Re-etry permit and Non O

Hello

I have Non O based on retirement expiring Sept 2023, my wife is dependant on my visa expiring same date. We have to go back to UK in June and we wish to apply for O-A visa. The problem is, we only have 2 weeks to visit and we cannot apply until we are in the UK, as they need to see passport pages.  Plus, we have to go collect the Police Check and Medical Certificate and get it scanned before applying.

So, my question is, if we were to get a re-entry permit before we leave Thailand (just in-case our visa is not issued in time), would we have problems trying to enter on a new O-A visa with an existing re-entry permit for the still valid Non O?

I realise, we can just re-enter with the old visa and leave again before September to activate the O-A. But we specifically want to know if the re-entry permit will cause problems for the new visa. We have a lot of animals to look after in Thailand and being away is extremely difficult for us.

Thanks

I fully understand all the pros and cons of O-A vs O but it still suits us better to go O-A. We have insurance that covers O-A requirements anyway, so the only additional cost is the Police Report.

I won't go in to all details but our IO is rather unhelpful with regards what is normal for other IO. For instance, I could not apply in-country for the 90 days under consideration (he simply does not allow this) and was advised by IO to go to KL - with my wife -  for us both to apply for 90 days, me as retirement and her as trailing spouse. My visa was accepted, hers rejected. We contacted our IO who said, oh - KL changed - go to Phnom Penh. We go there - rejected. Come back with Tourist visa for wife. Go to IO for my extension - accepted. Wife tries to now get on my visa - rejected - Told - go home to UK. We sent our details to KL, Phnom Penh, Singapore and Laos and was told they no longer offer trailing spouse on Non O, only Non B. So, we got an agent - now accepted, go to our IO to pick up passport and stamp for wife. We are going to have to go through all this again in a few months and then every single year. He does not allow wife to ride partners visa, separate application and 800k in bank.

So, as you can see, O-A is much better for us as we don't need to or want to deal with IO or agents. We get to keep 2 x 800k in UK, of which the interest pays for the insurance.

So, thanks for the advice but I just need to clarify the re-entry permit situation.

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If he had a reentry permit from a non O or a multi entry visa such as a a ME Non O ....his application for a new non O-A would be rejected. 

So, it's better to not get the re-entry permit, then our visas are effectively cancelled once we leave, ready for a new application?

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, your plan is crazy.

You make it sound as though you can return on ONE non O-A.

We each intend to apply for our own O-A visa. Originally, my was not 50 but now she is.

Edited by kebabby

1 hour ago, kebabby said:

So, it's better to not get the re-entry permit, then our visas are effectively cancelled once we leave, ready for a new application?

That is correct.

It's your permission of stay that ends when exit Thailand without a reentry permit.

You could then apply for non O-A in UK.

If it suits you to return to UK every 2 years you could live in Thailand with ongoing non O-A visas

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kebabby said:

So, as you can see, O-A is much better for us as we don't need to or want to deal with IO or agents. We get to keep 2 x 800k in UK, of which the interest pays for the insurance.

In your case applying in UK for a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa for yourself and your wife, might indeed be the best option. 

This because in your case:

- You already have a Non Imm O-A compliant Health-Insurance policy - that you are happy with and covers your needs;

- You plan to visit UK every 1-2 years, and would apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa at that occasion.  

Under those circumstances the Non Imm O-A Visa is still an attractive option. 

However, be aware that:

- The coverage requirements for a Non Imm O-A Health-Insurance policy have been raised to 3 Million THB, and policies meeting that requirement are not cheap (so I am doubtful that the interest of the 800K you won't need to park on a Thai personal  bank-account, will actually cover for that);

- That the expiry date of your Health-Insurance policy, will determine the Permit to stay you will be provided when entering Thailand (so you need to ensure that your H-I Insurance policy date is aligned with the 1-year period that the Non Imm O-A Visa will provide you).

• Like 1