Bangkok Hospital Dental Care

h90

2 minutes ago, h90 said:

I was almost never at a doctor all my life, so I have no experience, but if I pay (different than with the healthcare in my country which is state organized) wouldn't I have to agree on what is done and what not? I couldn't tell anything for a heart surgery, but at a bladder infection I know that I don't have dengue....and don't need the test....But I always wonder why they take my blood pressure when I have some metal part in my foot (had that recently and couldn't see it to pull it out)

I agree with you, and I always wonder why they bother to take my blood pressure, this especially when I have just walked a few hundred metres across the car park and up the stairs and have only been seated for a couple of minutes, when the nurse comes over and proceeds to take my blood pressure whilst she is talking to me?? It's a nonsense and is added to the bill, even if I wave them away and say I don't want it.

Furthermore I remember for some strange reason that my blood pressure was very high, much higher than normal and nothing was said about that. So what's the point in taking it?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, h90 said:

I was almost never at a doctor all my life, so I have no experience, but if I pay (different than with the healthcare in my country which is state organized) wouldn't I have to agree on what is done and what not? I couldn't tell anything for a heart surgery, but at a bladder infection I know that I don't have dengue....and don't need the test....But I always wonder why they take my blood pressure when I have some metal part in my foot (had that recently and couldn't see it to pull it out)

Blood pressure reading seems to be a part of initial assessment for everything.  

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Blood pressure reading seems to be a part of initial assessment for everything.  

I don't have a problem with that as it stands, however there are procedures for taking blood pressure and I've never seen them followed in any of my visits to the hospital. In fact on one occasion I suggested to the nurse that the machine needed recalibrating, if indeed it had ever been calibrated in it's life, because it gave an abnormally high blood pressure for me?

She didn't know what I was talking about of course, so I went to the ENT room next door (just a few metres away) and got my blood pressure taken then by another machine and it was fairly normal, far lower than the previous reading, and I showed it to her and there was a blank look on her face!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

BDMS is not another name for Bangkok Hospital. Rather it is the corporation which owns them.

Also owns Bumrungrad, Samitivej Hospitals,  BNH, Paolo Hospitals, Phyathai Hospitals  and others .

In other words, a mega corporation which owns most of the large private hospitals.

Notwithstanding which there are pronounced differences among these hospitals, their costs and their primary clientele.

Interesting.

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I don't have a problem with that as it stands, however there are procedures for taking blood pressure and I've never seen them followed in any of my visits to the hospital. In fact on one occasion I suggested to the nurse that the machine needed recalibrating, if indeed it had ever been calibrated in it's life, because it gave an abnormally high blood pressure for me?

She didn't know what I was talking about of course, so I went to the ENT room next door (just a few metres away) and got my blood pressure taken then by another machine and it was fairly normal, far lower than the previous reading, and I showed it to her and there was a blank look on her face!

yearly work permit in the hospital reads always 10 points lower than in the small clinic. Could be coincident or just one is not calibrated

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Agree! Readings should be taken in a consistent manner e.g. while sitting after you have been sitting for 10 minutes. I have found the whole arm machines incredibly inaccurate both at mobile blood donor sessions in Thailand and at my GP's practice in UK. They now use the small machines presumably because so many donors (such as myself) failed at every attempt.

• Like 1

A common issue with BP readings in Thai hospitals is they don't adjust cuff to arm size.

Often they have a second cuff right there but will still measure using sn obviously too small cuff. You have to speak up snd tell them (nicely) to use larger cuff.

The machine thingies are highly unreliable. 

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

A common issue with BP readings in Thai hospitals is they don't adjust cuff to arm size.

Often they have a second cuff right there but will still measure using sn obviously too small cuff. You have to speak up snd tell them (nicely) to use larger cuff.

The machine thingies are highly unreliable. 

My guess always was that they use it only to see if there is something extreme that needs attention...dangerous low or high blood pressure......

6 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Agree! Readings should be taken in a consistent manner e.g. while sitting after you have been sitting for 10 minutes. I have found the whole arm machines incredibly inaccurate both at mobile blood donor sessions in Thailand and at my GP's practice in UK. They now use the small machines presumably because so many donors (such as myself) failed at every attempt.

????I remember busy stressful day in office I hunt urgently to clinic in the full heat walking urgently. They sit me on a chair that did not allow me to sit comfortable and lean back there take the pressure and tell me I am on the edge on what is still normal and I should watch it????....yesyes...ignoring her.

• Love It 1

I’ve gone to BKK Dental Hospital in BKK for11 years.    Last year decided to try ASSAVANT dental.

