Non-b To Non-o

I'm finishing my job in August therefore cancelling my work permit. I'm currently on a non-B visa connected to my work. I'll be seeking a non-O visa by virtue of my marriage to a Thai. My question is do I have to leave Thailand to get my non-O (after cancelling my work permit) or can I go down to immigration and convert my non-B to a non-O in country? Does my non-B visa automatically become invalid when I cancel my work permit?

For example. My visa finishes on the 20th August. If I cancel my work permit at the beginning of August can I go within a few days to immi and convert the visa or do I have to leave (my nearest consulate being Vientiene)?

Thanks very much for any feedback.

If you are here on a 90 day visa entry the loss of job will not effect that visa entry, or the visa itself if it is multi entry. You can continue to stay here and if multi entry exit and return.

Immigration does not issue visas except change of visa as a curtsy to those who qualify for extension of stay (one year extensions).

If here on a one year extension of stay you will have seven days to depart Thailand after you return the work permit.

Readers have had good results in getting answers to immigration questions by using the hotline 1111 number and asking for immigration.

The current requirement for one year extensions of stay for those married is 40k monthly family income.

Thanks a lot lopburi. I'm on a one year extension for my non-b. Seeing as I'll qualify for an extension of stay based on my wifes salary I'll give the immi hotline a call to see if i can change my visa and report any info back here.

... see if i can change my visa...

In your situation I believe you do not need to change your visa but simply submit a new application for annual extension (form TM.7), this time for the reason of living with your Thai wife.

--

Maestro

If you are here on a 90 day visa entry the loss of job will not effect that visa entry, or the visa itself if it is multi entry. You can continue to stay here and if multi entry exit and return.

Immigration does not issue visas except change of visa as a curtsy to those who qualify for extension of stay (one year extensions).

If here on a one year extension of stay you will have seven days to depart Thailand after you return the work permit.

I have a similar scenario on the topic i posted "Questions On Labour Laws, Severance Pay, Getting Back Old Work Permit And More…, Interesting scenario for you knowledgeable folks to work through...", difference being i am being retrenched. Sunbelt have offered some useful answers.

I am a little confused by your posting above. To the best of my knowledge, to my work permit (issued by one-stop as we are a BOI company) i have a one-year class b visa, and i have to report every 90 days. All the farlangs including me will have their work permit / visas renewed on a date at the end of August. When i'm retrenched (some time after 31 Oct i believe), i know i have 7 days to return my work permit, but (1) do i have the same 7 days to leave the country (and come back with a new visa / or apply for an extension of stay based upon my wife and kids) or (2) can i remain until my 90 days is up and then can i do a 90 day trip to suan phlu every 90 days until the visa expires?

I am a little confused...

Let’s see if this helps resolve your confusion:

One-year visa = multiple-entry non-immigrant visa, issued by a Thai consulate. With this visa, with each entry into Thailand you are given permission to stay for a maximum of 90 days. In other words, you have to leave the country every 90 days, but can re-enter again the same day (so-called border run). This visa retains its validity even after your employment ends.

One-year extension of stay = extension of permission to stay, issued by the Immigration office, in your case for the reason of employment. With this extension, you have to report your current address to the Immigration office every 90 days if you stay in Thailand for longer than 90 days at a time. When your employment ends, the expiration date of your permission to stay stamped in you passport loses its validity; you have seven days to leave the country without risking overstay, or to get a new work permit.

You didn’t say which of the above two are the basis of your stay in Thailand, for which reason Lopburi answered for both possibilities.

--

Maestro

One-year visa = multiple-entry non-immigrant visa, issued by a Thai consulate. With this visa, with each entry into Thailand you are given permission to stay for a maximum of 90 days. In other words, you have to leave the country every 90 days, but can re-enter again the same day (so-called border run). This visa retains its validity even after your employment ends.

One-year extension of stay = extension of permission to stay, issued by the Immigration office, in your case for the reason of employment. With this extension, you have to report your current address to the Immigration office every 90 days if you stay in Thailand for longer than 90 days at a time. When your employment ends, the expiration date of your permission to stay stamped in you passport loses its validity; you have seven days to leave the country without risking overstay, or to get a new work permit.

