Hilux boiled dry, engine damage resulted, suggestions welcomed.

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks! Have to hope for the best. I was a bit shocked because I believed the engine wasn't fixable. 

Near anything is fixable at a cost, which has to be weighed up....:whistling:

I had a Chevy V8 where a side wall was cracked from near end to end, it was cleverly fixed and spent many years making sounds......????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Today the guys got back to my Mrs. Told her a reconditioned engine would be 70,000 baht and, of course, it might have suffered the same fate as our own. They estimate 48,000 baht (parts and labour) for repair of engine and replacement radiator etc. Apparently, they're already onto it.

Are they going to pin the cracked cylinder head or replace with a second hand one?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Are they going to pin the cracked cylinder head or replace with a second hand one?

Good question! I'm not that technical myself but I'll try and ask. The guys have a large yard full of pickups and vans with a few engines out. Maybe that's a good sign? They sent this video clip. 

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Good question! I'm not that technical myself but I'll try and ask. The guys have a large yard full of pickups and vans with a few engines out. Maybe that's a good sign? They sent this video clip.

The video is showing where the water has eroded the block face/liner. I'm not sure if resurfacing will be able to remove that much material. I think they want to fit new liners.

Edited by stubuzz
  • Thanks 1