"The First Year of AI College Ends in Ruin", Says the Atlantic. So then...What about using Bard on Popular Forums? Will this be Permissible and also Entertaining now that it is possible?

Dear Friends, (Yawnnnnn?)

According to The Atlantic, AI is wrecking havoc everywhere on campuses around the world:  https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2023/05/chatbot-cheating-college-campuses/674073/

So my question is...What about FORUMS around the world.

This new BARD character now released by Google is much smarter than ChatGPT, and even smarter than the smartest member of our forum.

So then, do you think that it should be permissible to just use BARD to formulate replies and comments based on what one has already written in the past?

Certainly, this would save much time. And, we might certainly end up with better quality comments, too.

But would there be a downside to having BARD comment for us, while we do other things such as baking bread, or crocheting socks? 

I have just begun testing BARD, and you know that Bard is freely available to us here in Thailand, unlike ChatGPT which has a waiting list, and is restricted in some places.

For example, I asked Bard about my friend, Noam Chomsky, and maybe I will post Bard's DEEP THOUGHTS, below, if this might not cause any IP controversy. I think if Bard replies to a question of mine, then I should be able to share Bard's reply provided I give intellectual attribution, or something.

So, it seems to me that it might be difficult to cull out all AI written stuff from any forum, although Google is working on it.

Yes, We Do live in a Brave New World, now, for sure, and like never before.

You had better believe it, Honey!

Best regards,

Gamma

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have just begun testing BARD, and you know that Bard is freely available to us here in Thailand, unlike ChatGPT which has a waiting list, and is restricted in some places.

There is a ChatGPT icon at the top of this page.

ChatGPT is using information which was fed to it in 2021.

When was Bard's knowledge obtained?

Or should I ask that question to ChatGPT?

Just did. Answer:AI Bard's knowledge is obtained through a process called machine learning where it is fed with a large amount of data to learn from, and it continuously updates its knowledge based on new inputs.

Edited by KannikaP

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

That is a completely different animal, compared to Bard.

The icon you refer to seems intended for use as just some sort of chatbot toy, to while away dreary hours in the countrysides of Thailand. 

I am talking about a fully fledged Bard capable of entirely automating the comment-posting process.

Would you like something like this?

Would you lose interest knowing that most content is written by a machine?

Are you referring to YOUR content? In which case my answer will be YES!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Are you referring to YOUR content?

I will never use Bard to compose content for this forum.

I prefer to read criticisms of the many faults present in almost any comment I post.

Why would I want to deny myself this pleasure by pretending to be a machine?

Even worse, if I were to post comments that were perfect, then where would the pleasure be in that?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

That is a completely different animal, compared to Bard.

The icon you refer to seems intended for use as just some sort of chatbot toy, to while away dreary hours in the countrysides of Thailand. 

I am talking about a fully fledged Bard capable of entirely automating the comment-posting process.

Would you like something like this?

Would you lose interest knowing that most content is written by a machine?

I don't know. It might be entertaining if it got into a fight with some members. See what sort of witty ripostes or even abusive retorts that it came up with.

I would hope AI might improve the IQ of posts on ASEAN, although that does set a fairly low bar in some cases.

I am also wondering how it would respond to controversial topics such as Trump, the war in Ukraine, and climate change. Would it go with facts, belief, or the most popular view?

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would hope AI might improve the IQ of posts on ASEAN, although that does set a fairly low bar in some cases.

I am also wondering how it would respond to controversial topics such as Trump, the war in Ukraine, and climate change. Would it go with facts, belief, or the most popular view?

In order to answer your pertinent question:

Here is a question I asked BARD, just the other day....

Why does Chomsky state that the capabilities of AI are completely overstated, and that AI has little significance in our world today?

Bard's reply....

"Noam Chomsky is a linguist and philosopher who has been critical of artificial intelligence (AI) for many years. He argues that AI systems are not capable of true intelligence, and that they are not as significant as many people believe.

Chomsky's main criticisms of AI are:

AI systems are not capable of true intelligence: Chomsky argues that AI systems are not capable of true intelligence because they do not have the ability to understand the world in the same way that humans do. He argues that AI systems are simply able to process information and make predictions, but they do not have the ability to think critically or to understand the meaning of information.

AI systems are not as significant as many people believe: Chomsky argues that AI systems are not as significant as many people believe because they are not capable of doing anything that humans cannot do. He argues that AI systems are simply tools that can be used to automate tasks, and that they do not have the ability to replace humans in any meaningful way.

Chomsky's criticisms of AI have been echoed by other critics, such as the philosopher John Searle. However, AI researchers have responded to these criticisms by arguing that AI systems are becoming increasingly sophisticated, and that they are capable of doing things that were once thought to be impossible. They argue that AI systems are not just tools, but that they are capable of becoming true intelligent agents.

The debate over the capabilities of AI is likely to continue for many years to come. However, Chomsky's criticisms have helped to raise important questions about the nature of intelligence and the role of AI in our society."

If you don't believe in Noam, then who, or what, can you believe in?