You didn’t say which of the above two are the basis of your stay in Thailand, for which reason Lopburi answered for both possibilities.

--

Maestro

Excellent explanation and clarification. I'm the latter possibility. so it's looking like when i leave them and turn in my work permit, i also will have to apply for an extension of stay based on Thai wife (class 0-marriage). Cheers.

Just as a point of reference, I was told by the folks at the One-Stop that I have 7 days after I stopped working to leave the country. Since I had just returned my work permit (seven days after leaving the company), I was told I had to leave that day or be on overstay. I already had purchased a ticket to Singapore to apply for my new non-B, but they were having none of it. After a bit of protest, based on what I had read on this site, I was offered an extension (1900 baht, 7 days).

After running around to get new photos, and copies of my passport, the clerk said I would have to go to Suan Plu for the extension, contradicting the first clerk's statement. Finally, a supervisor scrutinized the whole matter, and confirmed that the 7 day clock starts running on the first day after you leave employment. She also noticied that I was soaking wet from going out to get photos for my extension, and "helped" me by approving the extension on the spot.

I don't know if Suan Plu would have enforced the 7 day rule the same way, but it is dangerous to assume that you are good for another 7 days after you turn in your WP.

Sateev

... see if i can change my visa...

In your situation I believe you do not need to change your visa but simply submit a new application for annual extension (form TM.7), this time for the reason of living with your Thai wife.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro. So I can still use a non-B visa based on marriage to my wife even though I won't have a job or W/P? If this is the case (and if I bring the correct paperwork ie proof of my wifes earnings of over 40k) will they extend it for a year or will they give me an initial 3 months and then I have to extend for the year?

Sorry I've got so many (ignorant) questions

...So I can still use a non-B visa based on marriage to my wife even though I won't have a job or W/P?

Yes. After having entered Thailand on a non-B visa you can apply for an annual extension of stay based on marriage. If you currently are on an annual extension based on employment, you can make a new application for extension of stay based on marriage even though you no longer have a job or work permit.

--

Maestro

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info on this thread. I'm going to Nong Khai immigration next week to try and extend my non-B based on marriage. I think I've got all the stuff I need for a year extension but can you good folks kindly point out anything I may have missed?

Passport with photocopies of my picture page and my visa and previous extension pages

Wifes ID card with photocopies

Our marriage certificates with copies

House registration card with copies

Completed TM 7 form

To qualify for a years extension I know I need to show a family income of 40k baht a month. I'm going to use my wifes salary for this purpose. What sort of documentary proof do immigration like to see for this?

Thanks.

PS -With a one year extension I assume I don't have to leave the country every 90 days? Just report my residence?

Edited by minimart

They will require tax payment documents for the income. You may need photos of home/together/joint closet but that may also be taken care of by a personal visit up there. Wife will have to be with you. 4x6cm photos within six months. They may want to see bankbooks but don't know about that under new requirements.

With a one year extension you would require a re-entry permit prior to any travel outside Thailand and have to report your address every 90 days if in Thailand.

I just had a look on the immigration website and it said the requirements for an extension were 400k in the bank AND 40k a month income. Admittedly this was in the case of "supporting a Thai wife" I thought the new regs were 40k a month and no bank amount required? In my case it will be my wife who's supplying the proof of 40k income (therefore technically supporting me!) seeing as I'm quitting work for a while. Any feedback folks? I haven't covered the eventuality of 400k in the bank because I thought I was covered under the 40k a month family income and all my moneys back home in the UK so I hope I'm not in the proverbial sh#t.

I've had a bit of bad luck! Last week I tripped and broke my ankle so I was unable to go to immigration to attempt to extend my visa. My visa expires on the 20th August and I've been told that if your visa is inside 21 days of expiry they won't extend it. Is this the case? I'm a bit confused because in previous years I've gone down to extend my visa with our company secretary literally within 2 or 3 days of expiry and extended with no problem.

Thanks for any feedback.

The 21 day rule, which is not strictly enforced, was for conversion of tourist visa to non immigrant for extension of stay.

If you are talking about a 30 day extension of a tourist visa there should not be any problem doing any time.

If for one year extension of stay they prefer 3-4 weeks prior to expiration but have not heard of anyone being refused even if down to 1 day.