31% of Thais eye battery electric vehicles as next car choice

snoop1130

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

It's actually the 'green energy' brigade pushing up UK electricity prices.

Windmills and solar require huge subsidies.

I heard there was a levy of about 30% of the electricity bill 

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

out of interest how does the use of air conditioning affect the ranges quoted for  Ev's   

If it uses electricity, surely it will reduce the battery and affect the range. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

out of interest how does the use of air conditioning affect the ranges quoted for  Ev's   

I can only speak for the MG ZS, and TBH, haven't a clue, as the AC is never off.   But I do exceed the WLTP rating of 320 kms by about 10%, and average 360 kms at speeds (90 kph) on the highway, almost double the test speed of 47 kph, w/AC on.  

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

Cherry picking a single sentence out of a very lengthy review everyone can do.

It wouldn't even surprise if Sanook was paid for the review, and the final sentence was their guarantee to get paid.

That does take away completely from the credibility of the review.  Can't say I've researched it much, as Neta V wouldn't interest me,   But those on the forum that test drove it, were only critical of the ride & suspension, and to be expected for the price point of entry level cars.

Not much different than the entry level ICEs I've owned, and wouldn't bother with again.

Neta V does offer a price point, for those on a budget, or simply want a knock around town car.  Comes in cheaper than many entry level Japanese entry level cars made TH; Vios, Varis, Mazda2 for example, 2 of which I've owned, and wouldn't buy again.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Can't say I've researched it much, as Neta V wouldn't interest me

Though in your reply to me you give the impression that you own a Neta V

But those on the forum that test drove it, were only critical of the ride & suspension, and to be expected for the price point of entry level cars.

Oh only about the drive and the suspension, what else is there in a car.

Edited by Pink Mist
Baiting portion of post removed

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

Though in your reply to me you give the impression that you own a Neta V

Not sure how you got that impression, but no.  Only experience is with MG ZS EV (2022), and actually the ICE version prior.

18 hours ago, bluejets said:

And...just like in Aus, where or what are they going to use to charge the ruddy things?

Julian Islet showed last month how he visited over 70 recharge stations and ALL but one were not working........????

Cost is prohibitive for many Aussies , how the hell are Thai going to handle that?

same in the uk, ev sales are reducing as people become aware of the lack of infrastructure, and the uk is miles ahead of thailand. uk govt target from 2030 all new cars in the uk will be electric, complete cloud cuckoo land, how will people especially in cities, with no off road parking charge their cars???

19 hours ago, h90 said:

That is what the youngsters should have done.....Unfortunately they hide like cowards while elderly went outside

Had to shop for provisions or starve. 

13 hours ago, BenStark said:

After your glorious comments I was ready to go buy such a Neta V, luckily i read a review first.

Top speed 110 Km/h, that is not cruise speed, no it is TOP speed the car can do.

And you will even not want to do that, because above 80 km/h the suspension shows some issues.

If you have to slow down at a traffic light, and in the last few meters it switches to green, then you are in for a lot of pain, because the motor stalls. Not sometimes, no EVERY time.

Manufacturer says 360 km with a full battery, though the test shows a bit different, and when battery is empty it takes EIGHT hours to fully charge again. My truck does double the km's and doesn't even take 8  minutes to fill up.

So in short, a 1000 km trip to Phuket will take you 3 days, of which 16 hours only to charge.

It's all in the test, have a look.

https://thailand.postsen.com/business/40554/Review-of-the-new-NETA-V-a-100--electric-car-worth-more-than-expected-at-a-price-of-549000-baht.html

Oh, and then we aren't done yet.

Turns out the company sells the car with a loss, and not a small one.

They lose 100.000 baht on each car produced. Wonder how that will work out in a few years, when the company has gone bankrupt, and you need warranty.

https://pandaily.com/chinese-ev-firm-neta-auto-questioned-about-exaggerated-deliveries/

Now I don't know with the Neta V, but with a Tesla, simple spare parts that have nothing to do with the performance of the car, like for example a mirror or a trunk lid cost at least 4 times that of an ICE car. Reason also why insurance premium for electric cars in the US is easily double that of a same value ICE car.

