Bangkok Launches Campaign to Combat High Diabetes Risk

snoop1130

8d58def4e834911d107e4271a3b608a9_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has launched the "Diabetes-Free Thais" campaign to address the high risk of diabetes among city-dwellers. The campaign, established in 2022 by the Diabetes Association of Thailand and Merck Thailand, aims to raise awareness about pre-diabetes conditions and the importance of early detection and treatment to slow down the progression of diabetes.

According to a survey conducted during last year’s campaign, 73% of the 7,500 participants were found to be at a high risk of developing diabetes. As a result, the Diabetes Association sought the assistance of the BMA in raising awareness among target groups in the city.

BMA Deputy Governor Tavida Kamolvej highlighted that a large proportion of the over 5 million diabetic patients in Thailand reside in major cities like Bangkok. The city lifestyle, characterized by busyness and limited time for exercise and healthcare, contributes to the development of diabetes.

According to Tavida, the BMA’s Health Department also plans to adopt proactive and passive measures to identify individuals at risk within each community, providing them with appropriate treatment and health advice. Health practitioners and volunteers will also engage in door-to-door campaigns to emphasize the significance of primary healthcare and early disease detection, which can lead to long-term cost savings on treatment expenses.

Tavida expressed hope that the campaign’s collaboration would enhance the city’s primary healthcare standards and potentially pave the way for future initiatives, such as establishing hospitals and research institutes dedicated to diabetes treatment and prevention.

By Krajangwit Johjit

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230526115956960

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-05-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

One issue for sure Is diet. Polished rice (white rice) has a relatively high glycemic index. Guess what the predominant stable diet largely consists of? Sticky rice is even worse.

The transition to more sedentary life styles aggravates this. When more people were working at agricultural employment it was much less of a problem.

Personally down to 90 kilos from 120. Tremendous change in my glucose numbers. Down to one insulin shot per day from as many as five over thirty years experience as a diabetic.

• Like 1

Part of the Thais diet includes sticky rice. That is very high on the glycemic index if you can even find it there.

A lot of people fall asleep or get drowsy after consuming this. (sugar spike) A senior lady next door to us in our Issarn neighborhood has to get dialysis treatment 3 times a week.Her family hasn't connected the dots as she eats this stuff several times a day.Why don't the Drs give advice about this?  

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

One issue for sure Is diet. Polished rice (white rice) has a relatively high glycemic index. Guess what the predominant stable diet largely consists of? Sticky rice is even worse.

The transition to more sedentary life styles aggravates this. When more people were working at agricultural employment it was much less of a problem.

Personally down to 90 kilos from 120. Tremendous change in my glucose numbers. Down to one insulin shot per day from as many as five over thirty years experience as a diabetic.

Yes bill...please comment on my observations below..

3 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Yes bill...please comment on my observations below..

Yes, absolutely. Diabetes is one of the prime causes of kidney failure, and also limb amputations. Sticky rice has a glycemic index of about 90, just ten points less than pure glucose.

I’d bet the lady you speak of is diabetic. I don’t know why it is not more regularly tested for. 
Half the time when I go to my local shops I cannot find sugar free soda, but plenty of sugar laden stuff and beer.

A nationwide, make that world wide, educational emphasis on nutrition and exercise is sorely needed. Diabetes has become a global epidemic.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1