.

After discussions between the NT Laksi branch manager, the condo and myself, NT/TOT agreed to install a full fiber box to provide hardware landline ports and fiber internet for the whole condo. The new landlines will use the condo's existing copper pairs so no disruption of service. I'm told the order is already signed and will take about 1 to 2 weeks. That's fast considering the condo has been asking for years.

As for my landline, they gave me a simple 3G wireless desktop landline, which I had told them won't work on the 20th floor. But they pleaded saying it was only for a week so I said OK.  Don't complain about small things after winning the war. This morning the Laksi manager called to see how my new 3G landline was working but the connection was so bad we couldn't talk. After calling 3 times he said "Let me call you on your mobile." Lol.

Overall though, the Laski manger was very helpful and worked hard to fix our problems.  As one poster above said, to get problems fixed you need to go higher up.  Once you find someone helpful, be very nice.  

Thanks to all who posted helpful comments.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 1:24 PM, rabas said:

Is that a 3G connection where you can plug in a standard landline phone, or they also gave you an internet phone of some sort?

They provided me a phone that looks like a fancy landline desktop phone but it's actually a mobile network phone. Has a 3G SIM inside which cannot be changed.

That is entirely different from a VOIP phone that connects to your standard router and different from a router that has 1 or 2 RJ11 ports for old-style phones.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

They provided me a phone that looks like a fancy landline desktop phone but it's actually a mobile network phone. Has a 3G SIM inside which cannot be changed.

That is entirely different from a VOIP phone that connects to your standard router and different from a router that has 1 or 2 RJ11 ports for old-style phones.

Like this GSM 'landline' they gave me? No connectivity and doesn't work well enough from the 20th floor to hold conversations. But the installer did say it should work anywhere in Bangkok as long as it can find a TOT 3G signal.

Calls police station: "Record this call from my home phone for evidence. I am nowhere near the bank branch currently being robbed!"

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Interesting, a GSM signal booster. It could work, put the base station on the balcony, look for signal, and redistribute in my home. If I were to keep the GSM phone.

Weak mobile signals at high elevation are usually due to base stations being angled towards the ground. Downtown with many high-rises, some BS antennas can point upwards. My building is taller than the general surroundings.