On second thought, I'll keep my truck

Your review of the review is inaccurate and misleading. Either that or you don’t know the basic facts of EVs.

It takes 8 hours to fully charge from 0-100% from a wallbox. This is done at home while you sleep. No need to spend  8 minutes at a petrol station. If charging en-route, it takes 30 mins to charge from 30-80% at a DC fast charger. 

I don’t understand what the author is trying to say about the motor cutting off the power (it’s an electric motor; it doesn’t “stall” like you tried to imply). In the first instance, the car doesn’t have a start/stop switch. That means the motor is “permanently on” whenever it detects the key. Thus the moment you depress the accelerator pedal, power is delivered to the drivetrain. I test drove the Neta. I wasn’t impressed but didn’t experience the issue that the author did.

As has been said many times and bears repeating, EVs are not ideal for long distance journeys. The Neta is a city car. In CM, you will be lucky to be able to drive above 80 kmh. However, much as I don’t really like the Neta, I will pick it over your diesel belching truck any day of the week when driving in CM old town. For starters, with a turning circle of about 5 metres, I won’t have to do any 3-point turns when making a left turn in some of CM’s city streets.

So in a jaunt around CM, it could well take you over 2 hours compared to about 30 mins in a Neta ????

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, it is what it is said:

and the uk is miles ahead of thailand. uk 

That's one opinion, apparently not shared by many who prefer to live in TH and other countries.

A country that can't feed itself, is not 'miles ahead' ... 

... "The UK imports around 46 percent of the total food it consumes and is reliant on both imports and its agricultural sector to feed its population"

https://www.trade.gov/country-commercial-guides/united-kingdom-agricultural-sectors#:~:text=The UK imports around 46,importer%2C especially of fresh produce.

"Food imports (% of merchandise imports) in Thailand was reported at 6.7453 % in 2021"

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/food-imports-percent-of-merchandise-imports-wb-data.html#:~:text=Food imports (% of merchandise imports) in Thailand was reported,compiled from officially recognized sources.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

no welfare for single moms = cheap sex.

What I don't understand about EVs is why are Thai prices 30% more than Chinese prices?

Yea ... car manufacturer definitely take advantage of pricing here.  Remember buying our Vios @ ~$20k USD at the time.  Same car in USA was $14k USD.

Strangely, 'with gov't incentives', the MG ZS EV isn't that much more here vs CH.

174,060 Chinese Yuan = 852,928.14 THB, and sells for 949,000 THB here.

The MG ZS ICE version is 2X the price here vs CH ????

78,000 CNY = 382.458 THB

Seems state owned businesses in CH, don't price gouge the citizens of CH ????

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Your review of the review is inaccurate and misleading. Either that or you don’t know the basic facts of EVs.

It's not MY review, it was written by a reputable media organisation.

It takes 8 hours to fully charge from 0-100% from a wallbox. This is done at home while you sleep. No need to spend  8 minutes at a petrol station. If charging en-route, it takes 30 mins to charge from 30-80% at a DC fast charger. 

So even more stops to recharge

I test drove the Neta. I wasn’t impressed but didn’t experience the issue that the author did.

Maybe you were not in the situation, where you had to re-accelerate form an ALMOST stand still?

As has been said many times and bears repeating, EVs are not ideal for long distance journeys. The Neta is a city car.

For short distances I buy a bicycle. When I buy a car it's because I have to travel further than the 7/11 on the corner of my street.

However, much as I don’t really like the Neta, I will pick it over your diesel belching truck any day of the week when driving in CM old town. For starters, with a turning circle of about 5 metres, I won’t have to do any 3-point turns when making a left turn in some of CM’s city streets.

So in a jaunt around CM, it could well take you over 2 hours compared to about 30 mins in a Neta ????

You say that the review is inaccurate, and then you make up things like above yourself.

Maybe you should take some driving lessons.

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea ... car manufacturer definitely take advantage of pricing here.  Remember buying our Vios @ ~$20k USD at the time.  Same car in USA was $14k USD.

Strangely, 'with gov't incentives', the MG ZS EV isn't that much more here vs CH.