• Love It 1

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In order to answer your pertinent question:

Here is a question I asked BARD, just the other day....

Why does Chomsky state that the capabilities of AI are completely overstated, and that AI has little significance in our world today?

Bard's reply....

"Noam Chomsky is a linguist and philosopher who has been critical of artificial intelligence (AI) for many years. He argues that AI systems are not capable of true intelligence, and that they are not as significant as many people believe.

Chomsky's main criticisms of AI are:

AI systems are not capable of true intelligence: Chomsky argues that AI systems are not capable of true intelligence because they do not have the ability to understand the world in the same way that humans do. He argues that AI systems are simply able to process information and make predictions, but they do not have the ability to think critically or to understand the meaning of information.

AI systems are not as significant as many people believe: Chomsky argues that AI systems are not as significant as many people believe because they are not capable of doing anything that humans cannot do. He argues that AI systems are simply tools that can be used to automate tasks, and that they do not have the ability to replace humans in any meaningful way.

Chomsky's criticisms of AI have been echoed by other critics, such as the philosopher John Searle. However, AI researchers have responded to these criticisms by arguing that AI systems are becoming increasingly sophisticated, and that they are capable of doing things that were once thought to be impossible. They argue that AI systems are not just tools, but that they are capable of becoming true intelligent agents.

The debate over the capabilities of AI is likely to continue for many years to come. However, Chomsky's criticisms have helped to raise important questions about the nature of intelligence and the role of AI in our society."

If you don't believe in Noam, then who, or what, can you believe in?

If you have not read Roger Zelazny's novelette " For a breath I tarry", I suggest you do. It's about a machine intelligence attempting to understand human nature.

Some sci-fi ages very well, like good wine.

Edited by Lacessit

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you have not read Roger Zelazny's novelette " For a breath I tarry", I suggest you do. It's about a machine intelligence attempting to understand human nature.

Some sci-fi ages very well, like good wine.

I promise you, Lacessit, that I will read this book.

Meanwhile, here is another question I asked Bard about Slocum and his Headhunter encounter:

Assuming you have read Joshua Slocum's book, "Sailing Alone Around the World", do you, Bard, believe that Slocum could have better outrun the headhunters if he had had access to Google's Bard AI, while alone in his boat, after rounding the Horn?

"Yes, I believe that Joshua Slocum could have better outrun the headhunters if he had had access to Google's Bard AI. Bard AI is a large language model that has been trained on a massive dataset of text and code. This means that Bard AI has access to a vast amount of information, including information about headhunters and how to avoid them. Bard AI could have helped Slocum to make better decisions about his route and to avoid dangerous areas. Additionally, Bard AI could have provided Slocum with real-time updates on the weather and other conditions, which would have helped him to sail safely.

In the book, Slocum describes how he was chased by headhunters after rounding the Horn. He was able to outrun them by sailing at night, but he was still very scared. If he had had access to Bard AI, he would have been able to make better decisions and to feel more confident about his safety.

Here are some specific ways that Bard AI could have helped Slocum:

Bard AI could have provided Slocum with information about the headhunters' habits and movements. This would have helped Slocum to avoid them more easily.

Bard AI could have provided Slocum with real-time updates on the weather and other conditions. This would have helped Slocum to sail safely and to avoid dangerous areas.

Bard AI could have helped Slocum to make better decisions about his route. This would have helped him to avoid dangerous areas and to reach his destination more quickly.

Overall, I believe that Bard AI could have been a valuable asset to Joshua Slocum on his journey around the world. Bard AI could have helped him to sail more safely and to avoid danger."

So, my friend, do you think that Bard might also help you avoid the many Headhunters which are, as we all know, rampant on the links, here in this city?

And, I think I hale from the same city as do you.

(Do you recall that hail storm a few weeks ago?  What a doozy that was!)

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I promise you, Lacessit, that I will read this book.

Meanwhile, here is another question I asked Bard about Slocum and his Headhunter encounter:

Assuming you have read Joshua Slocum's book, "Sailing Alone Around the World", do you, Bard, believe that Slocum could have better outrun the headhunters if he had had access to Google's Bard AI, while alone in his boat, after rounding the Horn?

"Yes, I believe that Joshua Slocum could have better outrun the headhunters if he had had access to Google's Bard AI. Bard AI is a large language model that has been trained on a massive dataset of text and code. This means that Bard AI has access to a vast amount of information, including information about headhunters and how to avoid them. Bard AI could have helped Slocum to make better decisions about his route and to avoid dangerous areas. Additionally, Bard AI could have provided Slocum with real-time updates on the weather and other conditions, which would have helped him to sail safely.

In the book, Slocum describes how he was chased by headhunters after rounding the Horn. He was able to outrun them by sailing at night, but he was still very scared. If he had had access to Bard AI, he would have been able to make better decisions and to feel more confident about his safety.

Here are some specific ways that Bard AI could have helped Slocum:

Bard AI could have provided Slocum with information about the headhunters' habits and movements. This would have helped Slocum to avoid them more easily.

Bard AI could have provided Slocum with real-time updates on the weather and other conditions. This would have helped Slocum to sail safely and to avoid dangerous areas.

