Curl up leaves on a lemon tree

Hello, I bought a lemon tree three weeks ago, all ok, but new leaves are curled up with light  white powder 

what happens ?  Some research on the Internet didn't give any information 

thank you

P_20230527_080200.jpg

21 minutes ago, Aforek said:

what happens ? 

the tree is sick and dies unless you give it appropriate medical care

did you transplant it?

are you sure it is lemon not lime?

Edited by Dante99
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Some research on the Internet didn't give any information 

thank you

I suggest you look again, there is a heap of info there.

First prune off the damaged, spray with insecticide then cover the tree in shade cloth so spiders, and mites, butterflies, etc. cant get in. make it so you can get a hand in to pick any fruit you may have. sit back and wait a year or two before removing the shade cloth. spray again. that is how i did my lemon tree after 4 yrs it of waiting it now never stops flowering.

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I suggest you look again, there is a heap of info there.

Yes there is.

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

First prune off the damaged, spray with insecticide then cover the tree in shade cloth so spiders, and mites, butterflies, etc. cant get in. make it so you can get a hand in to pick any fruit you may have. sit back and wait a year or two before removing the shade cloth. spray again. that is how i did my lemon tree after 4 yrs it of waiting it now never stops flowering.

That may not be necessary, it could be something as simple as overwatering or under watering or ....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Yes there is.

That may not be necessary, it could be something as simple as overwatering or under watering or ....

I have Irish ancestry so I like to be sure, to be sure. :giggle: 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, norbra said:

Powdery mildew,clean with a diluted mix of dish wash and water.

Repeat at first sign of re-infection.

These insects suck the life out of leaves.

Plenty of sunshine will also kill these.things

yes, maybe its powdery mildew, and also maybe I water too much 

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

yes, maybe its powdery mildew, and also maybe I water too much 

Leaves don't indicate too much water and good drainage is a must.

Leaf curl could also be insect or spider

Edited by norbra

8 hours ago, norbra said:

Leaves don't indicate too much water and good drainage is a must.

Leaf curl could also be insect or spider

Drainage is important, dig the tree up and dig a hole 2 foot, put some stones /rocks in then put some soil back on top and re plant, this will help drainage.

I panted a lime tree a few years ago it would not do, so I did the above, re planted the tree, and away it went. 

Aggee on Powdery Mildew.

It is leaf miner.. through and especially towards end of hot season can get lots along with thrips that love the citrus leaves. If it’s bad give them a 1 shot spray with abamectin to clear them up then spray every 10 days to 2 weeks with neem oil or wood vinegar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grafting Ken said:

It is leaf miner.. through and especially towards end of hot season can get lots along with thrips that love the citrus leaves. If it’s bad give them a 1 shot spray with abamectin to clear them up then spray every 10 days to 2 weeks with neem oil or wood vinegar.

Please share what products you are using for abamectin and neem oil. 

Abamectin would be a good choice for leaf miner control in an active infestation, because it is a "translaminar" and one of the few insecticides/miticides that can penetrate the leaf surfaces to get to the feeding  larvae without going full systemic and contaminating the fruit. Unless you spray the fruit.

Translaminar is a type of insecticide that travels only shorter distances in the plant. Translaminar insecticides penetrate into the plant tissue and move within a plant organ such as a leaf. After penetrating leaf tissues, they form a reservoir of active ingredients within the leaf. However, they do not travel to other parts of the plant. For example, these chemicals may move from the upper to the lower surface of a leaf.

Neem oil and wood vinegar, with the right timing, will have preventive action for the moth that lays the eggs that become the larvae that mine and feed inside leaf surfaces, but will not cure an active advanced infestation.

Commercial growers who are monocropping and using high salt index, high NPK chemical fertilizers and pesticides will have more challenges with this and other pests and diseases. They will need to have a vigilant monitoring and spray program. 

I prefer not having to resort to the chemistry, even the botanicals, by using a purely preventive organic approach, cultivating good soil fertility, with good water management, enhancing plant nutrition and natural resistance to pests and diseases. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Please share what products you are using for abamectin and neem oil. 

Abamectin would be a good choice for leaf miner control in an active infestation, because it is a "translaminar" and one of the few insecticides/miticides that can penetrate the leaf surfaces to get to the feeding  larvae without going full systemic and contaminating the fruit. Unless you spray the fruit.

Translaminar is a type of insecticide that travels only shorter distances in the plant. Translaminar insecticides penetrate into the plant tissue and move within a plant organ such as a leaf. After penetrating leaf tissues, they form a reservoir of active ingredients within the leaf. However, they do not travel to other parts of the plant. For example, these chemicals may move from the upper to the lower surface of a leaf.

Neem oil and wood vinegar, with the right timing, will have preventive action for the moth that lays the eggs that become the larvae that mine and feed inside leaf surfaces, but will not cure an active advanced infestation.

Commercial growers who are monocropping and using high salt index, high NPK chemical fertilizers and pesticides will have more challenges with this and other pests and diseases. They will need to have a vigilant monitoring and spray program. 

I prefer not having to resort to the chemistry, even the botanicals, by using a purely preventive organic approach, cultivating good soil fertility, with good water management, enhancing plant nutrition and natural resistance to pests and diseases. 

Abamdctin now we only use on rootstock if we get an influx in thrips but they have not been as bad this year. Neem I used to send over from the uk but now have so many trees it’s not practical so we use wood vinegar.. for spray we use T.P.I gold it’s for me much better than the other products around mixed in a spray mix with EM, molasses, seaweed extract and worm cast tea.. just trying Mr Hope worm cast tea last few months.. Also we do a soil drench every month but for that I use the cheaper wood vinegar that you can buy a 30L barrel for around 1200 baht I think.

Sure we try to be as organic as we possibly can but the thrips and miners once starts can make a mess of things.. spraying regular just helps to keep everything clean these pests love the new rootstock leaves and if not kept in check make a mess of young rootstock and trees.

Edited by Grafting Ken