Cathay Pacific apologises for staff mocking non-English speakers on flight

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo Courtesy of Flickr

by Jenn

Cathay Pacific Airways issued an apology following allegations of discrimination against non-English speakers by its flight attendants. The accusations surfaced in a viral post on Chinese social media, causing widespread concern and prompting the airline to take action.

The incident occurred on flight CX987, travelling from Chengdu in southwestern China to Hong Kong. In response, Cathay Pacific suspended the flight attendants involved and initiated an internal investigation. The airline stated that any confirmed violations of its rules and professional ethics through “inappropriate words and deeds” would be met with serious consequences.

A passenger on the Chengdu to Hong Kong flight claimed in an online post that the flight attendants ridiculed passengers in English and Cantonese. They allegedly mocked others who asked for a carpet instead of a blanket in English, reported Bangkok Post.

“If you cannot say blanket in English, you cannot have it … carpet is on the floor, feel free if you want to lie on it.” While the authenticity of the clip could not be verified by Reuters, it sparked significant criticism on social media.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/world/cathay-pacific-apologises-for-staff-mocking-non-english-speakers-on-flight

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I find it really hard to imagine cabin staff behaving like this with otherwise normally behaving passengers. Maybe they tried to be funny or some such (also a fail in my opinion but not a sacking offense) and need to apologize.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but those are the kinds of comments usually made in the crew debriefing room after the flight when letting off steam. When they can safely say what they think about some of the unpleasant, antisocial and ignorant pillocks who manage to book flights and actually find their way to an airport these days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I remember insulting clients/customers ever being in any job description I ever signed.

There’s a simple fix, fire them.

The workers United shall never be defeated. What if she had 10 years as an employee, few sick days, well regarded, filled shifts when required. Then makes a fairly tame joke. Possibly had a bad day. Give her a training session on polite behaviour and put her back in the frey of what likely often is a pretty painful job to have.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:11 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The workers United shall never be defeated. What if she had 10 years as an employee, few sick days, well regarded, filled shifts when required. Then makes a fairly tame joke. Possibly had a bad day. Give her a training session on polite behaviour and put her back in the frey of what likely often is a pretty painful job to have.

I agree with your sentiments. But Cx do not care about any of that. She was a BC, so a new joiner. On the salary they are on - I doubt she cares.

Plus I also think it was a set up. Who records every interaction with everyone they come into contact with?

• Like 1