Phuket motorcycle taxi rider fined for overcharging and threatening passenger

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo via Facebook/ โหดจัง ภูเก็ต

by Petch Petpailin

A motorcycle taxi rider in the Patong neighbourhood of Phuket has been fined 2,500 baht after trying to overcharge and threaten a passenger. The incident was reported by 32 year old Wilaiwan Khormobklang to officers at Patong Police Station yesterday, May 10.

The rider, identified as Prasertchai, operates on Rat Uthit 200 Years Road in Patong sub-district, Kathu district, Phuket. His motorcycle’s registration number is กน 6114.

According to Wilaiwan’s complaint, she called Prasertchai at 4am and informed him of her destination. He quoted her a fee of 70 baht, which was higher than the usual fee of 50 baht. When Wilaiwan refused to pay the higher fee and informed Prasertchai that she knew the correct price, he reduced the fee to 60 baht. However, Wilaiwan still felt that the fee was unfair and politely refused his service, deciding to walk instead.

Prasertchai became angry and began chasing after Wilaiwan while shouting vulgarities at her. Despite Wilaiwan apologising to him, the rider continued to threaten her.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/phuket-motorcycle-taxi-rider-fined-for-overcharging-and-threatening-passenger

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The price doesn't necessarily have to be the same at all times of the day. If I were a motorcycle taxi driver, I would charge more at 4am. It's a matter of supply and demand. And, as has been mentioned already, being "overcharged" by 10 baht at most is nothing compared to how much foreigners are overcharged.

• Like 1

Did I read correctly?

The lady called a taxi driver at 4am and was quoted a price?  The article said called, so she didn't just flag down random mototaxi on the road.  It would seem she agreed to the price, and then he drove out to pick her up. 

Was it only after he arrived that she tried to dispute the fare that she had apparently agreed to?

I’ve said this several times, but IMHO, one way that I think the authorities can really make a dent in this kind of problem is seizures.. 

Sure .. impose fines… but.. if - for example - the offense is either egregious or perhaps a repeat offense - seize and permanently confiscate all assets used in the commission of the crime..

Start taking (permanently) bikes of repeat offenders… cars of repeat taxi scofflaws … land and structures of those that willfully violate drug or fire codes….  

Yes, I think it won’t stop everyone.. but i do think once you start taking peoples high value assets - and perhaps their “tools” to commit these crimes, you’ll see less of it.

Fines, IMHO, don’t really work— for many they’re just a cost of doing business.. incarceration only works of you have more money than time.. and for those on the lower end of the economic they generally have more time than money (plus incarceration transfers some of the punishment cost to the public)… so seizures to me “check all the boxes” if you will. 

Edited by new2here

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Usually I’d be commenting about ‘taxi mafia’ and how this scum need cleaning up... 

But, a fair increase from 40 baht to 70 baht at 4am does not seem excessive at all - the ride was provided at a considerably antisocial hour. 

I think the rider has been treated unfairly - I think there are a lot more genuine issues with the taxi and motorcycle guys to be dealt with way before issues such as this are responded to with an unfair ‘knee-jerk’ fine.

I agree The 'Taxi' rider has just moved to Phuket with his 3 kids, give him a break, But no taxi license and no helmet is asking for a fine, now his family will suffer not just him.

7 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Did I read correctly?

The lady called a taxi driver at 4am and was quoted a price?  The article said called, so she didn't just flag down random mototaxi on the road.  It would seem she agreed to the price, and then he drove out to pick her up. 

Was it only after he arrived that she tried to dispute the fare that she had apparently agreed to?

Seems clear from the article that she called on him in his motor taxi service area 

19 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Did I read correctly?

Lousy journalism again.