Was a nightmare.    Overcharge me , paid for tooth repair I never got, cleaning was a torture trip.

ended up going back to BKK dental to fix all the mistakes.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

"They" were specific doctors.

Every hospital has doctors of widely varying caliber.

One should always carefully pre-select the doctor.

I have been  an inpatient at that hospital twice and outpatient countless times. Always  after carefully pre-selecting the doctor. Care ranged from excellent to acceptable.

Unfortunately, most people don't have the resources to carefully screen the doctors, particularly in an emergency situation. One goes to a large private hospital based on the assumption that one can have confidence in the quality of care. Clearly, that's not the case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Unfortunately, most people don't have the resources to carefully screen the doctors, particularly in an emergency situation. One goes to a large private hospital based on the assumption that one can have confidence in the quality of care. Clearly, that's not the case.

And not everyone knows it. In Austria the thinking is: This is a good hospital, this is a bad hospital. Maybe the department but looking for a specific doc is new to me.

2 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

One goes to a large private hospital based on the assumption that one can have confidence in the quality of care. Clearly, that's not the case.

Indeed it is not.

In no country that I know of is there such a thing as a hospital where all the doctors are very good.

Reminds me of many, many years ago when I worked in  a US hospital which, although it did open heart surgery, did so on only a small scale - only 2 cardio-thoracic surgeons (we are talking long before stents revolutionized things, back when it was bypass surgery or nothing and the risks of such surgery were higher. )

The father of one of the nurses needed open heart surgery, and she arranged for him to have it there. Many were surprised that she did not steer him to a hospital with a higher volume of such cases , more expertise etc. Her reason was simple: "Here, I know who (meaning doctors and nurses) to avoid".  Made total sense.

Many TV members are unfamiliar with private medical care. Cost aside, a major difference between public and private facilities is the extent of doctor autonomy in the latter. In public facilities there are usually department-wide protocols and the like. Not usually the case in a private one.  2 doctors in adjacent offices in the same private hospital can and often will treat the same case differently.  Indeed, doctors are usually not "fixed" in a single hospital but rather have privileges in several. Definitely the case in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been using the Bangkok Hospital Dental Center in Bangkok since before it moved to the "new" building on Phetchaburi about twenty years ago. I use them, my wife uses them, and my nineteen-year-old son uses them. Along with cleanings and check-ups. I've had a root-canal, a crown and two implants. My wife has mostly just had a few new fillings and quite a few old fillings replaced. I do not think my son has had to have a filling on any of his permanent teeth, but he had to wear braces for a few years. 

It is (I guess) a little pricy, but we have all been nothing but delighted with the services we have received there. My son's primary dentist was so good with kids I do not think he cried once, and he actually looked forward to going, and even wanted to be a dentist for a while.

Coincidentally, (no pun intended) my boy had his cleaning last week (THB2,132) and my wife and I had ours done today (~3,600 each) for thorough, 45-minute sessions. 

I've had the same dentist for 15-20 years, and she is (as far as I can tell) the best I've ever had. I'm not changing. It is very convenient with parking and whatnot as well. 

Incidentally, the "space-age" looking third floor is pretty new. The older floors are very nice, albeit much more traditional. The "new" floor has a digital "lab" with a 3D-router you can watch and a nice display of dental appliances which is pretty cool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I've been using the Bangkok Hospital Dental Center in Bangkok since before it moved to the "new" building on Phetchaburi about twenty years ago. I use them, my wife uses them, and my nineteen-year-old son uses them. Along with cleanings and check-ups. I've had a root-canal, a crown and two implants. My wife has mostly just had a few new fillings and quite a few old fillings replaced. I do not think my son has had to have a filling on any of his permanent teeth, but he had to wear braces for a few years. 

It is (I guess) a little pricy, but we have all been nothing but delighted with the services we have received there. My son's primary dentist was so good with kids I do not think he cried once, and he actually looked forward to going, and even wanted to be a dentist for a while.

Coincidentally, (no pun intended) my boy had his cleaning last week (THB2,132) and my wife and I had ours done today (~3,600 each) for thorough, 45-minute sessions. 

I've had the same dentist for 15-20 years, and she is (as far as I can tell) the best I've ever had. I'm not changing. It is very convenient with parking and whatnot as well. 

