31% of Thais eye battery electric vehicles as next car choice

snoop1130

24 minutes ago, BenStark said:

So do you confirm those fast chargers are available every 200 km, otherwise your quote is just another distortion of the reality.

Be done to death ... the CS infrastructure here is excellent. More than enough on the way to Phuket.

Why do you care, since not owning an EV.  Do you even live in TH, since all your references are about the failings of EV use in the UK.

Yes, entry level Neta has a smaller than most popular EV battery, something to consider if using over the road.  MGs will get 300+ kms without charging.

I usually top up at 260 kms, with a reserve of 100 kms, as that's 3-4 hrs on Thai roads, and wife, dog & myself welcome the break.

If you want to drive 10 hrs straight @ 120 kph, then again, the EV isn't for you.

If I go to Phuket, I need to top up once, and it's a welcome break.

If I go to Krung Thep to see my daughter, I don't even need to top up, but we do, just out of town, same as when driving and ICE, as it's a welcome break, and no need to bother once at Krung Thep.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Amazing to me how people always "need" a car.  How many road trips do you "need" to take every year?  For those trips, simply rent a car, go by bus, train, or van. 

The idea that now in the 21st century anyone with the money can still buy an ICE and pollute the air that others breathe is ludicrous/wrong.

If you have to commute to work, get an EV.   I suspect 90% of people could easily get by with an EV commuting.

Personal ICE transportation should not be a "right" , it should be on a needed basis.  If you are retired, no way you "need" to have a personal vehicle if you live in a city.  It is a convenience, for which there are always alternatives. 

Man up, quit being a slave to the Big Oil companies, and learn alternatives to getting from point A to point B is my motto

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Civilized countries always end up importing food from the more backward countries.

Even Rome got a lot of it's food from Egypt.

As for those of us choosing to live in Thailand,

More to do with cheap housing and no welfare for single moms.

The Netherlands is a huge food exporter....sorry to hear that The Netherlands is so backward. I always thought that they are civilized

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

Amazing to me how people always "need" a car.  How many road trips do you "need" to take every year?  For those trips, simply rent a car, go by bus, train, or van. 

The idea that now in the 21st century anyone with the money can still buy an ICE and pollute the air that others breathe is ludicrous/wrong.

If you have to commute to work, get an EV.   I suspect 90% of people could easily get by with an EV commuting.

Personal ICE transportation should not be a "right" , it should be on a needed basis.  If you are retired, no way you "need" to have a personal vehicle if you live in a city.  It is a convenience, for which there are always alternatives. 

Man up, quit being a slave to the Big Oil companies, and learn alternatives to getting from point A to point B is my motto

Modern ICE that are not manipulated (which happens sometimes...removing the catalytic converter) are very clean.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Why do you care, since not owning an EV.  Do you even live in TH, since all your references are about the failings of EV use in the UK.

First of all, this is a discussion forum. If you don't know the meaning of that, look it up.

Secondly I didn't make a single reference to the UK, try to scale up your reading capabilities.

Don't need to reply, as I will not see your post distorting the reality anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Be done to death ... the CS infrastructure here is excellent. More than enough on the way to Phuket.

Yes, entry level Neta has a smaller than most popular EV battery, something to consider if using over the road.  MGs will get 300+ kms without charging.

I usually top up at 260 kms, with a reserve of 100 kms, as that's 3-4 hrs on Thai roads, and wife, dog & myself welcome the break.

If you want to drive 10 hrs straight @ 120 kph, then again, the EV isn't for you.

I am not against EVs but stopping all 260km.....There are a lot people who drive Phuket Bangkok only with a short pee brake. 260km is really not enough for long distance.
But most people would use it anyway just inside city and fly longer distances...for that it is more than enough. Driving 10+ hours is extreme boring if you could sit in the airplane 1 hour instead.

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

A lot ... i get bored easily ????

But agree 100% with the rest of you post  ????

Out&About.png

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's definitely not the impression given by you saying, "he says it is the worst decision he every made to buy a EV car"?

Were you being deliberately disingenuous, or just accidentally?

I have never been a Salesman with a Company Car.... so can only go on what I have been told... 

