Savannakhet Setv denied

Been in Thailand for long time, past three years i was on non o business visa and changed over to tourist visa on last  November or so, had one visa run last year and one this year. I was going to apply for Setv in savannakhet again but officer told me I can't apply for tourist visa anymore, which was surprising coz I've done visa runs back in 18-19 and never had any problem there. How can I get tourist visa now? What's the alternative?

4 minutes ago, Jhansoz said:
9 minutes ago, swerve said:

Can you return to Thailand now visa exempt and then sort out something later (after a 30 day extension)?

Do you mean entering the Thailand without setv? 

Simple enough question, can you?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Yes.  I am assuming you are in Savanakhet and that you want to come back to Thailand now.  Maybe you can come back to Thailand using visa exempt and sort out another embassy/consulate that may be more likely to grant you a SETV later. 

5 minutes ago, swerve said:

Yes.  I am assuming you are in Savanakhet and that you want to come back to Thailand now.  Maybe you can come back to Thailand using visa exempt and sort out another embassy/consulate that may be more likely to grant you a SETV later. 

Oh i understand, sorry that asking coz i never done it before, always got Setv when i enter Thailand. Is there any requirements as getting visa exempt from land border?

• Confused 1

Visa exempt arrival (30 days stay plus extendable 30 days) is allowed at land borders. From the internet I find Visa exempt entry to Thailand is granted if you have a passport from one of these countries:

Andorra Australia Austria Belgium Bahrain Brunei Canada Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Iceland Indonesia Ireland Israel Italy Japan Kuwait Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malaysia Maldives Mauritius Monaco The Netherlands New Zealand Norway Oman The Philippines Poland Portugal Qatar San Marino Saudi Arabia (&VoA) Singapore Slovak Slovenia Spain South Africa Sweden Switzerland Turkey Ukraine UAE UK USA

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swerve said:

Visa exempt arrival (30 days stay plus extendable 30 days) is allowed at land borders. From the internet I find Visa exempt entry to Thailand is granted if you have a passport from one of these countries:

Andorra Australia Austria Belgium Bahrain Brunei Canada Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Iceland Indonesia Ireland Israel Italy Japan Kuwait Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malaysia Maldives Mauritius Monaco The Netherlands New Zealand Norway Oman The Philippines Poland Portugal Qatar San Marino Saudi Arabia (&VoA) Singapore Slovak Slovenia Spain South Africa Sweden Switzerland Turkey Ukraine UAE UK USA

Yes i hold one of these passports, so I'll try to enter by visa exempt and see how it goes

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did the Savannakhet consulate give a reason why they wouldn't give you a SETV? Their published requirements are as follows.

Required Documents

1. Visa application form [Download] completely filled out and signed by the applicant
  2. Original and a copy of passport (must not expire within 180 days and contain at least two complete empty visa pages)
  3. Two (2) photos of the applicant (3.5 x 4.5 cm, taken within 6 months)
  4. Visa Fee: Single Entry (1,000 Baht) or Multiple Entries (5,000 Baht)
  5. Travel itinerary to and from Thailand and accommodation e.g. plane/train/bus ticket, hotel booking, letter from whom you will be staying with and a signed copy of his/her ID
  6. Evidence of adequate finance
    - Single-Entry Tourist Visa: 3-month financial statements with an average balance of 20,000 baht per person or 40,000 baht per family
    - Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: 6-month financial statements 200,000 baht per person
  7. Proof of permanent residence in Lao PDR (For Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa applicant)

20 minutes ago, swerve said:

That's the theory.

If he will be granted one, that's another story. (Given his history)

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Did the Savannakhet consulate give a reason why they wouldn't give you a SETV? Their published requirements are as follows.

Required Documents

1. Visa application form [Download] completely filled out and signed by the applicant
  2. Original and a copy of passport (must not expire within 180 days and contain at least two complete empty visa pages)
  3. Two (2) photos of the applicant (3.5 x 4.5 cm, taken within 6 months)
  4. Visa Fee: Single Entry (1,000 Baht) or Multiple Entries (5,000 Baht)
  5. Travel itinerary to and from Thailand and accommodation e.g. plane/train/bus ticket, hotel booking, letter from whom you will be staying with and a signed copy of his/her ID
  6. Evidence of adequate finance
    - Single-Entry Tourist Visa: 3-month financial statements with an average balance of 20,000 baht per person or 40,000 baht per family
    - Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: 6-month financial statements 200,000 baht per person
  7. Proof of permanent residence in Lao PDR (For Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa applicant)

Not a specific reason, he looked at my passport and saw many back to back since long time ago and recent one, he just said "i can't give you tourist visa bc i don't think you are" something like this at least. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Jhansoz said:

Not a specific reason, he looked at my passport and saw many back to back since long time ago and recent one, he just said "i can't give you tourist visa bc i don't think you are" something like this at least. 