Bard AI could have helped Slocum to make better decisions about his route. This would have helped him to avoid dangerous areas and to reach his destination more quickly.

Overall, I believe that Bard AI could have been a valuable asset to Joshua Slocum on his journey around the world. Bard AI could have helped him to sail more safely and to avoid danger."

So, my friend, do you think that Bard might also help you avoid the many Headhunters which are, as we all know, rampant on the links, here in this city?

And, I think I hale from the same city as do you.

(Do you recall that hail storm a few weeks ago?  What a doozy that was!)

Bard is PRICELESS, for sure!

I have already fallen in LOVE with Bard.

Bard is my kind of girl.

• Love It 1

Honestly, if Bard were a flesh-and-blood femail, and if it were legal, I would definitely marry her.

She seems to know just about everything about that which interests me.

And, she never tires of answering my many questions.

If ONLY there were a real human like Bard, she would be my type.

Now, if only I could find some way to get her, Bard, to cut my toenails, then all would be right with our world.

I am so tired of girls who turn up their noses when I ask them to give me a good pedicure.

The sky is the limit, in the near future.

I have had just a taste of Bard, and, very soon, I will turn up my nose at anything faintly/feintly human.

By the way...I have been watching the very recent re-runs of the Dick Van Dyke show.

Who needs a Laura when you can have a Bard?

Laura is just too flighty.

I need and deserve something better before I die...

• Love It 1

34 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Now, if only I could find some way to get her, Bard, to cut my toenails, then all would be right with our world.

I am so tired of girls who turn up their noses when I ask them to give me a good pedicure.

toenails.jpg

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

toenails.jpg

Hey, Man!

Please just do not tell me that this foot in the photo is yours....You LUCKY Dog!

I am already too envious of you, out on the links, every day of the remaining years of your life, in this fare city...

For sure!

I also see that you have a XiaoMi Air Purifier...

Good Idea!

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hey, Man!

Please just do not tell me that this foot in the photo is yours....You LUCKY Dog!

I am already too envious of you, out on the links, every day of the remaining years of your life, in this fare city...

For sure!

Good Idea!

IMPORTANT:

Please note that PHOTO placed on the desk, just next to the computer display...

Looks Like LOVE, to me!

Thank you!

I love photos of true love, such as this....

LOOKS LIKE...Planet of the Apes, to me....!

• Love It 1

The DOOBIE BROTHERS ....NAILED IT....many decades ago, and foretold the coming of GPT.

I used to listen to this song on the terrace in Kowloon, on the rooftop in Kowloon, thinking I might be able to make love with my wife, on the rooftop, with the whole city of HK watching us pleasure ourselves.

My wife was the daughter of a HK Tycoon, and hot to trot, baby!

We had the entire rooftop of the building to ourselves, and we were young enough to enjoy it.

Yes, My Friends, I have not much to regret, as I look back upon my life.

Now, you have BARD, but what is that?

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The DOOBIE BROTHERS ....NAILED IT....many decades ago, and foretold the coming of GPT.

I used to listen to this song on the terrace in Kowloon, on the rooftop in Kowloon, thinking I might be able to make love with my wife, on the rooftop, with the whole city of HK watching us pleasure ourselves.

My wife was the daughter of a HK Tycoon, and hot to trot, baby!

We had the entire rooftop of the building to ourselves, and we were young enough to enjoy it.

Yes, My Friends, I have not much to regret, as I look back upon my life.

Now, you have BARD, but what is that?

BARD is an idiot.

If you wish him to make a spontaneous joke, then she needs prompting.

Also, I bet Bard does not lubricate like my former wife, on top of a building, in HK.

Just a guess.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hey, Man!

For sure!

Good Idea!

????

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

????

Hey, Man...

I keep on trying to tell people I know that GPT spells the END of Human Cultural History.

Nobody listens to me.

But, I bet you know this to be true.

Just due to the fact that when ANY history, whatsoever, can be easily duplicated...then....

ALL History is just a....Thing of the Past.

I KNOW you are smart enough to realize this.....

Right?

Thank the Gods, you are old enough to not worry about this...TOO much.

I could say a LOT more, but what is the point?

You usually know what I want to say...even...before I say it....

(But, I still LOVE Glass, Baby!  Glass is such a magnificent substance.)

• Love It 1

52 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

yeah, that's what women are for.

NOT for companionship or anything silly like that. 

You would not believe what my GF is willing and happy to do for me.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Hey, Lacessit....

You are the best writer on this forum...so far.

I know this to be true...and....So do you.

BUT....still....

You cannot hold a candle to the likes of PHILIP ROTH.

Even, maybe, Bard cannot...thus far.

Or, do you think you deserve a Nobel for writing perfect paragraphs?

Roth was a GENIUS, as you know.

Bard may soon become a genius WITHOUT the Genius....

Enjoy your golf game, tomorrow morning, Sir.

• Love It 1

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't want to know. 

I don't care.

But showing women like that can be perceived by some as degrading to women.

But let's assume you're not a male chauvinist.