End of employment, end of Non-B visa, what happens next?

I think a lot of people confuse the 7 day extension you can get on the day you cancel the Non B extension as meaning you have a 7 day grace period to go cancel the extension.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LogicThai said:

My company arranged the entire process: Cancellation of the WP and the Non-B, and Immigration granted 21 days, during which I secured a Non-O (Retirement).

Retrospectively, I probably should have gone for a Non-O (Marriage), because my Non-O (Retirement) is incompatible with a new WP. But Non-O (Retirement) is so much easier and faster to secure. It only took 45 minutes at Immigration.

That's interesting.

Why is a Non-O retirement incompatible?

I thought people can retire and then apply for a Non-B visa if they want to work again. Or not?

BIgt3116 gave a link and i got further on that, as all has to do with was said in there.

SO i found on on internet.

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/29-Public-Handbook-2.28-certification-or-request-made-by-an-embassy-or-consulate.pdf

In there they speak about 21 consideration time working days and not 3 weeks, as weekend is not working day, tough. That was said in Frank legal and tax. But all has to do prior for ending permit.

Also about this is already in Asean now, link 

Maybe you can work with that all?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's interesting.

Why is a Non-O retirement incompatible?

I thought people can retire and then apply for a Non-B visa if they want to work again. Or not?

Well, yes, whatever your current Permission to Stay, you can cancel it and apply for a Non-B, and then a WP. That's the common path. Depending your starting point, you may have to leave the country and apply for your Non-B abroad, as is the case for a Non-O Retirement. Other PtS (improperly called Visa) may allow a direct shift. When I did that, borders were still closed, they had me cancel my Non-O, made me apply for a COVID-Special or whatever it was, and from there a Non-B.

The point of preferring a Non-O (Marriage) (or Parent of a Thai child, for that matter) is that you do not need to cancel your current PtS, you can keep it as it is and right away apply for a Work Permit.

Edited by LogicThai
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LennyW said:

It is cancelled if your visa is based on employment, the company are responsible. BOI company 7 days grace, non BOI 24 hours.

How wrong can you be? VISAS are not cancelled and if you have an EXTENSION that is cancelled and you leave THAT DAY -no 24 hours grace! (for non-BOI, which is most people).

Edited by bigt3116
add info
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your detailed post, CrunchWrapSupreme. 

The last time I did it, I went to the Labour Office in the morning and waited there (in the office where they could see me) until they had finished. I then went to Immigration in the afternoon. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 6:55 PM, LogicThai said:

My company arranged the entire process: Cancellation of the WP and the Non-B, and Immigration granted 21 days, during which I secured a Non-O (Retirement).

Retrospectively, I probably should have gone for a Non-O (Marriage), because my Non-O (Retirement) is incompatible with a new WP. But Non-O (Retirement) is so much easier and faster to secure. It only took 45 minutes at Immigration.

Dear LogicThai,

I am in exactly same situation. I'm investigating if I can change my Non Imm B to a Non Imm O (marriage & also have daughter). May I ask what documents you needed? Any bank statements? How helpful were Immigration about the transfer? Any advice appreciated. 🙏

4 hours ago, bangkok blue said:

Dear LogicThai,

I am in exactly same situation. I'm investigating if I can change my Non Imm B to a Non Imm O (marriage & also have daughter). May I ask what documents you needed? Any bank statements? How helpful were Immigration about the transfer? Any advice appreciated. 🙏

Well, what I did was getting a Non-O Retirement, for which the documents were simply my passport, the letter from the bank, the bank statements, a copy of the bank book, and my wife's ID and Tabien Ban. My Non-B had been cancelled and I had 15 days to apply for something else (the Non-O Re in my case). Immigration in Buriram was great, they handled all the paperwork, I just had to sit and wait 45 minutes or so, then the IO made me sign all the forms, and that was it. Cost was 2,000 Baht (as it was a new application, not an extension), and 3,900 Baht for the Multiple Re-entry stamp.

The IO indicated that it would take longer and require more paperwork if I wanted a Non-O Marriage or Parent of a Thai child, and that if I did not need a work permit, it was very advisable to stick to a Non-O Re.

12 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

Immigration in Buriram was great, they handled all the paperwork, I just had to sit and wait 45 minutes or so, then the IO made me sign all the forms, and that was it. Cost was 2,000 Baht (as it was a new application, not an extension), and 3,900 Baht for the Multiple Re-entry stamp.

It was an extension, not a new visa application, and I will bet that your receipt reflected that (1,900 baht). However, given that they were friendly, it might have been prudent to have let that go.

They are correct that a retirement extension is much simpler (especially for them, but also for you) than an extension based on Thai spouse or child).

On 5/10/2023 at 11:08 PM, JeffersLos said:

7 days to leave the country or apply for an extension with all requirements met. 

Don't you have to get that at immigration - not automatic. Isn't it cancel WP at labour office on last day and then same day go to immigration to cancel visa? You apply for an extension and are given 7 days to get out stamp - without this you have to leave same day?

Shows how welcome we are, we got your knowledge transfer, now get out.

4 hours ago, bangkok blue said:

Thank you @LogicThai

Any idea if Non imm O based on marriage and child doable within 21 day window?

I don't know, but I would assume so. The Non-O Marriage requires more paperwork and Immigration needs to perform a home visit, which adds a delay to the process. But I would imagine that if justified, they can give you a short extension, or a conditional permission to stay "Upon Consideration" or whatever suits their process. 

Nonetheless, it is advisable to go to your Immigration Office as soon as possible and ask them what to do. Be polite, calm, dress appropriately, smile and wai, and see what they have to say. There are many horror stories about Thai Immigration, but in my experience, they have always been perfectly reasonable and helpful.