Incidentally, the "space-age" looking third floor is pretty new. The older floors are very nice, albeit much more traditional. The "new" floor has a digital "lab" with a 3D-router you can watch and a nice display of dental appliances which is pretty cool. 

my dental cleaning always was the same if not more expensive (don't recall) so BKK hospital Dental care is not an increase for me. I only keept at the Asavanant because the doc there rescued an implant that was almost sure gone.....flushed it with antibiotics and gave me 2 different pretty hard antibiotics and some harsh mouthwash...told me 95% sure it does not work, but replacing an implant is so bad that a 5% chance is worth trying...but it is a sure goner....
It did work, still have it, costs were almost nothing (maybe 2.000 incl XRay and antibiotics)...And that doc is not at BKK Hospital Dental care...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, h90 said:

my dental cleaning always was the same if not more expensive (don't recall) so BKK hospital Dental care is not an increase for me. I only keept at the Asavanant because the doc there rescued an implant that was almost sure gone.....flushed it with antibiotics and gave me 2 different pretty hard antibiotics and some harsh mouthwash...told me 95% sure it does not work, but replacing an implant is so bad that a 5% chance is worth trying...but it is a sure goner....
It did work, still have it, costs were almost nothing (maybe 2.000 incl XRay and antibiotics)...And that doc is not at BKK Hospital Dental care...

Who was your doc at Asavanant? 

My "primary" at BHDC is Dr. Pintippa. 

23 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Ouch, you certainly pay a premium for living in Bangkok. I went to the Bangkok Hospital Hat Yai dental clinic just three weeks ago for my annual check-up, scale and polish, and that only cost me Bht1,650.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 11:41 AM, Sheryl said:

BDMS is not another name for Bangkok Hospital. Rather it is the corporation which owns them.

Also owns Bumrungrad,

BDMS does not own Bumrungrad.

They did acquire more and more shares of Bumrungrad (afaik they never held a majority), but sold them all not so long ago.

BTW BDMS also owns a chain of pharmacies ("Safe Drug"), which, surprisingly, are not overpriced. One of these pharmacies is located right inside Bangkok General Hospital ( = the original Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok)

BTW2 BDMS has repeatedly tried to expand outside of Thailand (Abu Dhabi, Cambodia, China). The only success story seems to be Phnom Penh.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:17 AM, Sheryl said:

Asavanant also has been recommended by many.

Obviously anytime a drastic recommendation is made, should seek second opinions.

Your wife may have misunderstiod what she was told. Almost never recommended to remove all teeth and whole mouth implants are rarely done.

actually it is common with people with addiction issues. I know two women around 40 years old who had all their teeth removed. A horrible dental dilemma. They had insurance as they were school teachers.

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Who was your doc at Asavanant? 

My "primary" at BHDC is Dr. Pintippa. 

Dr.Kanokwan  Nisapakultorn....always very happy with treatment and the honesty she answered questions

• Like 1

6 hours ago, d4dang said:

actually it is common with people with addiction issues. I know two women around 40 years old who had all their teeth removed. A horrible dental dilemma. They had insurance as they were school teachers.

yes but she has no addiction issues beside smoking....teeth are healthy and no pain, but a bit colored, no cavities and we aren't young anymore. And there was no XRay made (so he may have seen something). So really no justification to remove them all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, h90 said:

yes but she has no addiction issues beside smoking....teeth are healthy and no pain, but a bit colored, no cavities and we aren't young anymore. And there was no XRay made (so he may have seen something). So really no justification to remove them all.

Are you 100% certain they told here to remove all her teeth...or just "all" of the teeth in question?

I really doubt the former

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Are you 100% certain they told here to remove all her teeth...or just "all" of the teeth in question?

I really doubt the former

She said so....I was not there...and she was very upset. Damages was only 1 teeth when she went there. And the argument was that new ones are more beautiful...but again I wasn't there myself. She found a new dentist and is very happy with it.....

Fun fact off topic....I searched a lot and read the comments on google reviews and that this one is good and she was happy there. Than for fun a few days later I put in the Google AI Bard. What is the best dentist near me (and give the post code). It gave 4 dentists and that was the first and highest recommendation. It told it read all reviews and they were best for this dentist. And the "bad" dentist was not in the list....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, h90 said:

Mission Hospital has dental care.

14 hours ago, Lorry said:

BDMS does not own Bumrungrad.

They did acquire more and more shares of Bumrungrad (afaik they never held a majority), but sold them all not so long ago.

BTW BDMS also owns a chain of pharmacies ("Safe Drug"), which, surprisingly, are not overpriced. One of these pharmacies is located right inside Bangkok General Hospital ( = the original Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok)

BTW2 BDMS has repeatedly tried to expand outside of Thailand (Abu Dhabi, Cambodia, China). The only success story seems to be Phnom Penh.

Bumroonggrad/sp? used to have an Immi office,,,,