Hilux boiled dry, engine damage resulted, suggestions welcomed.

Last week Mrs noticed steam and smoke coming from her 1995 Toyota Hilux Mighty X. She insisted that the temperature guage was reading normal. Anyway, this is the result. The mechanics are talking about new and reconditioned engines. Is that the only option?

2023-05-10 09.26.31.jpg

2023-05-10 09.26.34.jpg

2023-05-10 09.26.37.jpg

2023-05-10 09.26.40.jpg

2023-05-10 09.26.43.jpg

2023-05-10 09.26.47.jpg

2023-05-10 09.26.51.jpg

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

I have no idea, but I do know that LOS is full of crashed rides for engines and all the ancillary stuff...

The problem with the OP's engine, is that nobody really knows the hidden problems the water lose caused, that are not seen with the eye, warpage, cracks, who knows what.

Would hate to see a lot of money spent on a 28 year old engine which does have a hidden agenda...????

Thanks for the warning! The guys did 'phone my Mrs warning her that repair could cost 40,000 baht and did she want to proceed? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for the warning! The guys did 'phone my Mrs warning her that repair could cost 40,000 baht and did she want to proceed? 

A thousand quid, but, I have no doubt that something else may well arise to up that figure.

The truck itself is old too, best see what they come up with second-hand engine wise, bit of a dilemma for you...:whistling:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Many years ago that happened to my Peugeot 504 estate.

I had to get the engine completely stripped and rebuilt.

it is unlikely that you will find a new engine for a car of that age. If you buy one from a wreck you will have no idea what condition that engine will be in.

IMO you will be better off in the long term fitting a reconditioned engine and with a bit of luck it may come with a guarantee.

A car that old may not even be worth repairing.

Thanks for the info. We paid 80,000 for it in 2018 discounted from 100,000. It came from a motor dealer friend. Since then no problems. However, have invested in a full respray.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for the info. We paid 80,000 for it in 2018 discounted from 100,000. It came from a motor dealer friend. Since then no problems. However, have invested in a full respray.

If you do put it back on the road don't forget to replace all the water hoses, just in case.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Many years ago that happened to my Peugeot 504 estate.

I had to get the engine completely stripped and rebuilt.

it is unlikely that you will find a new engine for a car of that age. If you buy one from a wreck you will have no idea what condition that engine will be in.

IMO you will be better off in the long term fitting a reconditioned engine and with a bit of luck it may come with a guarantee.

A car that old may not even be worth repairing.

It's easy and cheap enough to run a compression test on an engine, then have the cylinder head off to check the coolant passages for corrosion. If it passes both of those inspections, it should be good to go.

Forgot - if the OP replaces the engine, he should also replace the radiator. The one he has is very probably cactus.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

This engine was not shut down as soon as steam appeared IMO but driven a while, have you ever seen your wife check the oil or water?

Both of us guilty your honour! I haven't checked the coolant, engine oil, brake fluid or screenwash for some time. She does run it into a tyre fitting bay occasionally for the guy to pump up the tyres but I have to keep reminding her. Not long ago I was in the front passenger seat and noticed the temperature guage was full over to H. I pointed to it several times. She obviously didn't understand. I said; 'Too hot, garage NOW'. Fortunately we were passing several at the time. The problem was only a radiator hose.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO the percentage of women who check the oil, water and tire pressures of a vehicle would be close to zero.

At least my missus is aware of them being checked as she askes me too check them, even after showing her EVERY time, she gets the PTP gas station attendant to check the tires. On a side note the cheap plastic/alloy radiator I brought had a sticker on it do not put coolant of ANY kind just water. The sticker translation was like "No put Yar of any kind.

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Both of us guilty your honour! I haven't checked the coolant, engine oil, brake fluid or screenwash for some time. She does run it into a tyre fitting bay occasionally for the guy to pump up the tyres but I have to keep reminding her. Not long ago I was in the front passenger seat and noticed the temperature guage was full over to H. I pointed to it several times. She obviously didn't understand. I said; 'Too hot, garage NOW'. Fortunately we were passing several at the time. The problem was only a radiator hose.  

You silly billy. I think you will in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Really hard to say. My taxi driving Thai friend says about 8000 but bound to be a lot of extras including labor and any other parts needed plus of course condition of replacement engine will effect the price.

Thanks! Most helpful starting point/price.  

31 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I was in an area of BKK years ago and there were several shops that had 4 cylinder engines on pallets obviously for sale.Many choices.You'll need a knowledgeable/trustworthy Thai mechanic to help help select the correct one that will bolt in without many mods.They may even bench run it for you along with a compression check.(beer involved)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

????Mrs,  said gauge was normal, hint maybe she wants an upgrade 

She has a 2013 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. Fortunately, she (and family) seem satisfied with old vehicles. She gave her Honda City 2003 to her daughter and a 2002 Hilux 4wd ex-rescue to her son. It had a nice snorkel, was sorry to see it go.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1