What Health Experts Want Now That the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Is Over

image.png.1691e94e8ba166bfa864f9f78f193642.png

Hopefully, the U.S.’s response to the next outbreak will be more streamlined, given the experience the country now has. The public is now more educated about how their behaviors can control the spread of a virus, through high-quality masking, regular testing, and isolation when symptomatic.

And legislators have seen firsthand how funding for vaccines and treatments can pay off.

The job ahead is to ingrain those expectations and behaviors into the nation’s health care system by directing funding toward continued innovation in treatments; tracking potential new health threats through systems like monitoring wastewater; and building a response network of people, innovation, and supplies nimble enough to detect new infectious threats and respond to them quickly.

READ MORE

https://time.com/6279138/covid-19-public-health-emergency-end/

image.png.c8f5afbfbee51cde4252ee8aad2dc3da.png

no paywall archive link

• Haha 1

Over?  Not here it appears mask wearing and paranoia still seem prevalent. All these people alone in their cars masked?

Interesting if you watch some Thai workers in shops/malls or public places.  They will pull their mask down usually around other Thais.  But. if Falang walk near they will pull it up.  Certainly seems some paranoid assumptions about foreigners exist.

54 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Over?  Not here it appears mask wearing and paranoia still seem prevalent. All these people alone in their cars masked?

Interesting if you watch some Thai workers in shops/malls or public places.  They will pull their mask down usually around other Thais.  But. if Falang walk near they will pull it up.  Certainly seems some paranoid assumptions about foreigners exist.

I had a doctor appointment at a private hospital in CM.  99% masking except for odd-balls like me although I had one in my pocket. 
I entered the doctor's office and he was wearing a mask.  I offered to put one on and he said no.  The nurse closed the door - and - his mask came off.  Go figure.  ????

My guess is that it's hospital policy for their staff.  Everyone else?  Fear in many cases (like my wife), social compliance in many others (like my wife).  Thais are loathe not to conform as conformity is baked into society starting at a very young age.  If enough people wear masks, others will wear them in order not to stand out.

What Health Experts Want Now That the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Is Over

Let me guess. More money, more bureaucracy, more departments, more jobs, more power, more control, more regulation, more compliance.

All in the name of "keeping us safe" and "saving the planet".

• Like 1

I'd settle for fewer people dying than the 7 million officially claimed by COVID, with the real number of COVID deaths estimated to be closer to 15-20 million.

The public health agencies need to do better, particularly at communicating more effectively and more clearly, so as to not give more space to the disease deniers, anti-vax wingnuts, and conspiracy theory peddlers.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:38 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd settle for fewer people dying than the 7 million officially claimed by COVID, with the real number of COVID deaths estimated to be closer to 15-20 million.

The public health agencies need to do better, particularly at communicating more effectively and more clearly, so as to not give more space to the disease deniers, anti-vax wingnuts, and conspiracy theory peddlers.

Wow, you love this covid stuff don't you. Most people on your side of the argument now say the science has changed. This of course is not true but it's a way of justifying there bad behaviour in vilifying people who were not vaccinated or dared to exercise outside without a mask. You seem to just double down on all those covid narratives that the msm was perpetuating. Good for you then if it makes you happy to keep the narrative going. Most people however have moved on and don't believe the narrative. 

• Like 2

Study: Original COVID vaccines protected against severe disease, death during Omicron

In Australians who had never previously had COVID-19, a three-dose COVID-19 vaccination series was 42.0% effective against infection and 81.7% effective against hospitalization or death during Omicron, a new study in Emerging Infectious Diseases finds.

Vaccine effectiveness (VE) for preventing lab-confirmed infection was 24.9% (95% confidence interval [CI], 21.2% to 28.4%), increasing to 42.0% (95% CI, 40.2% to 43.6%) for people who had received three doses of vaccine. VE was highest (70.7%) among those who had gotten a booster no more than 30 days before testing.

Severe cases of COVID-19, defined by hospitalizations, and deaths were rare in the study. VE against severe disease for two doses of vaccine was 41.9% (95% CI, 4.8% to 64.5%) and increased to 81.7% (95% CI, 73.9% to 87.2%) for three doses.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/study-original-covid-vaccines-protected-against-severe-disease-death-during-omicron