Alcohol ban in Thailand on June 3 for Visakha Bucha

webfact

I don't mind showing respect for any religion, but their must be thousands of better ways than this out-dated useless ban.

The problem I find with Thailand, is, that nobody seems to question these draconian laws that really shouldn't have been imposed in the first place. Lets hope the new government starts to question laws & rules like this & brings Thailand in from the dark ages.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

But for Muslims pork and for Hindus beef is a whole year prohibited..But in Thailand there is an alcohol ban always when there is something to celebrate...But  drugs are allowed for everyone, even in candy and food... 

yes the state should not ban or allow anything....if someone want to drink or use drugs and is an adult (can discuss what age)...not the governments business.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Can't be many of those devote Buddhists where I live indiscriminately poisoning dogs and eating meat as their religion states they cannot take a life. 

Buddhist behaviour towards and thinking about animals is not always positive.

The doctrine of karma implies that souls are reborn as animals because of past misdeeds. Being reborn as an animal is a serious spiritual setback.

Because non-human animals can't engage in conscious acts of self-improvement they can't improve their karmic status, and their souls must continue to be reborn as animals until their bad karma is exhausted. Only when they are reborn as human beings can they resume the quest for nirvana.

This bad karma, and the animal's inability to do much to improve it, led Buddhists in the past to think that non-human animals were inferior to human beings and so were entitled to fewer rights than human beings.

Early Buddhists (but not the Buddha himself) used the idea that animals were spiritually inferior as a justification for the exploitation and mistreatment of animals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Too sensible.

Some folks just like to control others and enjoy telling people what to do. 

Yes, while they may not enjoy a beer, a cigarette or even marijuana they find pleasure in controlling other people. In the past I thought it is mainly middle age women but now I see that there are also plenty of men with that mindset.

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

LOL. Yes, just in time for the next beer shutdown on the 5th June for yet another public holiday

It’s a govt holiday not a Buddha day 

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Already done my weekly shopping at Lotus's a couple of days back

Plenty of Chang beer in the fridge ???? 

Thank god you thought ahead , I’m sure your liver is relieved as most of us are 

12 minutes ago, Jack james said:

I drink but I think u have a problem if u can't go a few hours without it!

image.png.943d5e037812b6de05e0620a2301873e.png

This isn't about not being able to have a drink that day. We've already established that people can buy in advance or find ways to buy it on the day and drink as much as they like on that day if they so wish.

It's about the government using religion to exert control and virtue signal. If you like being controlled by your 'superiors' in the name of a religion that you may not even adhere to then that's fine. Many of us do not.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Buddhist behaviour towards and thinking about animals is not always positive.

The doctrine of karma implies that souls are reborn as animals because of past misdeeds. Being reborn as an animal is a serious spiritual setback.

Because non-human animals can't engage in conscious acts of self-improvement they can't improve their karmic status, and their souls must continue to be reborn as animals until their bad karma is exhausted. Only when they are reborn as human beings can they resume the quest for nirvana.

This bad karma, and the animal's inability to do much to improve it, led Buddhists in the past to think that non-human animals were inferior to human beings and so were entitled to fewer rights than human beings.

Early Buddhists (but not the Buddha himself) used the idea that animals were spiritually inferior as a justification for the exploitation and mistreatment of animals.

So, either Thais are "early Buddhists" or just refuse to consider the question then...

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Oeps, was wrong. Monday is the Queen's birthday, alcohol allowed.

Not quite correct.

Queens birthday is also on Saturday June 3rd.

Monday is just a "substitute" holiday. Sure no alcohol ban.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I hope the MFP will ban these alcohol free day bans.... Too stupid nowadays. Give the people some responsibility, and besides that what is a party without alcohol?/ Vesaka is in Christianity Christmas, Easter and  Pentecost.... 

It is a bit daft. Hurts a lot of businesses and bewilders the tourists, plus basically treats everyone like a kid. Just a face/show thing… ooh, we can’t have any of that, not on Buddha day! Time for Thailand to grow up a bit… also drop the silly 2-5 no sell alcohol in the big shops thing while they’re at it. I hate that when I’m on an all-dayer! ????

2 hours ago, Jack james said:

I drink but I think u have a problem if u can't go a few hours without it!

I have a problem if someone else decide my drinking hours. Would you accept if I decide when you are allowed to drink a beer? I guess not. Than why let it Prayuth decide?

18 minutes ago, h90 said:

I have a problem if someone else decide my drinking hours. Would you accept if I decide when you are allowed to drink a beer? I guess not. Than why let it Prayuth decide?

Prayuth does not decide for anyone though as these no alcohol buddhist days were around long before he came to power !!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

It is a bit daft. Hurts a lot of businesses and bewilders the tourists, plus basically treats everyone like a kid. Just a face/show thing… ooh, we can’t have any of that, not on Buddha day! Time for Thailand to grow up a bit… also drop the silly 2-5 no sell alcohol in the big shops thing while they’re at it. I hate that when I’m on an all-dayer! ????

Not only that, if you have a business, you can't even buy at Makro.. That is a wholeseller... It is too stupid for words, but I am used to it.. It is no SELLING, but we can DRINK it ????

21 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

I don't mind showing respect for any religion, but their must be thousands of better ways than this out-dated useless ban.

The problem I find with Thailand, is, that nobody seems to question these draconian laws that really shouldn't have been imposed in the first place. Lets hope the new government starts to question laws & rules like this & brings Thailand in from the dark ages.   

I think I might prioritize a few other things than worry over this which is only about 3 days every year. Let's face it, religion has imposed harsher restrictions elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.

Without thinking, so skewed is my moral compass, I drank a small can of Chang with my supper last night, as is my foul habit.

Woe is me, Woe is me. What will become of me - I can feel the foundations of my life, and the society in which I live, rocking as I write!