Replacing PC

BenStark

My PC, which is aged actually keeps crashing, so instead of finding the fault I have decided to replace MB, CPU and RAM.

So I'm on a budget.

I consider this MB Gigabyte B560M DS3H V2

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-V2-rev-10/sp#sp

This CPU CPU i5-10400F

It supports DDR 4 2666 and I was thinking about 16GB, but I see prices for the same amount of memory seem to vary quite a bit.

I look on the JIB website, but it's all Chinese for me.

What would be a good brand for budget price. Is it better to buy 1 big strip or multiple smaller strips

Since this MB seems to have decent on board graphics, I assume I will not need an external card for my needs. I don't play game or do any video editing?

Anything else I should take notice for?

My current PC is also Gigabyte, would it be possible to simply swap the SSD with OEM Windows 7 on it.

As a general rule, it's better to have more sticks of RAM for the same total.  You'd be better off going for a 2x8GB kit.  I have Corsair Vengeance LPX in my machines but any known brand should be fine.

DO NOT buy any Intel CPU where the model ends in an 'F' these chips don't have graphics (it isn't on the motherboards anymore).  If you go for that chip you will 100% need a discrete graphics card.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

DO NOT buy any Intel CPU where the model ends in an 'F' these chips don't have graphics (it isn't on the motherboards anymore).

Thanks for pointing that out, as i had no idea about it, and was ready to order the CPU.

I wasn't even aware that the CPU Had anything to do with onboard graphics, thought it was all on the MB

It's usually recommended to buy RAM in pairs although not absolutely necessary. One scenariuo where you might buy a single stick of RAM is if you plan on buying another identical stick when you can afford it.

You can just use that SSD on the board.

If you mainly browse, i5 is good, or Ryzen 5.

16 Gb RAM is good but 8 Gb is enough if you want to defer purchasing more RAM later.

Drives are cheap, look at buying a smallish nvme at around 512 Gb. Use external drives for extra storage.

I recommend buying a new power supply as well since yours is old.

Edited by ozimoron

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You can just use that SSD on the board.

I know I can use it, but will my Windows license remain active as I don't have the license key?

The PC came with the Windows and is a Gigabyte OEM license, or whatever they call that.

Just now, BenStark said:

I know I can use it, but will my Windows license remain active as I don't have the license key?

The PC came with the Windows and is a Gigabyte OEM license, or whatever they call that.

It should but I have heard of it detecting too much hardware change and demanding you re-enter the licence key. Since you are on a budget and not gaming (I assume from your hardware) I would recommend you go with linux ubuntu. It's free and is easy to use.

Fully ready and discount price.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/59054/1545/COMPUTER-SET-JIB-MARU-2305004

or older ?   https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/59060/1400/COMPUTER-SET-JIB-MARU-2305008  the onboard graphics is not as good.   Intel UHD Graphics 630    vs  Intel UHD Graphics 730  on the i3 12100

The i5 is 10th  generation came out early 2020  vs the i3 is 12th generation and came out last year

Myself in all the years have owned a PC always used AMD. so do not follow Intel much so feel sure other will advise if the i3 or i5 is better for your use

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Looks interesting but I have no idea about processor power. I see i3 has only 4 cores, while i5 has 6 cores, but it is newer so maybe it compares with the older i5?

Maybe someone in the know can look at the MB and CPU I considered in the OP, and tell if it is comparable, and sufficient for my needs

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Looks interesting but I have no idea about processor power. I see i3 has only 4 cores, while i5 has 6 cores, but it is newer so maybe it compares with the older i5?

Maybe someone in the know can look at the MB and CPU I considered in the OP, and tell if it is comparable, and sufficient for my needs

Either would work. The i5 remains more powerful than the newer gen i3.

I would replace your board and buy a 13th gen 15 or Ryzen 5, makes no difference.

Edited by ozimoron

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Either would work. The i5 remains more powerful than the newer gen i3.

I would replace your board and buy a 13th gen 15 or Ryzen 5, makes no difference.

A 13th generation i5 starts from 7900 baht, bit over my budget.

On the other hand, is a MB that supports 13th generation, backwards compatible with earlier generation CPU's?

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

A 13th generation i5 starts from 7900 baht, bit over my budget.

On the other hand, is a MB that supports 13th generation, backwards compatible with earlier generation CPU's?

Some will support a couple of generations. Check the specs.  I'd buy an earlier i5 than a newer i3.

Essential toolkit for anyone building PC's. You can check compatibility.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 2

I can buy a 1 year old MB Gigabyte B560M DS3H V2 , with 2 years Synnex warranty left, for 2000 baht.

