Kawasaki Z250SL headlight crazing

damole

I bought my Z250SL in July 2018, it has done 8500 km.  I am only in Chiang Mai 4-6  months per year, when I am not here it is store inside my friend's guest house under a roof.

The only report I could find online is here.

Is it something to be concerned about as the replacement unit isn't cheap?

Z250SL-crazy-headlight.jpg.59accf59510908b293165cd211b2ceef.jpg

46 minutes ago, damole said:

Is it something to be concerned about as the replacement unit isn't cheap?

Unless you do unlite road riding and it affects the beam as to see at night.

Personally I would contact Kawasaki head office in Bkk and show them the picture a headlight should not go like that unless you damaged it in some way.

• Thanks 1

Something is not right here. As others have said a 2018 model should not deteriorate that much let alone if it was away from direct sunlight. Are you sure they kept it like you think they have?

I’ve done polishing of headlights on cars before. First you apply a semi coarse wet sand paper to remove the surface. Keep going up in grit to about 2000. Then use a cut/polish compound to bring the shine out. You can apply a UV coating to minimize future deterioration. Takes a bit of time but the process is rather simple. Make sure you tape the surrounding to avoid scratching elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I have had 2 flat screen TV's suffer a similar fate, ended up binning them

Have had issues with car headlight lenses "yellowing"  vigorous buffing with toothpaste provided some improvement, never failed the annual check here though, but in the UK yellowed lights will not pass the annual MOT check

Thanks for all the replies.

I've visited Kawasaki in Chiang Mai several times since I noticed the problem at least once to ask how much for a replacement unit and no one said anything but I know that's not the same as asking.

I will try contacting Kawasaki Thailand and send a photo. I will wait to see if I get a reply before attempting to polish the lens.

• Thumbs Up 1

I contacted Kawasaki on the main Thai website and received a reply a couple of days later, I responded with a photo and proof of ownership.

They replied that I should take it to my local Kawasaki dealer in Chiang Mai which is where I bought it from, so I took it there this afternoon and they will, as it's a discontinued model, try to order the lens from Bangkok, and fit it for free.

Thanks @Kwasaki for the sensible suggestion.

Edited by damole
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, damole said:

I contacted Kawasaki on the main Thai website and received a reply a couple of days later, I responded with a photo and proof of ownership.

They replied that I should take it to my local Kawasaki dealer in Chiang Mai which is where I bought it from, so I took it there this afternoon and they will, as it's a discontinued model, try to order the lens from Bangkok, and fit it for free.

Thanks @Kwasaki for the sensible suggestion.

When I contacted Kawasaki head office they were very helpful with my problems concerning my Versys 650.

Hence my suggestion and I'm pleased Kawasaki is helping you out.

On 5/25/2023 at 5:19 PM, AustinRacing said:

Something is not right here. As others have said a 2018 model should not deteriorate that much let alone if it was away from direct sunlight. Are you sure they kept it like you think they have?

I’ve done polishing of headlights on cars before. First you apply a semi coarse wet sand paper to remove the surface. Keep going up in grit to about 2000. Then use a cut/polish compound to bring the shine out. You can apply a UV coating to minimize future deterioration. Takes a bit of time but the process is rather simple. Make sure you tape the surrounding to avoid scratching elsewhere. 

What you reckon on this one.

Not tried it myself yet.

2 hours ago, quake said:

What you reckon on this one.

Not tried it myself yet.

That’s a myth. Wd40 being oily fills the rough surface created by oxidized plastic giving you the impression that it’s cleaned it. Given time when it evaporates you’ll get back the same surface. A bit like wetting a rough gemstone to make it look shiny. 
The surface has a layer of oxidized plastic. That layer must be removed together with a little bit of intact surface to ensure complete removal of it. Then it is a matter of polishing it until you get the sheen back. No chemical/liquid will work unless it can remove the stuff completely. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, AustinRacing said:

That’s a myth. Wd40 being oily fills the rough surface created by oxidized plastic giving you the impression that it’s cleaned it. Given time when it evaporates you’ll get back the same surface. A bit like wetting a rough gemstone to make it look shiny. 
The surface has a layer of oxidized plastic. That layer must be removed together with a little bit of intact surface to ensure complete removal of it. Then it is a matter of polishing it until you get the sheen back. No chemical/liquid will work unless it can remove the stuff completely. 

Ok.

So the vid was BS.

Ok thought it was to good to be true.

Today I went out to the my bike this morning the the visor on the helmet has developed a simillar patten although much less dense.  It's almost spooky and I'm wondering if it is a new kind of virus and will it be me next, LOL.

Real-Helmet-crazy-visor.thumb.jpg.89347fb5d1364ff58d8f70eb16337298.jpg