Inheritance Tax Avoidance

After a trip to the UK, I'm starting to think about some of my old relatives dying. I have an aunt in her 90s and my mother is 80.

Just started looking into inheritance tax and believe it is an unbelievable 40%, is this correct or am I missing something. 

My mother put her home into my name, along with sibling, 4 years ago. Not sure if this will prevent inheritance tax or not. 

My question is if there is anything else I should be doing to avoid paying tax in the UK. I am a Thai citizen, would this avoid paying the tax? If so, maybe the properties should all be put in my name now ????

• Like 1

if the House was still in your Mum's name and she was living in it when she dies she would would have had an inheritance tax free allowance of £500,000 or £ 1 million depending on  the date that your father died assuming that he passed his entire estate including his £325,000 inheritance tax free allowance directly over to your mother

£325,000 inheritance tax free allowance plus £175,000 residence nil-rate band

Unfortunely as she has put the house in your name and your siblings names she no longer qualifies for the extra £175,000  residence nil-rate band

Her current inheritance tax free allowance is £325,000

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/inheritance-tax-residence-nil-rate-band

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

if the House was still in your Mum's name and she was living in it when she dies she would would have had an inheritance tax free allowance of £500,000 or £ 1 million depending on  the date that your father died assuming that he passed his entire estate including his £325,000 inheritance tax free allowance directly over to your mother

£325,000 inheritance tax free allowance plus £175,000 residence nil-rate band

Unfortunely as she has put the house in your name and your siblings names she no longer qualifies for the extra £175,000  residence nil-rate band

Her current inheritance tax free allowance is £325,000

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/inheritance-tax-residence-nil-rate-band

The above is based on figures today there have been some rumblings that the next UK Goverment might reduce the current levels of inheritance tax free allowances

• Like 2

What @RayC said about Power of Attorney is correct

The 2 types of LPA

There are 2 types of LPA: property and financial affairs, and health and welfare.

Can be started here

https://www.lastingpowerofattorney.service.gov.uk/home

Banks and solictors offer this service but at a huge markup

The forms can be completed by anyone just read the help sheet very careful and once you have the documents they should be treated in the same manner as your house deeds the office of public guardian ( they register and issue the documents) don't provide additional copies if you lose them

• Like 2