There is a small list of cars he could have, The ban on hybrid cars in the UK [2030 ?] was a important decision to go BEV over the Hybrid models... So was the worst decision he ever made....  

He will be pension age within 5 years, normally the Company car is part of the leaving present also with many Companies he has been with them since he was 22..  

5 minutes ago, h90 said:

I am not against EVs but stopping all 260km.....There are a lot people who drive Phuket Bangkok only with a short pee brake. 260km is really not enough for long distance.
But most people would use it anyway just inside city and fly longer distances...for that it is more than enough. Driving 10+ hours is extreme boring if you could sit in the airplane 1 hour instead.

Those long drives are over.  I've actually done Udon Thani to Phuket, no overnight.  When the roads weren't so congested, and no speed cameras.

Then the 'legs' got shorter & shorter, 1 stop, 2 stops, 3 stops ????  Then it took a week or 3 to get there, playing tourist all the way, staying the weekend, then returning a different route.  

Now when out & about, where we top up is where we overnight, and explore that area, which ever comes first, hotel or CS.  No hurry to go anywhere.

In the past, like our car with us vs 3 plane fares, then renting.  Refuse to support the taxi mafia, and don't stay stationary when on Phuket.   Use to rent a scooter when there, for getting around, due to no parking, and remove the risk of an oops with the car out of home province.

Now a car is mandatory, as I wouldn't put a dog on a plane in TH.  Plus again, we want our car for convenience.   I never plan anything, so can't buy in advance, and simply go on a whim.  No airport near us anyway.

38 minutes ago, BenStark said:

First of all, this is a discussion forum. If you don't know the meaning of that, look it up.

Secondly I didn't make a single reference to the UK, try to scale up your reading capabilities.

Don't need to reply, as I will not see your post distorting the reality anymore.

And the topic is "BEVs in TH", not the UK, not the UK CS infrastructure, not the cost of electric in the UK.

Your very first post showed your lack of research, as imported BEV, can cost the same or less, than imported / same class of sedan Japanese ICEs.   With or without govt incentive.  That MG EP Plus, is a lot of bang for the baht.  As I pointed out.  

No years to get ROI as you stated.  Buy in is not more expensive.

From there, you went downhill, as pointed out by myself and another poster.

Obviously a BEV is not for you.  Fits perfect in our lifestyle.  Better than any ICE that I've owned, except for the ICE version as our ZS, which we also loved.   But since having more solar than we need at the house, a BEV was a no brainer.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Those long drives are over.  I've actually done Udon Thani to Phuket, no overnight.  When the roads weren't so congested, and no speed cameras.

Then the 'legs' got shorter & shorter, 1 stop, 2 stops, 3 stops ????  Then it took a week or 3 to get there, playing tourist all the way, staying the weekend, then returning a different route.  

Now when out & about, where we top up is where we overnight, and explore that area, which ever comes first, hotel or CS.  No hurry to go anywhere.

In the past, like our car with us vs 3 plane fares, then renting.  Refuse to support the taxi mafia, and don't stay stationary when on Phuket.   Use to rent a scooter when there, for getting around, due to no parking, and remove the risk of an oops with the car out of home province.

Now a car is mandatory, as I wouldn't put a dog on a plane in TH.  Plus again, we want our car for convenience.   I never plan anything, so can't buy in advance, and simply go on a whim.  No airport near us anyway.

Similar to me....I remember driving in Germany.....leaving at 6 PM so I can go full speed (full speed :cheesy:at my old diesel was 160) all the night without brakes so I am in the morning there.......Would not do that anymore......

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2023 at 9:07 AM, BenStark said:

It's not MY review, it was written by a reputable media organisation.

So even more stops to recharge

Maybe you were not in the situation, where you had to re-accelerate form an ALMOST stand still?

For short distances I buy a bicycle. When I buy a car it's because I have to travel further than the 7/11 on the corner of my street.

You say that the review is inaccurate, and then you make up things like above yourself.

Maybe you should take some driving lessons.

It's not MY review, it was written by a reputable media organisation.

So even more stops to recharge

Of course it’s not your review. I never said it was. Given your limited knowledge of EVs, I doubt any car dealer would lend you an EV to review.

