Thailand’s experiment with weed goes up in smoke

snoop1130

I looked at this business closely prior to the de-criminalisation and then again after. Not on a retail level but as commercial cultivation as a cash crop. Done right it had good potential. However, the legislation was a mess and no where close to what I understood was intended. There just too much free interpretation of the law or lack of it. Under such circumstances, better to wait for clarity. Either your investment could potentially be gone or, perhaps worse, open up to be squeezed by breaking a law. Neither were appealing as potentially worse outcomes. And no .. I don't touch the stuff - it was simply an attractive sector worth consideration and even less so now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

And what happens to all the Thais that spent money creating shops etc?

They will join the ranks of those who bought Blockbuster Video franchises, set up Internet Cafes, installed sidewalk telephone booths, owned 1 hour film developing shops, sold asbestos insulation...or they will just revert to the Indian Tailor shop or Family Mart they were before weed was made kind of legal.

Capital will be reallocated and banks will add to their NPLs.

Capitalism is dynamic, buffeted by changes tastes, innovation, and perhaps in this instance, democracy.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The good news: In Chinese press it is used to keep the tourists at home.. - beside the stories of abductions and organ harvesting.

The bad news: It seems to attract more of the "quality tourists" that Thailand is looking for. (not visiting temples & shopping malls)

5 minutes ago, WilliamSmits said:

The good news: In Chinese press it is used to keep the tourists at home.. - beside the stories of abductions and organ harvesting.

The bad news: It seems to attract more of the "quality tourists" that Thailand is looking for. (not visiting temples & shopping malls)

Yes in the Chinese press it is like people with an overdose Marijuana are dying on the sidewalks.....One of our supplier sent me an email about it after seeing it in TV......China is quickly catching up with fake news...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, redwood1 said:

There are 4358 weed shops  https://weed.th/  in Thailand... I bet more like 6000-7000.....Plus loads of growers and online sellers...

There are rental contracts, emplyees, taxes, loans, suppliers to be paid etc etc etc....

Point is HUGE  numbers of people have invested every thing they have into this..

It CAN NOT BE SHUT DOWN fast...Maybe a slow slow shut down over 2-4 years might be possible....But any shutdown faster than this is not possible without paying out $$$$$$ in compensation....

Thailand and compensation should not be mentioned in the same paragraph ????????

I still haven't seen anyone actually smoking weed or even considering buying it. 

I don't think it's as popular as people thought. 

Although I think it should be legalized I don't think but a few would actually make money selling it. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Xonax said:

10,000 Baht in the wallet is more important to the majority of Thais than free Marihuana. Most voters are not even tax-payers and will be more than happy to let others pay the bill.  Why hasn't the Pheu Thai party not been banned for this vote buying policy?

Because it will NOT become a government policy unless the PTP becomes the ruling party with or without a coalition partner.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, paddypower said:

yep try living 24/7 with back and hip pain, at 81  years of age. some negative posters here seem to suffer from anal retentive syndrome. 

At 78 I have been living with back and knee pain for over 20 years and have not resorted to medical marijuana yet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

And what happens to all the Thais that spent money creating shops etc?

Another new coffee shop  ???? ????

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, h90 said:

So the opposition that is here supported by most got their will and Thailand goes back into the dark ages and against personal freedom....
I hope many people vote "freedom"

Well, the junkies will vote freedom, sadly those farangy's  here can't........????...........????

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

12 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

The special permit to operate, would be more effective if it was for those who drive ICE vehicles that burn 100,000's of gallons of gasoline and diesel every year.  80% of the people on the roads really do not need to be driving.  They do it because they are bored and go to a mall or coffee shop which they could do by walking or taking a baht bus or bicycle. 

Allowing anyone who can afford a vehicle to pollute the air that others have to breathe is a huge health and safety issue, which is 1000X more harmful than smoking some cannabis,

Yes this will likely be removed by the mods as off topic , but it is true 

Obviously you don't live in rural Thailand.

The nearest baht bus to where I live is 6 km away in the big village and does not come this way.

The nearest mall, BigC, Makro, Robinsons etc is 65 km away.

I don't know anybody who spends over 2.5 million baht per year and 100,000's of gallons of gasoline and diesel every year. 

Do you? 

My most expensive month this year was April and I spent 4,320 baht on diesel and I drove 1,433 km.

In 2022 my most expensive month was August at 7.780 baht and 2,491 km.

If you are going to make outlandish claims try researching the topic first.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1