174,060 Chinese Yuan = 852,928.14 THB, and sells for 949,000 THB here.

The MG ZS ICE version is 2X the price here vs CH ????

78,000 CNY = 382.458 THB

Seems state owned businesses in CH, don't price gouge the citizens of CH ????

Oh, I thought that in another post you claimed that EV cars these days were not much more expensive than their ICE versions

78.000 vs 174.060 Yuan is a small difference?

That the Thai government rips you an ear, has not to be taken in account, since it is an import and excise taxes are high in Thailand

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

Oh, I thought that in another post you claimed that EV cars these days were not much more expensive than their ICE versions

78.000 vs 174.060 Yuan is a small difference?

That the Thai government rips you an ear, has not to be taken in account, since it is an import and excise taxes are high in Thailand

Obviously more expensive in CH, and completely irrelevant to TH.  

Entry level EVs (in TH)

Neta V ฿549k

Vios ฿609k ... discontinued in TH

Varis ฿559 - ฿694k

Mazda 2 ฿546,000 - ฿799k

MG EP ฿771k

There are less expensive (฿369k) but not very well spec'd.

Operating & maintenance cost make EV a better value. IMHO

Again, EVs aren't for everyone, chose what is appropriate for you.

You have choices.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Obviously more expensive in CH, and completely irrelevant to TH.  

Entry level EVs (in TH)

Neta V ฿549k

Vios ฿609k ... discontinued in TH

Varis ฿559 - ฿694k

Mazda 2 ฿546,000 - ฿799k

MG EP ฿771k

There are less expensive (฿369k) but not very well spec'd.

Operating & maintenance cost make EV a better value. IMHO

Again, EVs aren't for everyone, chose what is appropriate for you.

You have choices.

Stop comparing a Neta V with a Vios, Yaris or Mazda 2, other than the size it can not be compared.

Neta is a car with many problems, which is sold at a 100.000 baht loss.

11 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Stop comparing a Neta V with a Vios, Yaris or Mazda 2, other than the size it can not be compared.

Neta is a car with many problems, which is sold at a 100.000 baht loss.

OK, if you want, then make comparisons with Japanese imports, to the MG EP Plus @ ฿771k.

Good luck finding a Japanese import sedan in that price range.  Then add the yearly operating & maintenance cost to that price tag.

Corolla ฿879k and up

Cross ฿999k and up (MG ZS EV ฿949K)

Camry ฿1.475k and up

Mazda 3 ฿969 and up

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

OK, if you want, then make comparisons with Japanese imports, to the MG EP Plus @ ฿771k.

Good luck finding a Japanese import sedan in that price range.  Then at the operating & maintenance cost to that price tag.

Corolla ฿879k and up

Cross ฿999k and up (MG ZS EV ฿949K)

Camry ฿1.475k and up

Mazda 3 ฿969 and up

Again no comparison. The MG is subsidized by the Thai government for about 200.000 baht.

Anyway, I'm out of here, because an EV will never be comparable to an ICE vehicle, for many reasons. And then I don't even talk about the resale value.

Let's talk again in 5 years, when you want to replace your EV, with almost dead batteries, which will cost more than half of the car's new price to replace.

You think you're going to have any takers?

Same with solar. ROI of 10 years, if you werent unfortunate that your panels got damaged or died prematurely, and by that time it is time to replace them.

Yes I pay electric bill, but the money you have invested in a solar installation, I can put in a safe investment and easily double in those 10 year.

Bye

23 hours ago, ignis said:

Friend in UK, followed map to 3 different so say charging stations 2 not working the other a different type of  payment card =  not enough battery to try another station = breakdown service had to be called,  this is the 3rd time in a month !  he says it is the worst decision he every made to buy a EV car.. Maybe if he owned a house with off road parking and charging point would be a different matter.  

Your friend seems to have ignored one of the main points about owning an EV which has been mentioned over and over again in this thread (as well as in many articles found elsewhere) which is that if you don't have at-home charging, then an EV is probably not the best choice for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BenStark said:

Manufacturer says 360 km with a full battery, though the test shows a bit different, and when battery is empty it takes EIGHT hours to fully charge again. My truck does double the km's and doesn't even take 8  minutes to fill up.