Maybe you were not in the situation, where you had to re-accelerate form an ALMOST stand still?

Torque in EVs are instantaneous. Don’t know what the reviewer was trying to say

For short distances I buy a bicycle. When I buy a car it's because I have to travel further than the 7/11 on the corner of my street.

That’s you. Not everyone is the same

You say that the review is inaccurate, and then you make up things like above yourself.

Maybe you should take some driving lessons.

It’s obvious you’ve never driven in CM Old Town. And I’m sure I’m almost certainly a better driver than you.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, James105 said:

"Man up" and learn to live with people going about their business as they choose to do.

People are fine, it is the fossil fuel burning polluting automobiles they drive that is the problem.  Also, I mentioned "retired" which means you no longer do "business" in your life.  Shopping, banking, entertainment can all be had without driving a personal car if you live in a city here

4 hours ago, James105 said:

If someone "wants" a car and they can afford a car then they can have a car as that is how the world works, at least in free countries.

Where in this world of "free countries" does it say you can cause harm to other peoples respiratory health because you want and can afford driving an ICE vehicle?  This is where the big disconnect is in society.  Governments all say they want to provide for your health and safety, yet let anyone drive a car, which provides neither

I have to say, Here in Khon Kaen I see them (BYDs, GWMs, etc) on the road every day and given our driving habits (99% around town,) We have been thinking about it more and more. Our ICE vehicle is only two years old ,and we kind of like it and are comfortable with, but in the next couple of years when we are ready to replace it..........

Edited by sirineou
typo, Apparently Hobbits were driving our cat LOL
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

By 2050 I bet gas cars will be illegal.  Good thing I will be dead by then I hate EV.

I'll be glad you'll be dead by then! 

Only joking ????

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

By 2050 I bet gas cars will be illegal.  Good thing I will be dead by then I hate EV.

Not sure if EV likes you either

:tongue: 

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 2

On 5/26/2023 at 12:24 PM, Skallywag said:

Welcome to the person living in a big city.

Here in rural Kamphaeng Phet the nearest baht bus is 6 km away (they don't come down this way) with a further 60 km drive if you want to go anywhere other than Bangkok. Car hire is in KPP city 65 km away, The nearest railway line is 130 km away in Nakhon Sawan and is good if you want to travel north or south. The nearest airport is also at NS or at Mae Sot 180 km away, Do you walk to the corner shop to buy food or travel 6 km to the market/shops/bank etc.

Remove your head from where it is and look at reality in the rest of Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

No reason to make ICE cars illegal. Lower total costs of ownership of BEV will make ICE dinosaurs. Especially in sunny Thailand. In 2050, you may have to get the fuel from the pharmacy like in the early days of ICE cars.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Welcome to the person living in a big city.

Here in rural Kamphaeng Phet the nearest baht bus is 6 km away (they don't come down this way) with a further 60 km drive if you want to go anywhere other than Bangkok. Car hire is in KPP city 65 km away, The nearest railway line is 130 km away in Nakhon Sawan and is good if you want to travel north or south. The nearest airport is also at NS or at Mae Sot 180 km away, Do you walk to the corner shop to buy food or travel 6 km to the market/shops/bank etc.

Remove your head from where it is and look at reality in the rest of Thailand.

Wow ... you have baht buses ?  

We have MB taxis & MB w/side cart taxis, in town, though they hang out at the market & train station, and rare to see roaming.

Also ... More than a few kms from our house, and nothing here.

Do I need a car ... no

Don't even need the MB or ebike/pedal bike.  

Just convenience.  All EVs so not contributing to local air pollution, and can understand poster distain for it, especially diesel, as feel that fuel should have been banned decades ago.

People need transport, some not a luxury to have.  Unless living in metro area, or TH version of 15 minute city, which there are many of, but if not, then transport is a must.

This house, not so much, but last 2 house builds, transport was a must, unless kid 'learning', and that's a stretch,  at local 'go nowhere in life' school, and us eating the bare minimum to survive, from the local market, a stretch, for lack of better word ... ????

Or waiting and hoping the pick up vendors drive by.