THESE TIMES, are STILL The BEST OF Times, and, Maybe, The WORST OF Times. Yet…ALL GOOD!

Today, Lazada just delivered two hats I ordered that make me look like A Great WHITE Hunter.

The hats were good quality.

The hats were identical.

The hats had a wide brim, for the sun.

And, the hats were unbelievably cheap, too.

How does this even happen? How are these fine hats so cheap? Polyesters?

Is this just a MIRACLE of Logistics combined with Cheap Labor in China, plus good design provided by Foreign Buyers and Importers in the West?

Simply MIRACULOUS to press a few buttons on the keyboard and have, almost incredibly, so much largesse show up on one’s doorstep, AND delivered by a, normally, quite-curtious motorbike driver.

It’s a MIRACLE!

The above is a good example of the BEST of Times.

As for the WORST of Times…

I will not bore you here, at the moment, with an example of this because I am just too darned happy with my hats from China.

NEVER wear a GREEN HAT in China, is my best advice to you.

Yes, My Dear Friends, 

It is undeniable that we do live in the BEST of times.

But, my obvious question to you is….HOW LONG CAN THIS LAST?

How long can we continue getting MONEY FOR NOTHING?

Am I joking?

No.

Because, it would truly be a joke to think that we will continue to get Money for Nothing, in perpetuity.

In case you might think that I do not often think about this question, then you would be wrong.

Note: I was so happy with these hats, that I ordered FIVE more!  Soon, I will have THREE Khaki, THREE Army-Green, and THEE Navy Blue.

And then, I ordered some more.

I am not joking, my friends.

In fact, I have just counted the hats I ordered off of Lazada, and I now have over 15 polyester hats. 

Is this hat-buying some example of our throw-away culture?  Actually, NO.  Because, I fully intend to wear these hats until the day I die, and then donate them to the temple.  And, these hats are so good that they should outlast me…MANY YEARS.

Sometimes I cannot believe just how cheap things have gotten.  For less than a dollar, for example, you can buy so many things, such as a tumbler or a refrigerator thermometer.  I have two fridges.  And so, I bought two thermometers for each fridge compartment, which equaled SIX thermometers, in toto.

When I was growing up, we didn’t have even ONE thermometer for the fridge.

I don’t even recall how my mother took my temperature.  I think she just put the back of her hand on my forehead, or something.

I am only saying that we have too much cheap junk floating around. 

I cannot say that I am not happy to receive this cheap junk when it is delivered.

But.  I must put a stop to this.  I will run out of space for the deliveries from Lazada, very soon.

I now have TWO or THREE of almost everything I need.

What good is that?!!!

Just as an exemplary example, (exemplary meaning a warning in this case, and not a desirable thing), I happen to have 4 microwave ovens.  I do not know why.  

FIRST, I began buying the second as a backup oven. And then, I bought a backup oven for the backup oven.

The same thing happened with the ACs and the Fridges.  

Nothing lasts very long, these days.  And, therefore, you need a BACKUP for whatever you buy.

This is why I have 4 microwave ovens, I think.

What about you, in your household?

These days, you ALWAYS need a BACKUP for just about EVERYTHING….

This is a known-known, as Rummy would have said.

Regards.

Note: Whatever happened to RUMMY, anyway?  I really LOVED that Dude.  They don’t make men like RUMMY, much, anymore, it seems.

Truly, I would love to see Rummy on the TV, again.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Why have you got such a cheap fridge?

I don't know why. 

Many years ago in Asia, fridges were considered a status symbol. 

People would place their fridges in their living rooms, for all to see. 

These days, fridges a less expensive. 

I use fridges with inverter motors so that they don't wake me up at night. 

But, if you really want to know why refrigeration is important for health reasons, then think of vaccines. 

My refrigerator is quite effective. 

Although it's cheap, the freezer compartment goes down to MINUS 23 degrees C. 

I don't consider this cold, at all. 

Did I ever tell you about my driving in Canada where the temperature was MINUS 51 degrees C? 

Minus 51 is really cold. 

My fridge does go down to minus 40, sometimes. 

I have used 3 digital thermometers to verify this. 

But, still, Timmins, Canada gets colder. 

Go see for yourself, if you doubt me. 

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Minus 51 is really cold. 

But, still, Timmins, Canada gets colder. 

Go see for yourself, if you doubt me.

erm, I'll take your word for it. I have lived more or less my entire life at Southern Thai latitudes.

Yes, my friends, 

The coldest temp there must be to be cuckolded... 

戴绿帽子

Wearing a Green Hat. 

This is why, when you visit China, no matter how cold the weather,... Please never wear a green hat. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

One thing that freaks me out is that products we use will continue to get cheaper. 

And what about a Monet? 

Someday, soon, a Monet will be worthless. 

I even worry, these days, that, one day soon, even human beings may become superfluous, and worthless. 

So far, Somchai, the man delivering my water, is important to me. 

But his days are numbered. 

You and I will soon be antiques. 

39 minutes ago, bignok said:

Never understood these topics. I heard Mongolia was nice. Hopefully no internet.

According to Ookla, you can expect at least 50 Mbps internet connectivity speeds in Mongolia. 

I know what you are saying. 

You wish we could turn back time. 

Oppenheimer said the same thing. 

Bombs Away! 

AI is coming for you. 

• Love It 1

My tip is write your post. Complete with a couple of 60’s songs or whatever. But before pressing submit delete the last two thirds. The topic is in the first third but then you feel it necessary to go here and go there etc. I had a 25 year old fridge and when I replaced it I was shocked how much the electric bill went down. Message is not everything is getting more disposable and crappy . Some things like televisions and computers and cars get better and better. Faster.  Cheaper. More efficient. Cup half full.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:15 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

I have two fridges.  And so, I bought two thermometers for each fridge compartment, which equaled SIX thermometers, in toto.

When I did O level maths, 2 x 2 = 4.

Is this the reaction you wanted?

Edited by KannikaP