Durian dispute turns violent after Chinese tourists accuse Thai vendor of selling fake fruit

webfact

21 hours ago, bdenner said:

Surely no half smart vendor would try to pass off a pineapple (closest example I can come up with) as a Durian. AND who pays 500 Baht for them?

Maybe a small jack fruit or bread fruit looks more like it.... an oversized conker (horse chestnut). That is more intriguing...... perhaps a pre-cut and plastic wrapped piece, and the flesh was actually two old omelets. 

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...yet the cops make the accused vendor pay the Chinese 1,000bht".

Jeez, it was not reported that the police made the vendor pay anything, it was reported that the vendor gave them B1000, voluntarily, to bring the farce to an end.

NIT Picking yet AGAIN. The police TOOK everyone to the station to find a solution. do you really think the vendor voluntary gave away 1,000 baht without Coercion from the cops. if you do you're crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

A Jack-fruit maybe more or less the same color, but a Durian unlike a Jack-fruit has seriously sharp spikes all over it, I tried opening one once, never again.

That's apart from the smell.

There is a trick to opening durian correctly.

I picked up some local durian yesterday for 40 baht a kilo. It is the best fruit by a mile.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goat said:

There is a trick to opening durian correctly.

I picked up some local durian yesterday for 40 baht a kilo. It is the best fruit by a mile.

Yes I like it too, although my last one seemed to lack taste. I get the Mrs to open mine and she hates them!

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes I like it too, although my last one seemed to lack taste. I get the Mrs to open mine and she hates them!

Maybe you were sold a fake?

Depends on the breed. My favorite for taste is the Saliga.

Mon Thong is good for fruit to seed size.

But durian baan is the best value.

you are lucky you dont have to share with your Mrs.

On 5/23/2023 at 9:10 AM, phetphet said:

How would you fake a Durian?

In Thailand, there are over 200 varieties of durian, apparently they thought they got mongtong, the preferred and most expensive one but got a cheaper variety.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 8:46 AM, webfact said:

Wichai said the tourist accused him of selling them two “fake” durians for 1,200 baht on May 13. They demanded a refund, said Wichai.

Someone, please confirm for me that they wanted to return non-eaten durian. 

Hey, loud Chinese Durian buyer, are you wanting a full refund on the stems? Where is the Durian?

3 hours ago, bendejo said:

Sorry.  Here, I give you new style durian.  No need to cut, just hold the handle and pull the ring, opens automatically.

Yongda Huang Harris held after weapons arsenal, grenade found in luggage | Travel | Travel News ...

I tried to laugh. Oh Lord Jesus I did. I didn't.

6 hours ago, djayz said:

I never thought I'd see the day when people would argue over fruit... Now I've seen it all. 

Not so unusual, happened all the time with Chinese customers and the rip off, pre-packaged fruit at the 2nd Rd end of Mike's.