The Gigabyte H610M H DDR4 MB would cost me 2600 baht (new) and supports newer generation CPU (more expensive)

But I just did a comparison on the web, and it turns out that the former MB is better than the newer one.

https://versus.com/en/gigabyte-b560-hd3-vs-gigabyte-h610m-h-ddr4

As your post does not state any price point not sure how tight your budget is but for me BMAX B3 mini computer makes sense here and have bought myself.  Everything in small box with no heat or noise - plug and play on any monitor or TV via HDMI.  Hook up mouse/keyboard and good to go.  I bought this for 8k and very happy with it.  If you need gaming computer would not be that great but for normal usage very fast and takes up no space.

Edit - you posted further while I wrote - sorry this a bit above your price point but would consider the BMAX B2 versions under 5k - I almost went with that myself.

Edited by lopburi3

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As your post does not state any price point not sure how tight your budget is but for me BMAX B3 mini computer makes sense here and have bought myself.  Everything in small box with no heat or noise - plug and play on any monitor or TV via HDMI.  Hook up mouse/keyboard and good to go.  I bought this for 8k and very happy with it.  If you need gaming computer would not be that great but for normal usage very fast and takes up no space.

I have an excellent large cooler master case with a 500 GB SSD, so I don't need to replace that.

Also I have a special setup where my PC is in another room than my office, with wiring integrated in the walls, so I would like to keep it like that.

My budget for an MB with sufficient onboard graphics, a CPU and 16 GB DDR 4 RAM and a PS, I would have hoped to get for less than 10K

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

The i5 remains more powerful than the newer gen i3.

So let's get things in perspective.

Everyone has a different perception of powerful. With cars, a BMW 530 will be considered powerful by most, but others will claim they need a Ferrari.

My current PC had an i5 - 750 2.7 Ghz with 8 GB DDR3 RAM, and was fast enough for my needs.

How would that compare to an I3-12100 3.3 GHz with 16 GB DDR4 RAM?

Would the second hand MB with 2 year Synnex warranty left be a good idea to consider or not?

Edited by BenStark

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

So let's get things in perspective.

Everyone has a different perception of powerful. With cars, a BMW 530 will be considered powerful by most, but others will claim they need a Ferrari.

My current PC had an i5 - 750 2.7 Ghz with 8 GB DDR3 RAM, and was fast enough for my needs.

How would that compare to an I3-12100 3.3 GHz with 16 GB DDR4 RAM?

The extra RAM and bus speed plus higher processor speed would likely make the i3 the better choice. Just a guess. My choice would be any i5 down to a 9th gen.

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Would the second hand MB with 2 year Synnex warranty left be a good idea to consider or not?

Yep. Worst outcome is you get to buy another board in 2 years time. The main advantage of the newer processor is that it allows you to buy uprated boards in the future while still being ble to use your existing processor. CPU's are expensive in comparison to boards. I'd look to buy the 2nd hand board and the newest CPU that it will support.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The extra RAM and bus speed plus higher processor speed would likely make the i3 the better choice. Just a guess. My choice would be any i5 down to a 9th gen.

Yep. Worst outcome is you get to buy another board in 2 years time. The main advantage of the newer processor is that it allows you to buy uprated boards in the future while still being ble to use your existing processor. CPU's are expensive in comparison to boards. I'd look to buy the 2nd hand board and the newest CPU that it will support.

That board supports 10th generation, so I guess that board with an i5-10400 will be the way to go.

As @ignis mentioned, the i3 12100 has Intel 730 graphics, while the i5-1400 has Intel 630 graphics, what would that mean for me?

I wonder why you say worst case you have to buy another board in 2 years. You think there could be hidden issues that will only show after a few years?

I had thought if there is an issue with the board, it will show right away and I get it replaced under warranty.

I also believe Gigabyte is a quality brand for MB's, but that could just be an impression because of the test on the box.

Just now, BenStark said:

That board supports 10th generation, so I guess that board with an i5-10400 will be the way to go.

I think so. Cheapest option while still getting a good rig.

Just now, BenStark said:

As @ignis mentioned, the i3 12100 has Intel 730 graphics, while the i5-1400 has Intel 630 graphics, what would that mean for me?

If not playing games, probably nothing. I do know the 630 graphics won't support QHD, only FHD. Should you start watching movies regularly on it I would then just go buy an external graphics card which will beat the pants off any inbuilt graphics, even a cheap one. I think I paid $150 to buy a small one to put in my Cooler Master case to support QHD monitors using my i9 990K CPU.

Just now, BenStark said:

I wonder why you say worst case you have to buy another board in 2 years. You think there could be hidden issues that will only show after a few years?

No, only that since it's covered by warranty you can't be out of pocket for 2 years. After which time you might want to look around for a new board anyway, just for fun.

