Australian Who Escaped From Klong Prem Prison Writes A Book

sriracha john

frontcover-escape.jpg

'ESCAPE'

The true story of the only Westerner ever to break out of Thailand's Bangkok Hilton by David McMillan

Klong Prem prison, Thailand. The “Bangkok Hilton”, where 600 foreigners among the 12,000 inmates of this walled prison city also wait and rot. Among the tragic, ruthless and forgotten, one man resolves to do what no other has done: Escape. This is the true story of drug smuggler David McMillan's perilous break-out from Asia's most notorious prison.

From his arrest at Don Muang airport, to awaiting trial inside Klong Prem, he provides an insight into the lives of the British, Australian, American and other Western prisoners as they are destroyed by disease, neglect and despair. Death is their only way out.

Two weeks before a near-certain death sentence McMillan escaped, never to be seen in Thailand again.

------

author-escape.jpg

David McMillan was once described as being one of Australia's most notorious drug traffickers. He began his drug smuggling career following a trip to India in his twenties; it was a vocation that would see him mastermind a heroin-smuggling syndicate worth millions of dollars and plan numerous escape attempts from prisons around the world. He was ruined in the 1980s by a major arrest, the death of his wife and a long prison sentence. While on remand, he was charged with attempting to escape by helicopter using SAS personnel. Following his arrest in Thailand and subsequent infamous escape from Klong Prem maximum security prison, David continued to undertake risky adventures until retiring to London in the late 1990s, where he now lives.

- Monsoon Books

===============================================================================

klongpremprisonsat.jpg

Klong Prem Prison – The infamous ‘Bangkok Hilton’

Escape from Klong Prem Prison

Interview of the author written by Richard Barrow

http:// www.thai-blogs.com/index.php?blog=5...p;tb=1&pb=1

Edited by sbk
per OP request

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok Hilton.........is this term usually used to refer to Bang Kwang or Klong Prem?

I read an article last week from a British newspaper regarding Sean McMahon's arrival and pending trial in the UK. They wrote that he had spent 3 months in Bangkok's notorious "Chiang Mai" prison, aka Bangkok Hilton!

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This guy is a self confessed drug smuggler, has done time in several prisons and is now making money on the story of his escape. I certainly wouldn't buy the book and give him my money. This just isn't right.

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This guy is a self confessed drug smuggler, has done time in several prisons and is now making money on the story of his escape. I certainly wouldn't buy the book and give him my money. This just isn't right.

Pay someone to transcribe it and let it loose on bittorent. :o

So, we're supposed to buy the book & give money & fame to this scum - aherm, sorry, confessed drug smuggler?

Love the way that he says that the other prison books are self-absorbed. From reading that interview, I don't think this bloke could be any more up himself without disappearing completely.

Nope, not going to be on my reading list.

It's not right that people should make money because they broke the law.

You would have to be a complete idiot not to be aware of what awaits you should you get caught smuggling drugs in LOS.

Easy money if you get away with it.....but if not !

Who does he think he is Ronnie Biggs???

Edited by ThaiPauly

There's more than enough dipsticks out there that think this knob is a hero that he'll probably sell quite a few copies. Hope he didn't use too many big words for that lot. :o

well if it comes my way, ill read it, or some of it, then make my mind up!

"Hi Oprah, I'm so exited being here."

"Yes, I was [am] a notorious drug smuggler and directer of drug traffic and got caught. Then I escaped since I'm so clever. And had such a huge wallet. Now buy my book and make me richer."

Oprah: "It's time for adience-gifts again. Look under your seats and you will find it. That is right, a metal cane - now smack our guest! First one to break his skull gets a car!

There's more than enough dipsticks out there that think this knob is a hero that he'll probably sell quite a few copies. Hope he didn't use too many big words for that lot. :o

:D:D:D

OMG! That is classic! To quote cdnvics post, being disparaging of those that will read that book & then to say you will... Hilarious!

You were aiming for irony - right? :D

I hope in years to come that this scum is picked up and shipped back here.

Nice that we all have his photo to go on.

Is there any reward for his re-capture? I'll donate it to charity if I am ever lucky enough to see him back here. I'll also match the any reward if they hang the vermin.

Think on Mc Millan, if you are reading this post, you only need to slip up once in your life and you are toast. The police etc can screw up everyday for twenty years and still win!

Only needs one little slip from you.... and like all dumb criminals, you will make it! Maybe this book will give enough people a shot of your mug to lead to your downfall.

I think it comes c/w crayons in lovely bright primary colours. :D

I think it comes c/w crayons in lovely bright primary colours. :D

:D

Nice :D

According to a recent report on the Taksin/Man City deal in the UK's Guardian newspaper, an extradition treaty exists between the UK and Thailand. Are the Thai authorities pressing for his return?

It seems a fair number of British villains are nicked here and returned. Surely, it must be time for Thailand to call in a favour or are they just hoping he'll appear at a book signing in Asia Books?

According to a recent report on the Taksin/Man City deal in the UK's Guardian newspaper, an extradition treaty exists between the UK and Thailand. Are the Thai authorities pressing for his return?

It seems a fair number of British villains are nicked here and returned. Surely, it must be time for Thailand to call in a favour or are they just hoping he'll appear at a book signing in Asia Books?

He's obviously living on some dodgy island waiting for the hollywood screenplay offers to pour in...come to think of it, we're about ready for a sequel to Papillon or Midnight Express...hate to see it, but yeah, he'll get rich off this too, and end up looking like a hero on the big screen.

Don't like the way he implies he escaped two weeks before a death sentance was to be carried out. He hadn't even beed found guilty. Also foriegners are not executed in Thailand even when given a death sentance, they rarely serve more than 15 years, often far less even though sentanced for 50 years + or death.

Not sure why so many members think it's ok to serve your sentance then write a book, but not ok to escape and write a book. If it's a story worth reading and interesting then he should be rewarded for telling it. He'll come unstuck one day in the future, for eigher something he has done in the past or some crime he will commit in the future.

Sounds like he has a history of being a wrongen'.

I'll be reading it anyway.

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This guy is a self confessed drug smuggler, has done time in several prisons and is now making money on the story of his escape...This just isn't right.

Would it be reasonable to assume that McMillan did not write this book all by himself, that he was assisted by a ghostwriter, who is also making money from it?

--

Maestro

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This guy is a self confessed drug smuggler, has done time in several prisons and is now making money on the story of his escape...This just isn't right.

Would it be reasonable to assume that McMillan did not write this book all by himself, that he was assisted by a ghostwriter, who is also making money from it?

--

Maestro

Of course that's likely the case. I don't know how many career drug dealers learn to write well, but he did have lots of time behind bars to learn. In any event, if the movie rights get picked up, a lot of money will be made by a lot of companies and people working on the project, possibly including location people and crew revenues in Thailand, if they get permission to do that. And that is good for everyone, not just for his benefit. He has a story to tell, and an interesting twist, in that he's not a typical self-sorry whiner, so that might sell. His story also allegedly casts Thailand in a good light, not a bad light, so we'll see.