Hilux boiled dry, engine damage resulted, suggestions welcomed.

15 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

She has a 2013 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. Fortunately, she (and family) seem satisfied with old vehicles. She gave her Honda City 2003 to her daughter and a 2002 Hilux 4wd ex-rescue to her son. It had a nice snorkel, was sorry to see it go.

You got a keeper there old school!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

39 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

I was in an area of BKK years ago and there were several shops that had 4 cylinder engines on pallets obviously for sale.Many choices.You'll need a knowledgeable/trustworthy Thai mechanic to help help select the correct one that will bolt in without many mods.They may even bench run it for you along with a compression check.(beer involved)

Bang Plee near Samut Prakan has thousands of car/truck parts incl rebuilt engines. I got a rebuilt KZd/toyoto 4 cylinder diesel with turbo for around 15k Baht about 10k to install it.....still runs fine after 10 years....lots of good motors for less as the KZd is popular for 4 wheel racers. I got 5k or ? for my old motor.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Hilux boiled dry, engine damage resulted, suggestions welcomed".

2JZ-GTE.  It'll slip in a treat.

Wow! Had to look that up. Yes, would be more than good. Sort of hoping that the guys will come back with something more powerful. It did seem rather slow, especially when my Mrs 'forgets' it has a fifth gear.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Wow! Had to look that up. Yes, would be more than good. Sort of hoping that the guys will come back with something more powerful. It did seem rather slow, especially when my Mrs 'forgets' it has a fifth gear.

buy a temp gauge, water pressure, oil pressure and amp meter etc.  I had a small temp gauge that was digital for 300 Baht and it measured the battery and warned about water and battery issues.

And as others have warned make sure you put coolant in. Most Thais don't bother and pay for it later.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

That is completely cooked and looking at the water galleries its never had the correct coolant in it as its all rusty. Even though antifreeze is not a requirement here it should still have it in the coolant to protect from corrosion which obviously this one hasn't. Poor maintenance has caused this engine to blow. 

Get a 2nd hand engine from a breakers and have the radiator and coolant hoses all cleaned out. Possibly a new radiator is required. 

Maybe 10k from a breaker and 5k to fit it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, misterphil said:

That is completely cooked and looking at the water galleries its never had the correct coolant in it as its all rusty. Even though antifreeze is not a requirement here it should still have it in the coolant to protect from corrosion which obviously this one hasn't. Poor maintenance has caused this engine to blow. 

Get a 2nd hand engine from a breakers and have the radiator and coolant hoses all cleaned out. Possibly a new radiator is required. 

Maybe 10k from a breaker and 5k to fit it. 

Many thanks. That's a very clear explanation and recommendation!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The ethylene glycol usually in the coolant package would probably attack the plastic components in the radiator, hence the warning.

Engines are a lot more expensive than radiators. The logic of buying a cheap part in place of a radiator designed to be compatible with the engine escapes me.

Coolants have corrosion inhibitors in their formulation. By operating the system with only water, and a mixture of alloy and steel, you are inviting rust in.

Yes it is the acid in the coolant that attacks the joint at the top hose connection plastic 'neck' that's what stuffed up the last rad ( i found out the prob though a google search and that is exactly where it leaked) no prob until i put coolant in it, It doesn't rust the engine much at all, some rust does float to the top, but can be floated right off the top, i have had it boil once when the electric fan stopped working, that brought a lot of rust out when i back flushed it, but no problems or rust since. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes it is the acid in the coolant that attacks the joint at the top hose connection plastic 'neck' that's what stuffed up the last rad ( i found out the prob though a google search and that is exactly where it leaked) no prob until i put coolant in it, It doesn't rust the engine much at all, some rust does float to the top, but can be floated right off the top, i have had it boil once when the electric fan stopped working, that brought a lot of rust out when i back flushed it, but no problems or rust since. 

I have never heard of an acid coolant, if anything they tend to be alkaline.

The excess rust you see is nothing compared to what is lining the passageways of the engine and radiator, and affects heat transfer. Metals conduct heat, rust doesn't. To say nothing of what it is doing to the water pump.

Coolants also perform the function of elevating boiling point as well as depressing freezing point. Coolants raise the boiling point of the fluid to above 130 C, a useful property in the Thai climate.

I wish you good luck with your engine, you are going to need it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Throw it away and get a later model.

1995 OMG! I'd imagine crappy fuel compared to a later model, higher pollution rate from old engine, Ancient ABS systems etc etc etc.

We've only owned it for five years, it's still new to us! Although I don't drive I prefer the smaller size of this generation, more of a car than a truck. 

• Like 1

My wifes cousin borrowed our car for 1 day… but it didn’t come back without a tow. Overheated and blew the engine… and said sorry I don’t have money to fix it. Cost us 30,000 to have rebuilt by a relatives shop… he did a good job .. showed me the parts as he went along.. I’m still pissed about it 3 years later… told wife next time someone ask you use a car tell them no or drive them..  

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks again! We've recently had a couple of Thai guys wanting to buy ours, offering 50,000 baht. 

I assume that's before the engine blew:) Most mighty-x's of this year are advertised for 80K or less. Would it be worth to sell it as is and upgrade a few years to a hilux vigo? Unless the rest of your pickup is in great condition, this may be a better option. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DJ54 said:

My wifes cousin borrowed our car for 1 day… but it didn’t come back without a tow. Overheated and blew the engine… and said sorry I don’t have money to fix it. Cost us 30,000 to have rebuilt by a relatives shop… he did a good job .. showed me the parts as he went along.. I’m still pissed about it 3 years later… told wife next time someone ask you use a car tell them no or drive them..  

That's what you got for doing someone a favour! I can understand you not being too happy about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

I assume that's before the engine blew:) Most mighty-x's of this year are advertised for 80K or less. Would it be worth to sell it as is and upgrade a few years to a hilux vigo? Unless the rest of your pickup is in great condition, this may be a better option. 

Thanks, a good option. Everything is good with it externally and interior apart from the obvious! Full respray about eighteen months ago. Mrs is coming to the end of her days as a shopkeeper so won't really have need of a pickup for much longer.