Concrete mix with no sand?

proton

Is something like Quikrete available here where you just add water to mix it? It's only a large crack in the patio that needs filling, rather not bother with bags of sand as it does not need to be that strong

14 hours ago, proton said:

Is something like Quikrete available here where you just add water to mix it? It's only a large crack in the patio that needs filling, rather not bother with bags of sand as it does not need to be that strong

The best product is this one

IMG_5389.thumb.jpeg.dcd8b9c933ab9f7b5b968cff78f821a9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Hijacking the thread.....soz.....what do people use to fix 'hollow' tiles?

Just had the local village idiot do about 90 sq m and half are hollow sounding.

I would be interested in answers to this also. I have a couple of hollow tiles and was thinking i will have to remove them and replace with new tiles, only this time apply the adhesive to the whole area under the tile.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I would be interested in answers to this also. I have a couple of hollow tiles and was thinking i will have to remove them and replace with new tiles, only this time apply the adhesive to the whole area under the tile.

We had some fixed by the original builder, but I didn't pay much attention.

I think he drilled into the grouting and then just squeezed in what I suspect was a very sloppy cement/water mixture from a washing-up liquid bottle.....worked well.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

That is the only way unfortunately, and its quite difficult to achive good results if its a tile surrounded by others as there is no way for any excess mortar to be squeezed out

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I think he drilled into the grouting and then just squeezed in what I suspect was a very sloppy cement/water mixture from a washing-up liquid bottle.....worked well.

Thinking back....I have a feeling he scraped a section of the grouting out...not drilled???

Edited by Will B Good

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

worth a try but its not guaranteed to work if the void is surrounded by hardened mortar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

worth a try but its not guaranteed to work if the void is surrounded by hardened mortar

Yes...of course.....I was assuming (stupidly) that the void would be up to the edges.

The op could consider buying a small bag of premixed tile adhesive  it contains sand , cement and some sort of glue , just add water its commonly called "poon gao"  and crocodile is one of the popular brands less than 300 baht a bag last time I bought some

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Yes...of course.....I was assuming (stupidly) that the void would be up to the edges.

You are unlucky to have had problems , most Thai builders are pretty good tilers

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

The couple who did the inside tiling ran away at the end of the job????.....the builder had to pay for...I would guess, 6 man days, to correct their work.

We then employed another local 'builder' to tile 1000 sq ft outside.......and he was worse than the couple who ran away.

Of course I was not allowed to say a word as he was a local.

Bad luck indeed, and I fully understand your frustration regarding the inability to criticise. I tend to do as much as I can myself, and only hire in assistance when absolutely necessary.  The need to walk around as if on eggshells for fear of hurting somebody's feelings is very difficult for me to accept, especially regarding sub-standard workmanship.  

A Thai or god forbid a chinese Thai,  employing a builder would not exercise any  such restraint. it seems to be a peculiar trait common to the wives of farangs

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Bad luck indeed, and I fully understand your frustration regarding the inability to criticise. I tend to do as much as I can myself, and only hire in assistance when absolutely necessary.  The need to walk around as if on eggshells for fear of hurting somebody's feelings is very difficult for me to accept, especially regarding sub-standard workmanship.  

A Thai or god forbid a chinese Thai,  employing a builder would not exercise any  such restraint. it seems to be a peculiar trait common to the wives of farangs

Yes indeed......... wives of farangs...........I guess they know what retribution might be wrought for a farang stupid enough to "have a go". Plus it can leave them in an awkward position  if a dispute arises.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, proton said:

Is something like Quikrete available here where you just add water to mix it?

Yes, in HomePro and Global House or like stores, for example Best Bond Repair Mortar. The moderns times you don't add water but the enclosed liquid only, as it's a "two-component" A-B mix. The same type of mix is now also used for high quality tile grout. It actually works very well...????

image.png.0359cdc51cd38fc862df9a6d382333c3.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Theory said:

How wide and long is the crack ? If does not need any cement just use ready wall patch. 

5 metres and about inch deep, caused by previous 'builders' not using re bar and inferior hard core. If it looks too bad when done will cover it up with artificial grass, not worth having it all torn up and done again

13 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Fill it by spray foam and cut extras that pop out and then paint it. It will look good .

Did that before, it was far too soft, ripped it out the other day.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Hijacking the thread.....soz.....what do people use to fix 'hollow' tiles?

Just had the local village idiot do about 90 sq m and half are hollow sounding.

You can't, they sound hollow as there is no mortar bed completely covering the underside. They can Crack very easily. Only correct way is to pull them and replace them 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, proton said:

Did that before, it was far too soft, ripped it out the other day.

If the crack is not very wide you can use a caulk made for concrete. It's flexible and has the texture of sand and Grey color. If the crack is wider than 1/4 " they make a backer bead made from foam like a rope. Stuff that down into the crack and them the caulk has something to press against as you caulk the crack. You need something flexible or if you patch it with mortar mix it will just crack again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

You can't, they sound hollow as there is no mortar bed completely covering the underside. They can Crack very easily. Only correct way is to pull them and replace them 

that is an incorrect answer. Certainly some will be unfixable, however there are thin, virtually as thin as cream compounds that are inserted with a syringe that will fill all the voids. The possible problem with these are that they are anything but cheap so pulling out and replacing may be preferable.