Just now, BenStark said:

I had thought if there is an issue with the board, it will show right away and I get it replaced under warranty.

Normally, true. I did not mean to imply there might be an issue with the board now.

Just now, BenStark said:

I also believe Gigabyte is a quality brand for MB's, but that could just be an impression because of the test on the box.

Probably the best regarded MB.

@ozimoron Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I have no need for QHD since I use a PC for what it should be used. For watching movies there are other designated devices.

So I think the Gigabyte MB with a i5-10400 will be the way to go then.

I have such a feeling that I have to hurry up with my processor, because the i5-10400 cost 4990 at JIB, but when I look on Shopee or Lazada, I see prices starting at 7000 baht, and that is all from overseas.

I guess a huge price increase is in the pipeline

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, BenStark said:

@ozimoron Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I have no need for QHD since I use a PC for what it should be used. For watching movies there are other designated devices.

So I think the Gigabyte MB with a i5-10400 will be the way to go then.

I have such a feeling that I have to hurry up with my processor, because the i5-10400 cost 4990 at JIB, but when I look on Shopee or Lazada, I see prices starting at 7000 baht, and that is all from overseas.

I guess a huge price increase is in the pipeline

Looks like they are getting hard to come by already. My 9th gen is less than 4 years old.

https://www.bnn.in.th/en/p/intel-cpu-core-i5-10400-29-ghz-6c12t-lga1200-bx8070110400_d11y4l

Edited by ozimoron

Ok I did some research and I learned that NEXT CPU's are actually original Intel bought in bulk, then a non original fan is added to it.

The fan is claimed not to be as good as the original one, and warranty can only be claimed thorugh the shop where you bought. Advice is a NEXT dealer.

I do have a Coolermaster heatsink in my current PC, and have another brandnew one from another brand in the cupboard.

Can they still be used on an LGA 1200 MB or have mountings for heatsinks changed over the years?

Edit: found the answer already. Coolers for LGA 115X are identical to LGA 1200

Edited by BenStark

15 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Ok I did some research and I learned that NEXT CPU's are actually original Intel bought in bulk, then a non original fan is added to it.

The fan is claimed not to be as good as the original one, and warranty can only be claimed thorugh the shop where you bought. Advice is a NEXT dealer.

I do have a Coolermaster heatsink in my current PC, and have another brandnew one from another brand in the cupboard.

Can they still be used on an LGA 1200 MB or have mountings for heatsinks changed over the years?

Edit: found the answer already. Coolers for LGA 115X are identical to LGA 1200

Do make sure you reseat the CPU cooler with thermal paste.

MB and CPU on the way, looking for RAM now.

Are there any legit sellers left on Lazada or Shopee? All of them give like 1 year warranty, some even less, for brandname RAM.

I thought it was lifetime by default, so I guess there are no doubts it's all counterfeit stuff?

Looking now at 2 x 8 GB DDR 4 2666 Apacer panther for 1250 baht from Advice.

Google tells me it's good stuff, but I wonder why JIB and Advice have big discounts only for this brand.

15 minutes ago, BenStark said:

MB and CPU on the way, looking for RAM now.

Are there any legit sellers left on Lazada or Shopee? All of them give like 1 year warranty, some even less, for brandname RAM.

I thought it was lifetime by default, so I guess there are no doubts it's all counterfeit stuff?

Looking now at 2 x 8 GB DDR 4 2666 Apacer panther for 1250 baht from Advice.

Google tells me it's good stuff, but I wonder why JIB and Advice have big discounts only for this brand.

Personally, I like to use a more expensive brand only on the premise that you get what you pay for but I have no reason to think that RAM won't be ok. Again, it's got warranty so the downside is you might want to kick yourself in the butt in a year or two but this is the cheapest item in your list so don't stress. Go for it.

Did you buy a new power supply? I really would.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Personally, I like to use a more expensive brand only on the premise that you get what you pay for but I have no reason to think that RAM won't be ok. Again, it's got warranty so the downside is you might want to kick yourself in the butt in a year or two but this is the cheapest item in your list so don't stress. Go for it.

Did you buy a new power supply? I really would.

The normal price for this RAM is 2290 baht for 2 x 8 GB at JIB, and the one I order from Advice has LT warranty and is 1250 baht. It's the Panther gold.

I only wondered if all those sellers that offer 1 year warranty are selling fake stuff or not.

Haven't ordered a PS yet, but will soon.

So far i got pretty good deals because of coupons and cashback options

The Gigabyte MB with 2 year Synnex / JIB warranty at 1630 baht

The i5 10400 from Advice 3 year warranty for 4300 baht

• Like 1