Pattaya bar owner faces loan shark threats forcing staff to undress for debt money

webfact

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

800,000 baht (US$23,100) in debt, with a daily interest payment of 30,000 baht (US$870).

this is actually real ? the monthly interest is 900k. hahahah o man i love being human. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

The interest rates are just mental.....in our village they are 3% per month.....people only tend to borrow small amounts, but even so!!!!

Yes, it's crazy. That is 36% in usual used rates (2 times the 18% max legal, correct me if I'm wrong)... I sign whenever for 36% per annum return. But not when stealing it from poor people.

As said, so sad people cannot do maths before borrowing. Or just save upfront, makes life so easier. Education I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

The interest rates are just mental.....in our village they are 3% per month.....people only tend to borrow small amounts, but even so!!!!

In our village there is also a daily rate. Borrow 100 bht today and pay back between 130 and 150 bht tomorrow......insane.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The manager of the apartment building I used to live in loaned out small (10K or less) amounts at 10% interest per month.  I was never a customer, but I knew a couple people who were.

Another friend of a friend owed about 300,000 and was paying 30K per month.  She had a good job and an American boyfriend, but was struggling to make ends meet and had no prospect of ever paying her debt off.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

However, as time went on, she found herself unable to make the interest payments and resorted to taking loans from other sources to make ends meet.

As if that would solve anything... 

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

For some folks when you get in deep you just keep getting in deeper as there is no way up and out.  Digging a hole is what she did, and it only got deeper.  Sometimes one just needs to fold and close-up and one day restart.  Getting in over your head is never a good idea.

Back in the mid 1990s the loan shark rate was 20 baht per 1,000 baht borrowed, per day, going up every day the debt is unpaid.

Banks only borrow you money if you have a guarantor. Having an outside bank.

You would be a guarantor? I wouldnt.

Long time ago, red a story on Thaivisaforum.

Daughter had loan, father was guarantor. Though daughter later had good job, she didnt pay off loan and father became the owner to pay. Nice, even own family you cant trust.

So you cant get money without a guarantor, but then there is ...the loan shark and you make the wrong decision. I believe "Big Joke" is still focused on this.

She has to go police and expose the criminals. Yeah hard, as it can blow up in your face. The things people do for money. 

5 hours ago, 300sd said:

It's unbelievable that anyone would borrow from these low life creatures. The sad part is that they do because they are desperate and have to have it no matter what. Perhaps they gamble it away or their baby is sick in hospital, who knows why? I blame the system, poor education, and the banks for not doing a better job for these people. The loan sharks need to be laid to rest. I hate that scum.

Some people who receive the loans do not think about the future , they don't think about paying the money back , they are just overjoyed with having a pocketful of money and how they are going to spend it and they cannot believe their luck when other people keep giving them money, ...................until they are 900 000 Baht in debt .

The money lenders will have to make a public statement to show the results of not repaying debts to them and it may be in her interests to take out a life insurance policy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

This is on a different level at 3.75% per DAY.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

For some folks when you get in deep you just keep getting in deeper as there is no way up and out.  Digging a hole is what she did, and it only got deeper.  Sometimes one just needs to fold and close-up and one day restart.  Getting in over your head is never a good idea.

Same MO as a gambler.

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

A few times someone has told me their loan amount and I've asked what interest rate they're paying, when I'm met with blank looks. I ask the monthly repayment and can mostly do the calculation in my head which reveals a ridiculous interest rate. They simply have no idea nor any simple arithmetic skills. 

Financial literacy appears to be an endangered species among a lot of the common folks here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangel72 said:

Very common to see the lending without collateral with rates that they have zero chance of paying back.

I once had a girlfriend whose parents were money-lenders. Both were Thai teachers in their day-jobs. The father had a handgun collection. If debtors couldn't pay loans back in time, this couple would go there, knock on the door, gun in hand, asking for the money back. - They also had a farm. One day I went there with them. The father pointed to a hill on the farm, asking me if I liked it. I said it looked nice. Later my then girlfriend translated, 'if I had said that I liked the hill, he would have given it to me'...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

'The interest rates are just mental.....in our village they are 3% per month...' 

That's a bargain! Here in the Philippines several companies advertise on-line loans. The interest rate is 14.7% a MONTH, plus an establishment fee. GF has relatives who regularly lend out at 10% a month. 

Edited by biggles45

7 hours ago, n00dle said:

The woman is an idiot. 

simples.

This type of behavior is common in small villages. 

I have seen several women in one small village rack up this kind of debt, and worse, actually.

Also, I was friends with a farang moneylender which gave such insight hearing about his many customers.