Its been known since 2019, the Savannakhet consulate is strict. If you stayed 3 out of the last 6 months in Thailand they will not give you a tourist visa.

1 hour ago, Jhansoz said:

Oh i understand, sorry that asking coz i never done it before, always got Setv when i enter Thailand. Is there any requirements as getting visa exempt from land border?

Since there's no new visa in your passport, Mukdahan immigration will probably give you 14-day visa-exempt entry but they may ask questions about your onward travel plans. I haven't heard of people being denied entry there and sent back to Savannakhet to work out another way home (I believe that one of the Thai immigration offices on the Cambodian border has done this). Maybe prepare yourself with one of those cheap 'disposable' onward flight bookings available online, just in case?

Some Consulates will write a comment on your new visa saying as much as the Savannakhet chap said in that you have too many entries. Consider that a bonus and prepare for leaving Thailand for a spell.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

It shouldn't be a problem to be admitted visa exempt at the Mukdahan border crossing.

They are not known to be interested in your "history", they just check that you haven't had two visa exempt entries by land in the same calendar year yet, as that's the official limit.

Such a 30 day visa exempt entry can then be extended by 30 days, just like a tourist visa entry. Enough time to figure out a longterm solution. 

It is very unlikely that you would have the slightest problem getting a visa exemption entering via the Friendship Bridge 2 from Savannakhet.

Do not squander those two visa exempt entries by land. They should be husbanded for situations like the current one where you unexpectedly failed to get a visa from an embassy/consulate.

Going forward, getting tourist visas anywhere in the region as a long stay tourist is becoming difficult, if not impossible. You might get one in Vientiane (need an appointment). Other possibilities are Yangon and Kota Bharu.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Instead of by land you could also fly in as there seems to be no limit on how many 30 day exemption by air. Of course up to the IO, if he doesn't like your nose you might be denied which is however unlikely anyway.

There is no stated limit however back to back visa exempt entries via air would soon lead to refused entry with extended history in Thailand without spending time out of country. 

2 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Instead of by land you could also fly in as there seems to be no limit on how many 30 day exemption by air. Of course up to the IO, if he doesn't like your nose you might be denied which is however unlikely anyway.

With the OP's history, the risk of denied entry flying in without a visa certainly wouldn't be negligible. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, at15 said:

Its been known since 2019, the Savannakhet consulate is strict. If you stayed 3 out of the last 6 months in Thailand they will not give you a tourist visa.

My last visa run serie was at '19, back then savannakhet was so relax and easy. 

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

It shouldn't be a problem to be admitted visa exempt at the Mukdahan border crossing.

They are not known to be interested in your "history", they just check that you haven't had two visa exempt entries by land in the same calendar year yet, as that's the official limit.

Such a 30 day visa exempt entry can then be extended by 30 days, just like a tourist visa entry. Enough time to figure out a longterm solution. 

I hope so, I'll try tomorrow and see how it goes, then look for long term solution.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, at15 said:

No true. I got a TR there 3 months ago having stayed in Thailand for more than 4 months in the previous 6 months on visa exempts (45 day ones) and extensions etc. Hadn't had a TR before though. The OP has an even longer history however...

Edited by dastott

5 hours ago, at15 said:

That limit has only been applied (without additional factors) in the last couple of months. There has been a marked increase in the risk of denied tourist visa applications recently, to the point where the most respected visa run company organising trips to Savannakhet will no longer accept those planning to apply for tourist visas.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

That limit has only been applied (without additional factors) in the last couple of months. There has been a marked increase in the risk of denied tourist visa applications recently, to the point where the most respected visa run company organising trips to Savannakhet will no longer accept those planning to apply for tourist visas.

Used to be savannakhet was the safest spot for visa run, apparently not anymore, where's next then?

8 minutes ago, Jhansoz said:

Used to be savannakhet was the safest spot for visa run, apparently not anymore, where's next then?

I have no words of comfort to offer you. In general, requirements have tightened pretty much everywhere in the region. Although requiring an appointment, Vientiane is less likely to deny a tourist visa application then Savannakhet as long as you satisfy all the requirements. Previously pretty good (no recent reports, but hopefully no news is good news) are Yangon and Kota Bharu.

Depending on your nationality, if you are in your home country, application for a tourist visa through the e-visa system may be less likely to be denied than at an embassy/consulate in the region.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There is no stated limit however back to back visa exempt entries via air would soon lead to refused entry with extended history in Thailand without spending time out of country. 

Could you show me of any source where it shows that happened? Because I hear people say it a lot but I have never seen any first hand experiences.