What on earth are you on about? You've taken the time it would take on "trickle charge" with an ordinary 120V AC outlet at home and made it sound as if that's the time it will always take to charge, no matter what the circumstances.

On a road trip (to let's say, Phuket for instance) and as stated in the article below:

The car's battery can be charged to 80% capacity in under 20 minutes using a fast charger.

Neta V review article

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What on earth are you on about? You've taken the time it would take on "trickle charge" with an ordinary 120V AC outlet at home and made it sound as if that's the time it will always take to charge, no matter what the circumstances.

On a road trip (to let's say, Phuket for instance) and as stated in the article below:

Neta V review article

Yeah sure, you forgot to add it is actually from 20% to 80%, not from 0 to 80%, and then of course remains the question if a fast charger for that car is available, which yourself stated it may not be the case. And someone in the UK already found out the hard way

34 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Your friend seems to have ignored one of the main points about owning an EV which has been mentioned over and over again in this thread (as well as in many articles found elsewhere) which is that if you don't have at-home charging, then an EV is probably not the best choice for you.

21 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Yeah sure, you forgot to add it is actually from 20% to 80%, not from 0 to 80%, and then of course remains the question if a fast charger for that car is available, which yourself stated it may not be the case. And someone in the UK already found out the hard way.

Doesn't change the fact that it  doesn't take 8 hours to charge the battery at all times which is the impression you were trying to give. For instance, you said, "a 1000 km trip to Phuket will take you 3 days, of which 16 hours only to charge," which is patently untrue.

Also, both you and the reviewer you quoted seem to have got completely the wrong end of the stick about the automatic engine shut off feature of the car. In common with many other newer vehicles, the engine shuts off when stopped in traffic (or, as in this case, at extremely low speed just prior to stopping). The engine does not stall, this is not aberrant behaviour and it restarts as soon as you need it to.

If you're not familiar with auto engine off, it can be a little off -putting at first, as I found out myself. The first time I drove a car that had this feature, I thought it was horrible and was going to cause me all kinds of headaches while driving (as this reviewer apparently also did). However once I got used to it, it was fine.

Oh and by the way, I never said anything about the availability of fast chargers. You may be confusing me with somebody else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Again no comparison. The MG is subsidized by the Thai government for about 200.000 baht.

Anyway, I'm out of here, because an EV will never be comparable to an ICE vehicle, for many reasons. And then I don't even talk about the resale value.

Let's talk again in 5 years, when you want to replace your EV, with almost dead batteries, which will cost more than half of the car's new price to replace.

You think you're going to have any takers?

Same with solar. ROI of 10 years, if you werent unfortunate that your panels got damaged or died prematurely, and by that time it is time to replace them.

Yes I pay electric bill, but the money you have invested in a solar installation, I can put in a safe investment and easily double in those 10 year.

Bye

If you read my post, the ZS will be our last car, and love it, so no need to sell.

Even without the govt incentive, the MG EP Plus is a far better value than others.

Thankfully, have more money than we need and did all the investing before retiring @ 45 yrs old, so the solar system is just another toy for us.

What if scenarios .. that's your argument now.   OK, let's work with that.  What do you plan on doing if the grid crashes ?  Every been to a petrol station or even a 7-11 when power goes ... full stop usually.

We have solar, EVs, food producing garden, live walking distance to the surf (fish), store rain water, and know how to desalinize seawater, actually quite easy.

Have a nice day.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Oh and by the way, I never said anything about the availability of fast chargers. You may be confusing me with somebody else.

You replied to another poster who posted the experience of his friend in the UK. Indeed you didn't use the word fast charger in THAT post, but you indeed used it i n your reply to me.

48 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The car's battery can be charged to 80% capacity in under 20 minutes using a fast charger.

Neta V review article

So since your quote relates to a charge from 20% to 80% only, that means the Neta V has to find a fast charger, suitable for his car, every 200 km for the entire 1000 km from here to Phuket.

So do you confirm those fast chargers are available every 200 km, otherwise your quote is just another distortion of the reality.