Renewal of UK Passport using Key Visa Thailand Company

I am a British Citizen retired and living in Udonthani, Thailand and my UK passport expires in June 2024.

To avoid having to go to Bangkok for renewal of my passport I am considering using Key Visa Thailand Company next month after my 1 year extension to expedite the renewal for a fee of 5000 THB not including the UK passport renewal costs.

I was wondering if any Members have any recent experience of using this Company for UK passport renewal.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by vibration
  • Like 1

I also live in Udon Thani and used Key Visa's facilities about this time last year.

My Passport took an age to appear - something like 18 weeks - but the blame for that is fully on the UK Passport Office, not Key Visa.

Darren McGarry was very helpful in keeping me informed as far as was possible with the quite atrocious service that UK passport holders are supplied with. 

For example - VFS Global in Bangkok supply a reference number which is of zero use in actually trying to track where your passport is in the system.  Her Majesty's (in those days) Government took 4 weeks to extract the money from my bank account, but a further 10 weeks to tell me that my photographs were not acceptable. (rant over).

Unfortunately Darren passed away late last year. 

I certainly would have had no issue with highly recommending Key Visa if he was still alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ian47 said:

I also live in Udon Thani and used Key Visa's facilities about this time last year.

My Passport took an age to appear - something like 18 weeks - but the blame for that is fully on the UK Passport Office, not Key Visa.

Darren McGarry was very helpful in keeping me informed as far as was possible with the quite atrocious service that UK passport holders are supplied with. 

For example - VFS Global in Bangkok supply a reference number which is of zero use in actually trying to track where your passport is in the system.  Her Majesty's (in those days) Government took 4 weeks to extract the money from my bank account, but a further 10 weeks to tell me that my photographs were not acceptable. (rant over).

I certainly would have had no issue with highly recommending Key Visa if he was still alive.

I disagree with that 100%.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

Just make sure the agent sets an expectation, I used one that waited 6 weeks before even lodging the application, was probably trying to take a batch of passports to save money.

This 6 week delay on top of a further 3 month processing time, nearly ruined my plans.

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian47 said:

HMPO will make payment deduction immediately on receipt

of application in the UK, which suggests delay in submitting 

to VFS at this end. Out of interest, who told you your photos

we're not acceptable HMPO, VFS or Key Visa.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ian47 said:

I hear Darren's wife is running the business now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stereolab said:

Have you considered going to Chiang Mai and using the VFS service, they are based next to the Maya Shopping Mall, easy parking, plenty of hotels etc. Very efficient service.

It is easier to get from Udon Thani to Bangkok than it is to Chiang Mai. If one is going to use an agent, either use one locally or do it by mail.

I did make the trips myself from Udon Thani the last time round, but then there were no agents. I will certainly use one the next around. (if I'm still around that is!)

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lite Beer said:

How about passing on your valuable knowledge to help other members.

I for one am renewing my passport this year and would be interested to see it.

It was a new passport acquired in the UK while I was on holiday there and my old passport with my re entry permit was not returned to me before I had to return to Thailand. I then had to enter Thailand on a visa exempt meaning I had to start my retirement extensions all over again and McGarry charged me almost double the original fee even though I had photo's of my re entry in my phone, he said immigration would not accept it. Maybe he was lying and maybe not.

There is even more to this so I had to be careful of the defamation law.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Sounds like your fault, not there's. 6Ps 

Absolute nonsense, don't make statements you know nothing about. I have only stated a part of what happened.

What is 6Ps?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

By not having your old passport, you forfeited your re-entry permit (so entirely your fault), so having to go through the process from scratch again is 100% correct. What he charged you is between you and him, and if you didn't agree with it, you should have gone to another agent, or done it yourself. 

Yes of course it was my fault that my old passport was not returned to me before I had to return to Thailand. Can't you understand plain English?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3